Missing the point

Published August 4th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I believe many non Pastafarians are missing the point…

I try not to be as condescending as some other pirates on this site, but there are extremists in all aspects of "religion". Deal with it. Truth be told, I get a little defensive too when my thoughts are criticized.

The reason I point out FSM to many people is to bring light to the absurdity that religion has taken. Most of the preaching you seen in the site is merely the regurgitation of other religions BS that we have had shoved down our throats since we were children. All we are doing is repackaging it and sending it back out. If you study religious history you will notice that this is the same way Christianity and many other religions came to be originally as well.

There are many redeeming qualities of the people of other religions and what they believe. I have many things in common with people who just want to do the right thing and “live and let live”. I just wish that people who preach other religions would realize that they, and the people that wrote the religions, are fallible and that there is a highly likely chance that no one here understands why we are here and exactly how we should be conducting ourselves. I would like to be able to live my life in a manner that I see fit without being persecuted. I am being persecuted by the overly religious and when I read this site I find that I am not the only one who feels that way.

Modern regions’ practice and doctrine is based on the brain power of men (no women’s opinions were even considered) who thought that the world was flat, the earth was the center of the universe, and that a good bleeding could pull the demons out of you. I think the human race is smarter and more evolved than that today. I do not know why people are so against thinking for themselves? I guess it is just easier to blindly follow.

I feel this site gives those of us that are tired of being pressured to believe in something that in our heart we have found to be childish and petty a way to finally come together and not feel so isolated in our feelings. Before this site, it was hard to express my frustration. Other religions already have mechanisms for this such as temples, and churches. This is site is a gathering place. I do not go into churches and criticize others for what they are doing. If you do not like this site, then don’t view it. I am sure I would get ridiculed and condemned if I were to walk into a church and start talking about how archaic and closed minded I think the belief system is. The members of the church would get defensive as do the members of this group when they are challenged.

I merely want to talk to and be around those that have the same moral values that I have. This is why we flock together in the same ways the larger “religions” do. So please let us have our space to be who we choose to be.

May the wisdom of the FSM be understood and enjoyed by all. Ramen.

-David Muck

178 Responses to “Missing the point”

1. SillyKiwiMan says:

I tried to agree more, but failed.

Having been condemned to hell many times for simply being of a faith other than christian (lower case “c” intentional), I agree that we need a place where we can express our views on his Holy Noodliness.

I also agree that those who want to argue (debating’s fine, but “you’re wrong”, “no, you’re wrong, I have a story book about a magic carpenter who turned into a zombie to prove it”, “no, you’re still wrong” etc. isn’t a debate) need to know that this is not the place.

Having said that, if we didn’t get members of the god-squad (again intentional lower-case) coming here to rant and rave, we would be more than a little disappointed. I freely admit to a degree of smug satisfaction when I read the demonstrations of stupidity from the heathens.

2. Theo says:

Dear David Muck,
    you miss the point in so many ways and that makes me angry and I feel offended and discriminated.
    Many Pastafarians come here to worship His Noodliness and to find others who do so. It’s people like you who think this is a parody religion or think this is satire, that makes me sad, and feel offended. Who are you guys to decide if this is satire? After all, we KNOW what Heaven looks like.
    May you also be Touched by His Noodliness (may sauce be upon Him) and accept that he IS the Creator, after all we can all read it in the Gospel; and last time I checked, that was not parody, because gospels never are.
    Ramen.

• David Muck says:

I love your enthusiasm! I personally will be submerging myself in fully into the arms of the great noodle in a week when I attend DN4. (See post on 7/30)

However, it seems to me that a blatant disregard for the feelings an opinions of others is exactly why this “religion” came to be. Be careful not to go to far when debating. You may run the risk of causing even more hatred and resentment in the world. The last thing I want to do is pick a fight. I have been told that my thinking is wrong all my life, but they are my thoughts and I am entitled to them.

In Pasta be his name.

• Theo says:

I am very careful.
        I know my deity is not going to help me when I want to because fuck you that’s why. He’s somewhere else doing more important stuff! How awesome!
        My beliefs are true and serious. But who knows I’m wrong.
        Only the FSM (sauce upon him)

• Danimal says:

Theo,
      I didn’t think it was possible to actually put ones tongue THROUGH ones cheek. Bravo.
      May the Sauce (and sass) be upon you,
      Danimal

• Danny says:

I agree with Theo AND David Muck, we are largely a satire-based religion, used to point out things that shouldn’t be above question. We’re also made up of a lot of former (and/or current) Atheists and Agnostics who felt suffocated by religion. However, we also make a pretty good religion. We have shared morals (flimsy moral standards), a well-defined afterlife, a SpagheDeity, a list of “commandments” (the eigth I’d Really Rather You Didn’ts), a “church” (this website), the list goes on and on. So why can’t we be an actual religion, too? I think we’re not only a real religion, but also the best religion. But that’s just my opinion, I certainly don’t mean to offend anyone who believes differently.
      p.s. I’ve been reading the forums for awhile, and I’ve decided to become more active like the Loose Canon said I should. (First Letter From Edd to the Forum Members)

3. Tiest Vilee says:

It’s sad that you have to spell this out. It all seems a bit reasonable and obvious to me. Just like the evidence for FSM himself.

Ramen.

• Not so hairless Ape says:

Non are so blind as those that will not see.

Or something to that effect.

4. blulou says:

Well put and to the point. The way of the world is to attack and dispel ideas that threaten the establishment and those in power. it is always easier to conform to the masses than to stand apart and think for yourself. Cheers to us! Ramen.

5. theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Well said, Mr. Muck. And many thanks to Pope Robert I for not only his original, inspired Letter to the Kansasians, but his founding of the church website.

6. Danimal says:

Thank you Mr. Muck for concise and eloquent letter. You have gracefully put into words what I’ve been trying to say most of my adult life.

Danimal

• Danimal says:

Just had a thought, (scary right) How would people feel, Bobby most of all, about moving this to the about tab?

• person says:

Seems reasonable.

Would be perfect if any non-pastafarians ever read the about tab, but alas, they don’t and they never will.

Still belongs there IMHO.

7. Mr. A says:

Mr. Muck,

I also applaud your eloquent expression of the closest thing we Pastafarians have to an apostles’ creed. Thanks for putting into words what is often so difficult to express.

Having spent the first half of my life as a believer and the second half as a skeptic, my discovery of the FSM a few months ago was about the closest thing to a religious epiphany I have ever had. Ironically, I now know exactly how religious people feel when they talk about having the truth revealed and wanting to spread the word. Sadly, I also know how many persecuted religious groups (not to mention other minority groups like gays and lesbians) feel about “coming out of the closet”: here in the heart of the Midwest, I hesitate to come out as a Pastafarian for fear of retaliation against myself or my wife at the workplace.

To your comments, Mr. Muck, I would only add what I’ve told the few people who know of my beliefs: Pastafarianism doesn’t mock, debase, or ridicule religion. Rather, it holds a mirror up to religion. I think what infuriates so many religious types is their realization at a very deep level that you could substitute the FSM for “god” in any standard religious text, and it would make just as much sense (i.e., none).

Thanks to Pope Robert I for shaking religion at its foundation in a way that no one has done for centuries.

Ramen,

Mr. A

• Ham Nox says:

Yup, it’s a mirror. It has to be a little bit of a carnival mirror though, it has to twist a few details so it’s not immediately recognizable as what they’ve always known or they’d never see what’s wrong with the whole picture.

• Ubi Dubium says:

I’ve used the “mirror” description before myself. That’s exactly it. True Believers come here and rant at us, claiming we believe something ridiculous, yet their deeply-held beliefs are just as ridiculous. I think their defensiveness may come from their discomfort at having that pointed out to them.

8. Andrew says: