Treat other religions with respect

Published July 9th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

When I first found this site, I was thoroughly amused.  I understand and even agree with your argument on the teaching of the Theory of Intelligent Design in public schools.  Your way of presenting this was very amusing, and wittily got your opinion expressed on the subject matter.

I sincerely wish I would’ve stopped scanning your website after reading your letter.
It was the attitude of the rest of the website that made me stop and feel terrible for the people who disagree with you.  From the video of the Flying Spaghetti Monster float performing a "religious action" on a random person to the tab specially designed for hate mail, I was instantly turned off to your concept of how you express your opinions.

Believing in something is one thing, but pounding others into the dust–pretty much BEGGING for the opportunity for someone to argue with you?  That’s something entirely different.  I know people must be begging for the hate mail that only screams at what a dumb religion yours is… just so that you can slam your argument into their faces.

I think your message got lost a long time ago, Bobby.  It’s really sad… you had a good thing going, I think.  It’s really sad that your message of "don’t teach Intelligent Design in our schools" turned into "religion is pointless", which then turned into "everyone who believes in a religion is below me, and that gives me the right to completely disrespect everything they stand for".  It’s really sad that people join this group just so that they can slam onto other people.  Because really?  What are you hoping to accomplish at this point?

I may not agree with Christianity 100%, but I do believe "Do Unto Others" is a great philosophy to live by.  So is "Turn The Other Cheek".  Basically, treat other religions with respect… but if they don’t honor your viewpoints back?  Take the high road.  Maybe make a simple comment (like your letter) and be done with it.  By dragging it out like this, you’re making yourself look bad… and that’s all.

-Alfred

819 Responses to “Treat other religions with respect”

1 3 4 5 6 7 24
  1. Momwoman says:

I’ve just been a lurker for some time her, but I just want to take a moment to say how proud I am to be here. Thoughtful, respectful people, sharing intellignece and real ideas.
    Rock on, Pastafarians!

• Noodlenut says:

And most welcome ye be Momwench, the more the merrier aarrrr. Now drink me hearties…..

2. Rotherham says:

Flying hijacked aircraft into buildings is disrespect.

Vilifying people upon the basis of their sexuality is disrespect.

Seizing people’s land and building walled settlements upon them is disrespect.

Mutilating the genitals of chidren is disrespect.

Burning people for thinking differently is disrespect.

Strapping explosives to one’s body before detonating them on underground trains is disrespect.

Herding people into concentration camps before working them or gassing them to death is disrespect.

Using a state funded education system to peddle superstition as science is disrespect.

It does sadden me when followers of the FSM are simply abusive to the religious visitors to the site, but it has to be said that such visitors are often abusive or condescending and that nobody is making them post here.

When it comes to disrespect there are far more deserving targets for your concern, Alfred.

3. Rego says:

I agree that sometimes some of the pastafarians should remember the very first I’d Really Rather You Didn’t:

“I’d really rather you didn’t act like a sanctimonious holier-than-thou ass when describing my noodly goodness. If some people don’t believe in me, that’s okay. Really, I’m not that vain. Besides, this isn’t about them so don’t change the subject.”

Other than that, you can hardly say there’s no point dragging this out. Pastafarianism isn’t a one time point, it’s a religion with far better moral codes than most.

4. bungo says:

i had seafood carbonara yesterday, and it was awesome.

5. Cory says:

I think the funniest part of that piece is where he says: “Basically, treat other religions with respect… but if they don’t honor your viewpoints back? Take the high road.” Ha! I refuse to treat a religion, or a religious person for that matter, with respect when what they believe in is absurd, I mean come on, do these people actually deserve my respect? And as for avoiding arguments (i.e. taking the high road) thats even more ridiculous the world would be a much better place with these people running around, so, convert them!

• Pastafarian igo says:

I do partialy agree but you lost me at the ha why would I treat them with respect part. I see what your saying but don’t fully agree I would treat them with respect as long as they treat me the same way but as mr.Gordon said respect is not just given it is earned

6. Reverend Marinara says:

Alfred,

You made your point politely, and I’ll try to do the same.

I think you miss the point in that, this isn’t exclusively about Intelligent Design, or religion in and of itself. I would be more than happy to let anyone who choses to believe “whatever” alone to their beliefs, if they did the same. But, when beliefs I know in my heart to be wrong are on every other bumper sticker on the car in front of me, used to justify terrorism or war, become a litmus test for my governmental representatives, corrupt or deny good science, and insist to be taught in public schools in back-handed and devious ways, then it is time to confront the evil of religious proselytizing.

I don’t see Pastifarians coming to my door to “save me”. I find it insulting and demeaning when these people think I need Jesus and “will pray for me”.

I don’t see Bobby accusing President Obama of secretly belonging to some other religion other than Pastifarianism, as if it were wrong to belong to any other than the “approved” religion. I don’t see Bobby trying to rewrite history and say America was founded on Pastafarian beliefs. Although, this could be pretty funny.

From the tone of some of the hate mail that comes to this site, it seems obvious the writers have no respect for anything other than their own narrow views. And, if they dare to send such a note to this site, it is clearly because they are the ones begging for an argument. They came to this site – Pastafarians didn’t go looking for them.

I find it is the religious zealots who need to respect those who disagree with them. They should not force their views upon me. Keep it in your home and churches. Keep it our of schools, government, and my face. Those of us on this site come to this one place to express and share their views. And, if people want to send a note here condemning our point of view, they should expect rebuttal.

RAmen,
    Reverend Marinara

7. zebobbybird says:

A mr. cooper who works on guitars.

There is a very famous mr. cooper with a similar profession.

8. hotclaws says:

How refreshing to find someone who can spell and write coherent sentences.I, for one ,am glad to hear your feedback and only wish other “hatemailers” were as reasonable. However,they are mostly the people that Jesus would be truly ashamed of having as followers because they use His name and deny His teachings.I don’t think teasing them on a public forum to expose their hateful attitudes does any harm. Who knows? the ridicule may make them sit up and take notice and change their ways .I am not a hater of other religions;I count Catholic nuns, Muslims and Quaker among my friends but they are respectful of my beliefs and we can have stimulating ,intelligent discussions about our differences.I just wish there were more like them and less of the ill educated, ignorant people who spew their hatred and malice not only on here but sadly on the whole world..

1 3 4 5 6 7 24