Missing the point

Published August 4th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I believe many non Pastafarians are missing the point…

I try not to be as condescending as some other pirates on this site, but there are extremists in all aspects of "religion". Deal with it. Truth be told, I get a little defensive too when my thoughts are criticized.

The reason I point out FSM to many people is to bring light to the absurdity that religion has taken. Most of the preaching you seen in the site is merely the regurgitation of other religions BS that we have had shoved down our throats since we were children. All we are doing is repackaging it and sending it back out. If you study religious history you will notice that this is the same way Christianity and many other religions came to be originally as well.

There are many redeeming qualities of the people of other religions and what they believe. I have many things in common with people who just want to do the right thing and “live and let live”. I just wish that people who preach other religions would realize that they, and the people that wrote the religions, are fallible and that there is a highly likely chance that no one here understands why we are here and exactly how we should be conducting ourselves. I would like to be able to live my life in a manner that I see fit without being persecuted. I am being persecuted by the overly religious and when I read this site I find that I am not the only one who feels that way.

Modern regions’ practice and doctrine is based on the brain power of men (no women’s opinions were even considered) who thought that the world was flat, the earth was the center of the universe, and that a good bleeding could pull the demons out of you. I think the human race is smarter and more evolved than that today. I do not know why people are so against thinking for themselves? I guess it is just easier to blindly follow.

I feel this site gives those of us that are tired of being pressured to believe in something that in our heart we have found to be childish and petty a way to finally come together and not feel so isolated in our feelings. Before this site, it was hard to express my frustration. Other religions already have mechanisms for this such as temples, and churches. This is site is a gathering place. I do not go into churches and criticize others for what they are doing. If you do not like this site, then don’t view it. I am sure I would get ridiculed and condemned if I were to walk into a church and start talking about how archaic and closed minded I think the belief system is. The members of the church would get defensive as do the members of this group when they are challenged.

I merely want to talk to and be around those that have the same moral values that I have. This is why we flock together in the same ways the larger “religions” do. So please let us have our space to be who we choose to be.

May the wisdom of the FSM be understood and enjoyed by all. Ramen.

-David Muck

182 Responses to “Missing the point”

1. George12 says:

Dear Mr. Muck,

This entry you have written is stunningly refreshing and makes so much sense. I can’t thank you enough for writing this.

George

2. Hugo says:

David,

I appreciate the nature of the post. However, is Pastafarianism truly (written tongue firmly planted in cheek) inclusive of all Pastafarians of every race and creed? Is it open to those of us who worship Ramen as well as Chinese Chow Meinism? The Eastern sect of this religion has been woefully neglected as far as this Italo-Centric religion is concerned. Hopefully there is room for expansion.

May Pasta Be Done Unto You as You Do Unto Pasta.

Ramen,

Hugo.

3. Gordon_UK says:

Well put

4. Ham Nox says:

You are much touched in the ways of his Noodleyness :zen:

~*~

David “Muck”, eh?

Maybe it’s just a coincidence…

• Platypus Enthusiast says:

lol, i was thinkin the same thing ham

5. Mizar says:

So, if what you say is true, that FSM-ism is just satire, and an act to regurgitate that which organized religion shoves down your throat to stick it to ‘em, then you, the founder, must not actually believe in your OWN religion for the same reasons you don’t believe in others. (probably the longest sentence I’ve ever wrote)

The spaghetti monster is not legitimate belief, it’s a contradiction. It’s like a stubborn punk rocker wearing a tie on stage, a symbol of the formal workforce, while singing about how much the formal workforce blows. It’s simply the urge to rebel.

It’s not FSM-ism, it’s Being-a-Jackass-ism.

• Bosn_C_Otter says:

You must be just a real crack up at parties…. that you never get invited to.

• David Muck says:

To set the record straight, I am not the founder of the FSM. I was merely expressing my opinion about this beautiful social situation that has blossomed out of the original argument made by Mr. Henderson that challenged the teachings of non fact based studies in the school system.

Cheers to Mr. Henderson for being so brutally poignant in his letter to the school board.

• B. says:

The fact that you feel the need to point out how awesome it is that you can write a sentence, should make any further comment on your hatefilled post unneccessary. But I urge you to consider reading the name of Mr Mucks post again, if you are to tired to read the complete post.

Despite Mr Mucks name in my native tounge means “Picking a fight” I think he has some valid points you missed completely in a meaningless quest for a metaphor that, sadly, was total crap.

• Mizar says:

valid points? like preaching relativism? that “if it sounds right to me then it’s just as true”? Spare me. With that broken idealogy, you could easily convince yourself that the sky was green, and you’d be “right”.

• B. says:

This might surprise you, but there’s a whole group of people out there that believes in a man living in the sky, seeing everything you do. And they think they are “right”.

• Hugo says:

WHAT??? IT ISN’T GREEN??????

• Bosn_C_Otter says:

actually, I have seen a green sky, I have also seen a read one, orange, purple, etc…. most of the time you see blue, but if the situation is correct it will be a different color. thus is the open mind ready to see all possibilities and not just one. Simply put, there is just as much proof that the Flying Spaghetti Monster exist as there is for any God you wish to name. In fact, I would not be surprised if Christianity started out the same way. People tired of Judaism created Jesus as a goof, but they forgot just how gullible humans can be.

A hundred years from now there might be army’s of Pirates converting the masses by the cutlass and torture to the true faith of the FSM.

• Ham Nox says:

Oh glob, I hope you’re wrong *queasy*

• alex says:

You seem to have missed the noodles and only understood the meatballs and sauce of the FSM; I personally find David Muck’s comment an exquisite articulation of my own thoughts on the matter.

You say that the belief in the FSM is just an urge to rebel as if that is a bad thing, what is wrong about rebelling against indoctrination? If you are a Christian, surely you must know that Christianity is only formed as a consequence of a splitting (rebelling) from the Jewish belief system… and all the branches of Christianity are just rebelling from the rest. Most countries around the world have some form of rebellion in their history, these rebellions are often known as revolutions. Is rebelling always a bad thing? Personally I don’t think so.

The FSM is a parody for many of us because it allows us to express a little humour on the ridicule we receive if we otherwise mention being atheists or agnostics. We are little more then a community who prefer to discuss in a light hearted manor our beliefs, rather then being bigoted by those who conform to major indoctrinating belief systems. You only have yourself to blame if you see us as satire, for it is you who is taking offence at our actions, yet it is also you who have bothered to come onto our website, to be the jackass.

If I was to impersonate your favourite sports star and fumble acting really uncoordinated, would you be as offended? If I was to make fun of your occupation would you be as offended? Are you as offended when you read comics in the paper about people or political figures you support or look up to? I doubt it… is your faith really that weak that you have to come onto our website and try and bash our points of view? Is your ideology really that ungrounded that you have to point to those that who have developed amusing parody that their parody is “not legitimate belief”… if so perhaps you should address your own fragile beliefs before you decide to attack our parody…

As to your ‘proud moment’ for the longest sentence you have ever written… if perhaps you had perhaps added a semicolon within you could even have claimed it to be a “grammatically correct sentence”…

6. Bosn_C_Otter says:

A pirate inspired by Pasta and good Beer.

Fair winds and following seas Noodle brother!

7. Spiritual Agnostic says:

A couple of days ago, I got into a heated email exchange with a brother and aunt of mine, who insist (at the same time claiming to be Christian) that Muslims are THE ENEMY. I’m also from California, so have spent much of the past evening/day on facebook, attempting to explain why I — and anyone else who recognizes that the US is not *yet* a theocracy — am encouraged by Judge Walker’s ruling on Prop 8. Crafting my responses during this time has made me realize that I’m actually a pretty spiritual chick. Sadly, there didn’t seem to be any religion I could even begin to embrace as representative of my philosophy. Until now.

I…I think I’m *home!*

• Vinny says:

I’m sure I speak for everyone here (except those unfortunates as yet untouched by His Noodly Appendage) when I say welcome, oh new sister in pasta! :D You were speaking out for respect, tolerance and freedom from theocratic ideologies; clearly the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the perfect choice of deity for you.

RAmen!

8. d says:

…so… are you saying there’s no Flying Spaghetti Monster?… my life is a lie… :-(

• judy baker says:

You have got to be kidding. I have always been the type to as you say go with the flow but this is beyond silly. Enjoy your religion and when you come v
      face to face with God who isn’t pasta you’ll have alot of explaining to do. Keep the faith.

• Hugo says:

Let me ask you, Judy. As one Christian to another: ever heard the Scripture Proverbs 20:6? Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?

Or perhaps: Romans 14:1 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.

Or perhaps: Proverbs 30:12 There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness.

Or perhaps: Luke 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

Or perhaps: Proverbs 21:2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.

Or perhaps: Job 9:20 If I justify myself, mine own mouth shall condemn me: if I say, I am perfect, it shall also prove me perverse.

Perhaps you should heed Matt 7:3 Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

Please be humble and go enjoy a bowl of pasta.

(R)amen!

• Atsap Revol says:

Judy Baker,
          When I come face-to-face with god, he’s the one who will have a lot of explaining to do if there isn’t a beer volcano and a stripper factory.

• Hugo Chikamori says:

Hey, don’t forget the ship full of pirates. :D

• Theo says: