Treat other religions with respect

Published July 9th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

When I first found this site, I was thoroughly amused.  I understand and even agree with your argument on the teaching of the Theory of Intelligent Design in public schools.  Your way of presenting this was very amusing, and wittily got your opinion expressed on the subject matter.

I sincerely wish I would’ve stopped scanning your website after reading your letter.
It was the attitude of the rest of the website that made me stop and feel terrible for the people who disagree with you.  From the video of the Flying Spaghetti Monster float performing a "religious action" on a random person to the tab specially designed for hate mail, I was instantly turned off to your concept of how you express your opinions.

Believing in something is one thing, but pounding others into the dust–pretty much BEGGING for the opportunity for someone to argue with you?  That’s something entirely different.  I know people must be begging for the hate mail that only screams at what a dumb religion yours is… just so that you can slam your argument into their faces.

I think your message got lost a long time ago, Bobby.  It’s really sad… you had a good thing going, I think.  It’s really sad that your message of "don’t teach Intelligent Design in our schools" turned into "religion is pointless", which then turned into "everyone who believes in a religion is below me, and that gives me the right to completely disrespect everything they stand for".  It’s really sad that people join this group just so that they can slam onto other people.  Because really?  What are you hoping to accomplish at this point?

I may not agree with Christianity 100%, but I do believe "Do Unto Others" is a great philosophy to live by.  So is "Turn The Other Cheek".  Basically, treat other religions with respect… but if they don’t honor your viewpoints back?  Take the high road.  Maybe make a simple comment (like your letter) and be done with it.  By dragging it out like this, you’re making yourself look bad… and that’s all.

-Alfred

833 Responses to “Treat other religions with respect”

1. Insightful rAPE says:

I take every counter-argument to the extreme to prove these visitors with legitimate criticisms wrong, and then resort to calling them “trolls” because it’s the easy way to label someone who disagrees with me on my favorite site to stroke my hairy cock.

Oh, and I’m gay.

• G. Lweigamnik says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Troll – I think you’ll find this quite enlightening, and also quite an accurate description of people [sic] such as yourself.

I still think it’s better to have gay people than stupid people. Just an opinion from this lowly midgit. Pasta be upon you, and I really do hope to save you from certain obesity lest you remain unwilling to eat anything other than halal beef.

2. Captain Awesome says:

I love the irony of this.

Just like most religious texts contradict themselves, the follower of the text also contradicts themself.

You tell us to respect your religion, but it’s ok for you to disrespect ours?

Childish.

Just remember, the world is a machine. Input < output. If you keep putting more bad stuff in, you're gonna end up with more bad stuff out.

Your actions will catch up to you someday, just remember that.

3. sales training says:

It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m satisfied that you shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

4. Hollis says:

Do unto others IS a great philosophy! And thats whats happening right now! Remember that we haven’t killed Christians for not beleiving what we do, but you have killed us for not beleiving what you do. So before you insult us remember that while the past isn’t your fault, your religion still did it. So consider this your religions punishment.

P.S. our heaven is cooler.

• Mercy says:

Dude, stop grouping all Christians from every single point in time into a single group. I for one haven’t killed anyone because if their beliefs, and neither has anyone I know. I also highly doubt you’ve met anyone on the street who murdered a non-christian because they weren’t christian. So when talking about modern-day Christians, please leave the crusades out of it.

Also, name the last time a Christian group, (and I don’t mean the Koran burning guy, I mean an average, mainline group) actively put down another religion through organized public acts. That’s exactly what many mainline Pastafarians do every day.

This type of antagonism is really what makes pastafarianism look like a mere passive-aggressive dig on other people’s beliefs, but in reality, it’s much better than that. This is a pretty cool thing. don’t wreck it by being a jerk.

• Rev. wulff says:

Okay, how about all the x-tians up in arms about the New York Mosque a few months back? Or do they not count because they represented multiple groups instead of being a single group?

• TiltedHorizon says:

Mercy,

You want examples of a ‘mainline’ group putting down another group? Ok.

Since Catholicism accounts for roughly half of Christianity I will assume this is ‘mainline’ enough and cite some of their examples.

Here is a fun one, Catholic League president Bill Donohue “puts down” Atheists by demands they Atheists apologize for Hitler.

He even goes on to suggest the Inquisition was done largely by secular authorities…… geez.

Here is another, Catholic social services puts down same-sex couples. They offer child adoptive and foster services, for which they take government money, but they don’t want to follow civil rights laws by considering same sex couples.

I should note, some branches of Catholic social services actually walked away from this service, leaving hundreds of children without advocacy or support. They hate homosexuality so much the cast out those who needed the help most.

Need more? I have, sadly, endless examples.

• Omnipotent Zombie says:

Christians are antagonistic of each other; specifically, one sect of Christianity will “put down” other sects of christianity and vice-versa. Behind closed doors, there is alot of these sectarian sentiments being taught and passed to each other. A few examples:

There are critcisms of the catholic church by various protestant churches having to do with the practice of praying to the saints and Virgin Mary. Some protestants believe that prayer to the Virgin Mary and the Saints are a form of idolatry. You should know how much of a no-no idolatry is in the bible.

Another example is of the banned Mormon cartoon being shown as to ostracize the Mormon and LDS sects of Christianity. I had the video shown to me at sunday night service, of all places.

I’ve got some more examples of this, but you see my point. Even amongst themselves, Christians are condescending to each other. Now, imagine some of the sentiments about non-christians.

5. BJT says:

I could not help but be slightly indignified at this post. I am an Aethiest and I have as much respect for all other religions as I do in my own beliefs. Yes I may think that some people’s beliefs are illogical and invalid in comparison. But I accept that they may feel the same way about mine. I do not mock others. I may use humour and make jokes at others- but I can also laugh when one goes against FSM with humour, too. If it’s funny- laugh. Just don’t be offensive.

Yes, there are some extremist Pastaferians- just as there are inevitably extremists in every other religion. Yes SOME may lose sight of what FSM originally represented and stood for- but that does not mean that all of its supporters have lost it, too. I usually piss myself laughing reading hate mail. Most of it is just trolling. But it’s when you lose logical points to make an illogical judgement: I can not help but intervine. Don’t make generalisations. And if you are going to make generalisations- make it clear that what you’re saying IS a generalisation. Otherwise you come off just as ludicrous as the next anti-Pastaferian.

RAmen,

BJT.

6. BJT says:

My apologies * use logical points to make illogical judgements

7. HoaiPhai says:

Actually, the wording of The Golden Rule is flawed unless its purpose is to promote imposing one’s will on others. If, on the other hand, The Golden Rule was written to encourage people to be considerate of others, it should have been phrased “Do unto others as they would have you do unto them.”

I love eating shrimp and lobster but if I was to invite observant Jews over to dinner it would be just plain wrong for me to serve them shellfish!

8. Chime says:

Just have faith in Jesus Christ as your lord believe he died for your sins that he rose on the third day and repent.
    All with your heart please the day of judgement will one day come.

• Rev. Wulff says:

That’s your opinion. We don’t share it. Deal with it.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

I bloody hope so. I’ve been hanging out for my seat beside the beer volcano, and I’m pretty happy about the strippers too.

Bring on the judgement!

• Keith says:

I’m not in any hurry for judgement day. It is 2014 and I still haven’t got the jet pack I was promised in the 1960′s.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

While I’d like my flying motorbike, I’m keen to die before the robot overlords take over and enslave us all.

• Keith says:

Well, I was hoping to hang on for the Dalek invasion of Earth but I’d be 200 years old and unable to enjoy it.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Why should we believe in Jesus? If he ever existed at all (NO historical record), he did a really, really poor job of saving mankind. He didn’t appear to 99.99% of mankind, and after 2,000 years his message is accepted by less than a third of the world, and the percentage is dropping like a stone. He gets a giant FAIL, not what you’d expect of a supreme (or half-supreme) being.

• Keith says:

Even if he did what is claimed (no evidence), he did not sacrifice himself because he rose from the dead three days afterwards. That’s not a sacrifice, that’s a suspension of disbelief.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Uh, what exactly did he “save” us from? Himself/his grumpy old man? Hey, I’m not omniscient, but if I were going to “save humanity”, I’d just change them myself, OR if I wanted them to have the chance at eternal damnation, appear to EVERYONE simultaneously. And sooner. What about the generations who lived B.C.? Sucked to be them, eh?

• Keith says:

According to some fundamentalists when Jeebus “descended into Hell” he just popped down to rescue the ones who weren’t saved before he appeared on the scene. It must have been quite an operation.

• Rev. Wulff says:

Keith, I don’t know if you ever read it, but there’s a book called ‘Only Begotten Daughter’, with a new Messiah that has to follow in her big brother’s footsteps. When she dies and gets to Heaven, she finds out the only other person ever deemed worthy to enter was Jesus, and he spends all his time in Hell alleviating everybody’s suffering. It’s a pretty good book.

• Keith says:

No, I have never read the book. If I get time (and if I remember it) I might read it. The trouble is that I have a lot of reading to catch up on (including a book on insects: might a well find out what makes the fundies tick).