Missing the point

Published August 4th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I believe many non Pastafarians are missing the point…

I try not to be as condescending as some other pirates on this site, but there are extremists in all aspects of "religion". Deal with it. Truth be told, I get a little defensive too when my thoughts are criticized.

The reason I point out FSM to many people is to bring light to the absurdity that religion has taken. Most of the preaching you seen in the site is merely the regurgitation of other religions BS that we have had shoved down our throats since we were children. All we are doing is repackaging it and sending it back out. If you study religious history you will notice that this is the same way Christianity and many other religions came to be originally as well.

There are many redeeming qualities of the people of other religions and what they believe. I have many things in common with people who just want to do the right thing and “live and let live”. I just wish that people who preach other religions would realize that they, and the people that wrote the religions, are fallible and that there is a highly likely chance that no one here understands why we are here and exactly how we should be conducting ourselves. I would like to be able to live my life in a manner that I see fit without being persecuted. I am being persecuted by the overly religious and when I read this site I find that I am not the only one who feels that way.

Modern regions’ practice and doctrine is based on the brain power of men (no women’s opinions were even considered) who thought that the world was flat, the earth was the center of the universe, and that a good bleeding could pull the demons out of you. I think the human race is smarter and more evolved than that today. I do not know why people are so against thinking for themselves? I guess it is just easier to blindly follow.

I feel this site gives those of us that are tired of being pressured to believe in something that in our heart we have found to be childish and petty a way to finally come together and not feel so isolated in our feelings. Before this site, it was hard to express my frustration. Other religions already have mechanisms for this such as temples, and churches. This is site is a gathering place. I do not go into churches and criticize others for what they are doing. If you do not like this site, then don’t view it. I am sure I would get ridiculed and condemned if I were to walk into a church and start talking about how archaic and closed minded I think the belief system is. The members of the church would get defensive as do the members of this group when they are challenged.

I merely want to talk to and be around those that have the same moral values that I have. This is why we flock together in the same ways the larger “religions” do. So please let us have our space to be who we choose to be.

May the wisdom of the FSM be understood and enjoyed by all. Ramen.

-David Muck

178 Responses to “Missing the point”

1 6 7 8 9 10 12
  1. Kris says:

Through this, do you not see similar persecution and fallibility? Even if it is for the sake of irony?

2. s.oliver says:

is this some kind of joke? there’s only one god, and if you can’t find him without concerning yourself about all this other junk, then i feel sorry for you. there is no spaghetti monster god, or any other god, than JESUS CHRIST OUT LORD.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

“OUT lord”? If Jesus is out, who’s in? The Holy Ghost? It’s about time he got some love.
      Oh, wait – you said there’s only one God, but before Jesus there was….
      I can understand your confusion, Ollie. Christian theology is a damn mess and completely illogical.

• Not so hairless Ape says:

I think s.oliver is saying Jesus has admitted he’s gay. He’s OUT of the closet now.

• gordon says:

His dad will not be too best pleased!

• Sean Boyd says:

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

• pirate/not pirate says:

but many christians think its bad (because they think their god think sits bad) but to us its not because his noodeliness loves us alotz

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

Prove it.

• Alex says:

Jesus was the son of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, if you have any empirical evidence to prove me wrong, collect $1,000,000 http://boingboing.net/2005/08/19/boing-boings-250000-.html and no, it’s not a dodgy sight, it is a $1,000,000 challenge for people to prove that Jesus wasn’t the son of the FSM. Been five years and no one has taken it up yet…

I feel sorry for you, not believing in the noodly goodness which is the FSM for some false stone aged hippy who while turning water into wind didn’t even give the beer drinkers the slightest thought… talk about poor at catering…

3. Lynn says:

…Okay … I’m a Christian, and I have to say that I’m a little offended by this website, but to all you Christians out there who are throwing fits, screaming at these people and taking this seriously, lighten up. It’s because of you that the people here are so against religion. I’m fairly certain that the people here don’t actually believe some spaghetti created them, and your admonishing them and telling them that they should be Christians is only going to push them further away. Leave well enough alone.

• Not so hairless Ape says:

Lynn, I will give you credit for trying to be a voice of reason but I have to call you to task for assuming why we are “so against religion”. I won’t presume to speak for any of the others here, as for myself, I would say that the MAJORITY of the reason I’m against religion is that none of it makes any kind of rational sense. The self righteous, scripture quoting, dogmatic, would-be facists only make up about 33% of why I’m against religion.

If the faithful, of any stripe, could be happy in their belief and leave everyone else alone I’d still be against it. Willful ignorance is simply disgusting.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

No, those kind of people just continue to prove my point of WHY I am against religion. It is a sheep mindset that makes science and discovery contingent on what the powerful want the sheep to learn and know… Not to mention that nothing else has caused as much blood shed as religion. I am with Ape on this one.

4. Pasta says:

I think that Pastafarianism presents a greater challenge to organized religion than its given credit for.

For one, it could be taken only as a satire to religions in general and Xianity in particular. But that’s already been done, to little actual effect – you have Russell’s teapot, or the Invisible Pink Unicorn. A problem of satire is that it mostly works for preaching to the choir, or those of neutral standing, and not anyone else. We won’t get many converts this way, not by a longshot.

On the other hand, if you take it straight (if tongue in cheek) , it could present some viable competition to more orthodox religions, without any of their baggage. It has none of Western religion’s dogmas, none of Eastern religion’s overly complicated mythology, and none of New Age’s overuse of symbolics over substance.

It also has a trait not present in any of the surviving orthodox religions – *a sense of humor*. For the very notion that faith need not be a “serious” matter is enough to shatter dogmas and topple idols. Now THAT is Pastafarianism’s chief strength: you can’t mock it, for mockery is what started it in the first place; you can’t argue with it, for it uses all of your arguments for itself, and brings more of its own; and it’s getting harder and harder to ignore it, for let’s face it – it’s popular all by itself.

You can always, of course, convert. Can’t you?

RAmen

• Sean Boyd says:

Plus, spaghetti just freakin’ kicks ass.

5. Pasta Princess says:

Ok…new to this site, my husband just told me about it tonight as we were discussing the Larry King episode about Stephen Hawking’s new book. Figured it might have been fun to call in and join the debate but figured it wouldn’t be good for the sleeping baby to raise my voice! I’ve spent the last hour reading various comments and looking at pictures and lmao. I love it and I’m ready to be a member! I’m also a member of the Inca Sun Worshipper religion cuz if you’re going to worship anything, it should be the sun which provides us the means to live….right?!

Love your sight and, like it’s been said already, the comments from the righteous religious continually keep me from setting foot in any kind of church. More death and destruction has come from religion than anything else in this world.

Hail to the noodle!

I just ate spaghetti for dinner btw!

• Sean Boyd says:

It sounds like you’re a pastafarian already!

• kgb says:

Welcome. I haven’t been back here for a long time, but this site helped me find some great people!

6. Mark says:

For the longest time I felt the circle of ‘thinkers’ was shrinking. No problem with religion or religious people but it seems they want others to conform to their beliefs. Those that think the Pastafarian religion is blasphemous and silly but their beliefs are not. So glad there are people that question, which leaves room for question.
    Why can’t people just accept that there are questions in life that we may never have answers for. What makes life so interesting is that we don’t have all the answers. What is with the intolerance to those who don’t believe the same as you?

Thanks for putting up the site. My family and I are firm believers. Since Heaven is filled with THOSE kind of people…I look forward to seeing you and my other friends in Hell!!!

7. Jonathan says:

I have a serious problem with some of the pictures on this site. All these non-believers drawing pictures of our Lord the Flying Spagetti Monster are terrible sinners. FSM IS NOT TO BE DRAWN. You think its funny now, but wait until you are spending an eternity in boiling pasta sauce….you won’t be laughing then.

8. A.M says:

We Christians do not criticize people like you, in fact, we were the ones killed and tortured for our beliefs.
    But all I’m saying is Christians just want to tell you about God so you don’t have to be punished for your sins, you don’t have to listen…though I recommend you should.. quite hot down there in hell. The thing I don’t understand is why you guys complain about us when you don’t have to listen, but we have to listen to your beliefs in public school. The Bible tells us that we are supposed to keep a calm tone and love our enemies, but when we protest, we suddenly become opinion haters, but I can see where you’re coming from, the ‘closing-in feeling’. I’m not saying this stuff in an angry or nasty way, I just wanted to explain our side of the story, and though we’re on opposite sides I will pray for you.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

We Christians do not criticize people like you,
      ** Have you looked at the hatemail? Have you checked out people’s opinions of how atheists should be treated in America? Yes, you “Christians” do.

in fact, we were the ones killed and tortured for our beliefs.
      ** You seem to be forgetting the Crusades, the Inquisition, Salem Witch Trials, Ireland, Israel… That would be you guys doing the killing and torturing people to believe what you believe.

** Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, then burned it and scattered the ashes.

** YEAH for veiled threats. You xians sure are good at them.

** You are trying to force us to listen by coming to our website and typing your crap. Then you try to force our children to learn religion dressed up as science in our public schools. You are trying to grab our faces and scream in our ears. Why do you complain when someone has a different belief than you? Why do you feel it necessary to come here when you could just as well leave it alone.

but we have to listen to your beliefs in public school.
      ** Do you? What exactly? What is taught in schools is fact, which is exactly why ID is not taught. I am a teacher dear. I know the difference between fact and fiction
      ** Mainly because we don’t care if you are offended, and get a little pissed at being called an enemy. When one does that, you are acting like an opinion hater. Otherwise you would recognize our right to have our opinion and live in peace.

but I can see where you’re coming from, the ‘closing-in feeling’.
      ** Right, because people who think atheists shouldn’t be allowed to vote, be citizens, or run for office is perfectly acceptable. People calling us enemies because we don’t believe in an invisible sky daddy. Great. Otherwise, we live perfectly happy lives. It is actually quite freeing not having to be boxed in.

I’m not saying this stuff in an angry or nasty way,
      ** No, you just wanted to tell us how wrong we are, threaten our eternal souls, and make it clear that we are enemies. Not nasty at all.

** Again with the enemies thing. Most of us already lived your side of the story. Then we decided to do some research and educate ourselves. Now here we are. And I would prefer, instead of praying, that you actually did something productive like help build a house for Habitat for Humanity or volunteer in a soup kitchen. At least then you would be helping someone who needs it, and actually doing something real.

• Danimal says:

A.M.,
      It is false when you say, “We Christians do not criticize people like you” You do criticize us either directly with hatemail, or passive aggressively with statements like, “I will pray for you.” or “.. quite hot down there in hell” You’re inches away from explicitly saying “I’m right and you’re wrong” What we are saying in return is “prove it” Prove to me that I am going to burn in hell because I don’t get on my knees and worship your abusive father figure from thousands of years ago. You’re right that you are free to talk but we don’t have to listen however we will stop you when you say something dangerous. I’m sure you’ve heard the old example of shouting “FIRE” in a crowded theater when there actually is no fire. That’s exactly what your doing. You’re yelling, “DAMNATION” but refusing to take responsibility when the panic ensues and expresses itself in religious extremism. If I am your enemy like you subtly claim then please stop loving me, just shut up and leave me alone.
      Danimal