Treat other religions with respect

Published July 9th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

When I first found this site, I was thoroughly amused.  I understand and even agree with your argument on the teaching of the Theory of Intelligent Design in public schools.  Your way of presenting this was very amusing, and wittily got your opinion expressed on the subject matter.

I sincerely wish I would’ve stopped scanning your website after reading your letter.
It was the attitude of the rest of the website that made me stop and feel terrible for the people who disagree with you.  From the video of the Flying Spaghetti Monster float performing a "religious action" on a random person to the tab specially designed for hate mail, I was instantly turned off to your concept of how you express your opinions.

Believing in something is one thing, but pounding others into the dust–pretty much BEGGING for the opportunity for someone to argue with you?  That’s something entirely different.  I know people must be begging for the hate mail that only screams at what a dumb religion yours is… just so that you can slam your argument into their faces.

I think your message got lost a long time ago, Bobby.  It’s really sad… you had a good thing going, I think.  It’s really sad that your message of "don’t teach Intelligent Design in our schools" turned into "religion is pointless", which then turned into "everyone who believes in a religion is below me, and that gives me the right to completely disrespect everything they stand for".  It’s really sad that people join this group just so that they can slam onto other people.  Because really?  What are you hoping to accomplish at this point?

I may not agree with Christianity 100%, but I do believe "Do Unto Others" is a great philosophy to live by.  So is "Turn The Other Cheek".  Basically, treat other religions with respect… but if they don’t honor your viewpoints back?  Take the high road.  Maybe make a simple comment (like your letter) and be done with it.  By dragging it out like this, you’re making yourself look bad… and that’s all.

-Alfred

833 Responses to “Treat other religions with respect”

1. Lindsey Persson says:

I am delighted that I discovered this site , just the right information that I was searching for! here .

2. Zuri says:

Thank you. Finally, someone intelligent.

3. Peter says:

I love how he called intelligent design a “theory,” even though to become a theory, a hypothesis has to be thoroughly tested and widely agreed on.

4. Surly Old Tigriis says:

Wow, I read this thread from top to bottom. I thoroughly enjoyed the battle of wits at the beginning. Clearly “oh Lee” or Skidmark, or whatever this person calls themselves now was fighting in a gunfight with an empty weapon. If I may add my two cents t othe whole debate:
    I don’t think it’s either right or wrong to believe in whatever it is one finds solace in believing., even if it means a lack of belief. It’s whatever it is that you find most comforting that works for you. If it mens you fall in line with several million others with the same or similar beliefs, then good for you. If you preferto go a little more esoteric and follow the Lady – hey more power to ya! If you prefer to believe in the almighty power of the FSM and his omnipresent noodly appendage – I say go for it!
    Even athiets, Athieism (SP?) can be spiritual without being religious…Just be decent to others and that pretty much qualifies.
    Me personally? Well…here’s what I think:
    Be courteous, kind and forgiving,
    Be gentle and peaceful each day,
    Be warm and human and grateful,
    And have a good thing to say.

Be thoughtful and trustful and childlike,
    Be witty and happy and wise,
    Be honest and love all your neighbors,
    Be obsequious, purple, and clairvoyant.

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus,
    Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent,
    Criticize things you don’t know about,
    Be oblong and have your knees removed.

Be tasteless, rude, and offensive,
    Live in a swamp and be three dimensional,
    Put a live chicken in your underwear,
    Get all excited and go to a yawning festival.
    Last line subsitituted with, “Go into a closet and suck eggs” when singing this for the second time.

The whole point to that, thank you Steve Martin by the way, is really how to live life. You comport yourself with decency and dignity but also see the absurd and run with that, too. It’s really not this “My Diety has a bigger Peepee than your Diety, so there Mr. Poopypants!” It’s all about, again in my estimation, being groovy, treating others like you want them to treat you, share some coolness, and punish the ones that want to hurt the innocents. Sorry, that was the ex-cop in me wanting out for a bit. In the end, whether or not we all like it, does it really matter? What we need is here and now. What happens after we are called to the great halls of Valhalla or the stripper factories and beeer volcanoes is meaningless. That truth we will never know until after we’re buried (or vaporised)and the kids are fighting over our stuff. Personally I entertain the beer volcanoes and the stripper thing – I am a man after all.
    I guess the whole point of this rather long-winded rant is believe what you will, groove in it, and have fun with everyone else that enjoys your company. The haters and their ilk? It’s all relative. They always get theirs.
    Cheers!

5. troll lololololol says:

Religious guys like this are starting to treat these kinds of things like a gang, in a way. Things like treat my mafia/gang (religion) with respect or the boss (God) is gonna pop a cap in your a**, and they would just go crazy on everyone if they didn’t suspect that there boss (god) was watching.

P.S. I apologize for the foul language.

6. Joe Arrocho says:

Very informative!

7. xrumer says:

Most popular xrumer services – build The best ranks and also amazing traffic with our impressive backlinks plans. Best & affordable back-links service of all time! XrumerGod.com – effective search engine optimization – one way link creation – search engine optimization – search engine marketing – social media marketing

8. dofollowblog says:

There are a lot of strange comments on here.