Treat other religions with respect

Published July 9th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

When I first found this site, I was thoroughly amused.  I understand and even agree with your argument on the teaching of the Theory of Intelligent Design in public schools.  Your way of presenting this was very amusing, and wittily got your opinion expressed on the subject matter.

I sincerely wish I would’ve stopped scanning your website after reading your letter.
It was the attitude of the rest of the website that made me stop and feel terrible for the people who disagree with you.  From the video of the Flying Spaghetti Monster float performing a "religious action" on a random person to the tab specially designed for hate mail, I was instantly turned off to your concept of how you express your opinions.

Believing in something is one thing, but pounding others into the dust–pretty much BEGGING for the opportunity for someone to argue with you?  That’s something entirely different.  I know people must be begging for the hate mail that only screams at what a dumb religion yours is… just so that you can slam your argument into their faces.

I think your message got lost a long time ago, Bobby.  It’s really sad… you had a good thing going, I think.  It’s really sad that your message of "don’t teach Intelligent Design in our schools" turned into "religion is pointless", which then turned into "everyone who believes in a religion is below me, and that gives me the right to completely disrespect everything they stand for".  It’s really sad that people join this group just so that they can slam onto other people.  Because really?  What are you hoping to accomplish at this point?

I may not agree with Christianity 100%, but I do believe "Do Unto Others" is a great philosophy to live by.  So is "Turn The Other Cheek".  Basically, treat other religions with respect… but if they don’t honor your viewpoints back?  Take the high road.  Maybe make a simple comment (like your letter) and be done with it.  By dragging it out like this, you’re making yourself look bad… and that’s all.

-Alfred

833 Responses to “Treat other religions with respect”

1 16 17 18 19 20 25
  1. stylusmobilus says:

Today, like many others before me, I learnt that there was a Dog. He peed on my car tyre today, and I was disgusted.

I might be a loyal Pastafarian but I do not pee on the wheels of those who practice religions other than mine. That it was their Leader makes it even more deplorable.

Nor do I slam others for their beliefs. While ever there is a Dog, and He continues peeing on people’s car wheels, I swear to Dog that Bobby’s message will never be lost.

2. Gordon_UK says:

Anonymous why are you here?

Now I don’t mean that in some philosophical way but as in why come to this site, a quick scan and it’s easy to see it’s members are not on your side of the religious argument.

So that leaves us with three options,

1) You want to prove us wrong
    2) You want to ‘save’ us
    3) You are just trying to pick a fight

I would have to say that your reason for being here is option 3 as so far you have not provided any coherent arguments that would imply you are here for option 1 or 2.

So far you have avoided D&WC’s valid points and lambasted Noodlity (AKA Jedi Knight) on his method but at no stage have you managed to counter their arguments.

As for trying to second guess what we are thinking and assumption that somehow deep down we also believe in a god only seems only to highlight your own doubt*. This may explain the random outbursts of anger and hearted, this is something you need to learn how to control. (* Not sure but is that called transference?)

RAmen

Gordon

• Sean Boyd says:

I vote for 3 as well.

• Matt says:

I would say that this was a fair comment, but you guys are clearly egging him on. If you really had a problem with him, you’d just ignore him. Probably, you’d never have to speak to him again.

• Noodlity / Jedi Knight says:

Dude. He threatened to cut of a guy’s fingers. Mine, specifically. In any other context, this is a prosecutable offence. We’re letting him off easy here.

• Theo says:

Anonymous clearly lacks any sense of humor or logic reasoning, he doesn’t understand science or has knowledge about the world. So I have a hard time picking on him since it fills me with sadness more than anger.
        Of course he’ll threaten someone, after all we’re telling him that all he believed his whole life was a lie. I’d be pissed too, but then again I’d be pissed at the people who told the lie, not the people who brought the message.
        It’s quite predictable all.

3. Anonymous' says:

So what? Yeah, I’m picking a fight. Fights are fun. Isn’t that the reason you’re here?

Anyway, it says my comment is awaiting moderation. I’m guessing that means that you’ve rated my comments low too many times? Here, I’ll answer your responses again.

Drained and Washed Clean says:
    September 21, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    Drained whatever: To the first two, IT’S GOD. Just shut up now.
    ** For one who has a problem with name calling and respect, you sure do have an odd way of showing it. And no, I do not accept that answer. I would like proof. Where are your facts and proof.
    You seem to be hung up on proof…I’ll answer this later.

Look at this: http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2010/09/03/feedback-genesis-1-and-2
    ** That offers no proof of anything. Two different stories = two different stories. This is not an explanation.
    The original Bible said the things HAD been created. That’s what was there in the first place. It was mistranslated into English.

Mary. It’s not known entirely if there are two, if she’s a different person. However, I see no contradiction.
    ** It is clearly a contradiction when one says Mary Magdelene and the OTHER Mary, and one just says Mary. One book has two people, the other book has one. Obviously a contradiction.
    Do you think that each book HAS to include both Mary’s? What if they don’t see it as important?

Who was Jesus’s dad? Cause Luke says it was Joseph.That’s, officially, according to the record, what his father is. Do you think they’re going to put God? Luke probably put that out of habit, without thinking about it.
    ** So now you are supposing to know what the intent of the author was? You are the one claiming no contradictions, so you cannot just claim error while trying to disprove error.
    Okay, maybe he meant his legal father or something. I mean, come on. Stop being so critical. It really doesn’t matter.

Clean animals are animals they eat, such as chickens and pigs. They’re for eating.
    ** That does not answer why there is a contradiction in the numbers
    WELL okay, Mr. Critical. Guess what, you forgot to put a period at the end of that sentence!

Look at this: http://www.lookinguntojesus.net/ata20010923.htm
    ** I repeat the question. Jesus could have only had 1 first sermon. Where was it? It is a contradiction.
    The Bible never said they were BOTH the first sermon. They had the same topic material, but obviously they weren’t the same sermon.

Perhaps you should get started.
    ** Like a majority of the story of Paul not lining up with the gospels? I’d be here all night. Perhaps you should go take a look and read this book you pretend to know so much about horizontally.
    You know, if you really want to know, just Google it. That’s all I’m doing.

5: I don’t care enough to look that up and disprove it. Sorry.
    ** Then you are lazy. And you have nothing to disprove it with.
    FINE, I’ll Google it.

Well, okay, they might have been written later. That doesn’t mean they weren’t based off of real things. Christianity has been through some tough times…God needed to make due with what he could.

6: Actually, most historians believe there was a Jesus Christ who started Christianity, whether or not they believe he was resurrected. Get your facts straight.
    ** Actually I have my facts straight. Historians also say that Christianity was invented by Constantine to keep his empire from falling apart. Since the gospels were not even written until approx. 50 years after Jesus’s death, the supposed authors were dead.
    Constantine may have spread it, but he didn’t INVENT it. He may have rewritten it or something. I don’t really know all the details about what happened, but you know what? I don’t really care. It’s just not something that matters to me.

7: You’ve assumed he knows the future. Actually he doesn’t. We could change our course at any time. There’s no definite answer, but maybe time itself is an illusion, and he just changes things around all over the course of history.
    ** Then god is not a perfect being and not the greatest thing imaginable so why call it god? And the time is an illusion thing is crap. We know how time can work, and the out of time thing is impossible because then it could not change things around because it would be seeing all things happen at once… Our past present and future.

Science knows that time and space are unified, and are malleable and changeable. Einstein figured that out. Science knows that this kind of gives the regular, linear time a bad name, and that time may indeed be an illusion. Again, get your facts straight.

11: Jesus was actually born sometime in April, and we only celebrate it during December because the Romans persecuted Christians, and they were celebrating at that time because the days were getting longer, so they celebrated Christ’s birth to hide it. And I can’t believe you actually just told me to prove the existence of God.
    ** You are just making things up now. Where did you go to high school? No, it is celebrated in December to make the Pagans feel more comfortable converting to Christianity. It was the Winter Solstice. Almost every “Christian” tradition that is included in xmas is from the Pagans. Nothing to do with god except the fact that religion has to steam roll everything in its path to gain power. And that is not the existence of god I am trying to prove. That is your job. Remember, I am pointing out inconsistencies and contradictions which you still have no good answer based on fact or truth.
    I am most certainly not making anything up! Didn’t you ever hear that? http://www.zoomnet.net/~bbratt/jc-born.html And I like your theory and all, but do you have any proof? And I am going to high school, right now, in a very good high school. How old do you think I am?

And jeez, of course Google hits don’t make proof! That’s what you assumed in your response! That’s my entire point!

@Jedi Knight: You’ve got it all mixed up. Logical necessity means what NEEDS to happen as a result of a conclusion I’ve established. Like, if I say, “2+2=4″ then by logical necessity, “4=2+2.” If you compare it to another god, that’s not logical necessity. If my God exists, The Force doesn’t have to exist, and it’s not reductio ad absurdum. It’s an appeal to ridicule – comparing your opponents argument with something ridiculous. It means nothing towards the truth of the original argument.

Also, you seem to be hung up on proof. Give me proof. Until then, I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Or in Dog. Or in the Force. Or that the universe was sneezed out of someone’s nose. Or something like that. Well, in science, when you don’t have any proof of something, but you don’t have any proof against it, you don’t forget the entire idea. You look for proof or disproof. It’s called the scientific method. I have proof. I’ve had proof through this debate. Like, when I first wrote against the clean and unclean argument, I thought that that might be the response. I thought, “If he leaves a period off the end of the sentence, then that would be great, and I could point it out and make his criticizing seem stupid.” Of course, the chances that you would were low, and I figured I’d either have to find a different mistake or just say he doesn’t have to be critical. Fortunately, you did leave a period off, thus making my argument seem much more convincing. Also, the fact my comment didn’t go through. It wasn’t very convincing – I realized I should take your arguments from a different perspective. And the fact that I thought to use this argument in the first place. And many more. I have my proof. You don’t, but like I said, that’s when you look for proof.

And you can’t say you’re winning this argument. Even if my arguments weren’t valid, like you say they are, this is, what, 10 extremely opinionated atheists versus one guy? None of your debates on this site you have won. If you want to be able to say you’ve won, do it in real life, where your opponents have backup and people who will force you to see the reason, and you won’t be able to just use this kind of stupid logic.

4. Alec Smith says:

Hello all
    I am from Britain, and I have only recently heard of Pastafarianism. I don’t fully understand what the purpose of this religion is. Is it symbolic in anyway? Is it a joke? Is it a criticism towards organised religion? Please don’t take this comment the wrong way, as I fell neither positively or negatively toward the religion, I am just curious of its purpose.

• Keith says:

Alec: when you enter this site there is a square with a graph showing the relationship of pirates to global warming and an illustration showing the FSM in the act of creation. Under that is a little link asking you to read the thing that started it off. Please read the introduction.

• B. says:

To sum up what Keith said:

Read the manual. The exits are at the front and back. Please remain seated until the Apocalypse sign turns off.

• Rev Toni Rigatoni says:

Read the ‘About’ tab and all will be revealed. You sound as if you may be casting around for something to believe in, if so his Noodlyness will welcome you with open noodly tentacles, as will your eventual brother Pastafarians. Welcome Brother Alec Smith. Don’t be so apologetic about being from Britain, I too am from Britain but I try not to let it bother me too much, after all, no one can be blamed for an accident of birth. The power of his Noodly presence is universal and his love knows no bounds, even for Brits.

Sauce be with you.

• Pastor De Grano Duro says:

He even accepts colonials too. I am an Aussie.

RAmen, and Welcome

5. Alec Smith says:

I would also like to add that this religion seems very similar to a Futurama film that I watched recently.

• Noodlity says:

Fittingly, the Flying Spaghetti Monster made an appearance in a recent Futurama episode specifically dealing with the “Creationism vs. Evolution” debate. Guess which side He supported.

• Alec Smith says:

No, in the film where that giant squid thing puts its tentacles inside people’s necks and fry is their leader.

6. FSMchurchofturkey says:

He is turned off by it, but he still writes HateMails.

7. Entertained says:

I have to admit, many atheists do come off as offensive and ready to argue. I am not an atheist or agnostic, I simply hate the Judeo-Christian God with undying passion. So when I am dragged into a church, I like to tear the pastor apart on spot as it gives me immeasurable pleasure. But nonetheless, I am willing to listen. And I hear you, we like to mock and argue.

But I ask you, isn’t this what Christians have done to us? Most, and I’m generalizing here but still, Christians I have met would never listen to what I have to say. “Pray to God,” “you are too arrogant,” “your heart is filled with hate,” are the typical responses I get. But am I really not listening when I simply ask a question about how God can be jealous when jealousy is a sin?

It makes me furious when the religious point out how intolerant the non-religious are. And you know what? They’re right. It’s because we’re sick of them being intolerant. You know what God said? He said vengeance is mine. Dear God, vengeance is mine bitch.

• Theo says:

One point though: we’re not atheists.
      We believe in a deity called the FSM (sauce on him). So we’re in the same camp as the religious, we just happen to have the best religion ever. ™

Once you stop questioning other peoples beliefs and start believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, your heart will be opened and you no longer have to ask questions about their god. Because you KNOW that their god is just strange. The FSM isn’t, he’s full of love and doesn’t hate. The FSM just thinks some things are annoying, but thinks it’s ok. (probably)
      Think of it this way, if it’s possible to believe the christian god made us, then it’s equally possible the FSM made us. I happen to believe the last one, if I had to choose. When I realized that little thing, that’s when I could say “I’m Touched”.

8. Danimal says:

Dear Matt,
    I’m trying to figure out your angle here.

You are critical of us for being insulting towards Anonymous. That’s fair, who are we to sling insults at this person just because he doesn’t believe what we believe? On the other hand, he did insult, and threaten us first. So we are stooping to his level, big deal, we aren’t the perfect supreme being (sauce be upon Him) so I’m going to maintain he’s an asshole.

You ask to prove or disprove the existence of first god, then later in your posts the existence Jesus. Let’s straighten this out a little. As I see it there are three aspects to what your asking here. Did Jesus exist, is he divine, and does god exist? If there is detailed evidence, from multiple reliable sources, then yes that would be proof. The bible is the most often used evidence for all three of these things but the bible has no more credibility than this website as my fellow pirates have pointed out in numerous posts. You say yourself that the bible is open to non literal interpretation. If it can have interpretations as varied as the individuals who read it how can it be used as an authoritative source? Also some people hold up accounts by scholars/historians as proof at least of the existence of Jesus the Christ but the dates and reliability of these are questionable as well. You are right that this doesn’t disprove the existence of Jesus, that would be an argument from ignorance. However, if someone is making a claim then the burden of proof DOES fall on that person. If they cannot provide any proof for their claim then it gets no more regard than claiming the existence of invisible pink unicorns, cosmic tea pots, or flying spaghetti monsters.

So really you are right that these arguments don’t matter…

EXCEPT

You get wing nuts like the Kansas school board (to name one) that attempt to direct public policy based on their religion. So these arguments do matter when they are the building blocks of a position that prevents groundless and unreasonable standards from fucking up my universe. A position like the satirical CotFSM. Now the back and forth flaming between insignificant worms like Anonymous and pastafarians might not accomplish that much but it does make me feel better. Not because I need to belittle other people to feel good about myself but because it shows me that there are other like minded and intelligent people in the world with which I can engage.

I hope I’ve wrapped up what your trying to say here Matt. Along with refuting some claims I disagree with and answering some questions you asked. If I’m way off base here please feel free to respond. You appear to be a lot more civil than Anonymous and I hoping for some rousing debate.
    Peace,
    Danimal

• Theo says:

Venganza.com … come for the open-your-eyes-humor, stay for the good debate!
      You’ve got to know, Danimal, that religious people don’t think like you do. They are brainwashed and brainwashed and brainwashed. They are made to believe something and they will not accept that they are wrong, better said; they will never believe the people who made them believe their beliefs (parents, pastors, teachers, friends) are wrong.
      Even an proof-leads-to-science they will screw up and turn it around. They will find proof for their imaginary friend. THat’s how messed up and paradoxial it works.
      No reason will do the trick of fear.
      That’s why we should ask the flying spaghetti monster (sauce on him) to Touch them. So they too will go to the heaven with beer vulcanoes.
      Only He (the FSM, sauce on him) can open the eyes of religious people with His devine Noodly appendages. We mortals with our logic can’t. We stand no chance to brainwashing.

• Danimal says:

Never say never Theo. There are a lot of former christians on this site. Besides I’m not convinced that Matt is a brainwashed christian. For all I know he is playing devil’s advocate to help hone our argument.

…oh sorry I broke out of character there for a minute…

You’re right Theo, let us throw back beers until the heathens are converted. Or at least until we are so drunk that christianity doesn’t seem so objectionable. Call it religious beer goggles.
        Danimal

• Theo says:

Never say Paradox!
          Cheers a lot and may his noodliness touch us all. I’ve downed 5 shots of whisky today so religion becomes a better and better option!
          RAmen!

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

You are awesome Danimal :) I love reading your posts!

• Danimal says: