Drunken Noodle Fest

Published July 30th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I would like to bring you in the loop on a yearly celebration in honor of FSM and all things noodly.  We call it Drunken Noodle Fest, and we are getting ready to celebrate the 4th annual next month ("DN4").  By we, I mean myself and my friend, Lee Kulick, and all of the Pastafarians we have managed to recruit.  We started the tradition a few years ago and have had a lot of fun with it!

The festivities are billed as "pirate camping adventures in the woods paying homage to FSM" and the event is held each summer in a public national forest location in Colorado.  We dress like pirates, drink grog, and have a jolly-good noodle of a time.  We do our best to keep the event as green as possible by recycling and packing out all of our trash.  The kids are rewarded for collecting litter, so we always end up leaving the location a little cleaner than we found it.

Each guest receives a Drunken Noodle survival kit.  In the past, these have included hand-made items, such as pirate-fish tote bags, 3-D FSM koozies, and FSM magnets; as well as rum shooters (for the adults) and all sorts of pirate-y stuff.  We camp from Thursday through Sunday and the main events occur on Saturday afternoon/evening.

We have a costume contest and give great FSM prizes (t-shirts, Gospel of the FSM books, key chains, car emblems, etc).  Last year we made a FSM pinata, complete with giant meatballs and glow-in-the-dark googly eyes.  Since it was so much fun, we plan to have another pinata at DN4.  We will also be hiding a FSM pirate treasure (geocache) in hopes of spreading the word of FSM to others.  Guests have been asked to bring Pastafarian-related trinkets to include in the cache.

Other items on this year’s agenda are a pirate-rubber-duck race down the creek (we will retrieve all of them, of course) and a hunt for the still-to-be-named rubber pirate chicken, both which will result in a special honor and fabulous prize package.  Note: I did not realize there was a pervading "rubber" theme until just this moment.

All hail FSM!

Alicia Cassens

Co-founder, Drunken Noodle Pastafarians

dn koozie

dn pinata

dn pirates sign

32 Responses to “Drunken Noodle Fest”

1 2 3 4
  1. Qwertyuiopasd says:

Do you partake of Drunken Noodles while at this fest?

Perhaps if you don’t have the facilities to stir fry, you can at least have more literally Drunken Noodles. XD

Although of course, we are all his Noodly Appendages, and if we’re drunk, well, there you go!

Sounds like a lot of fun, I’ll have to try and make it out there sometime. It is an annual event in August, right?

2. Wren says:

Wow, this sounds awesome. Shame I don’t live a little closer to Colorado. Maybe I’ll have to found the New Zealand chapter!

3. Ohio Pirate says:

Wow! This kind of stuff makes me really proud to be a pastafarian. People having a great time, bieng green, and educating the kids on how to be responsible for the earth. Well done fellow pastafarians, WELL DONE INDEED!!

RAmen!

4. Ham Nox says:

*blink blink* I live in the state right next door. WIN!!!

Dude, if you’re start up a Pastafarian camping group then I need to get in on it. My step-family is full of camping people–we have a big family trip at LEAST once a year, and the Grandma has all us Acorn Camp kids learning the ways of the wild and earning badges to go on our lanyards. We also used to do Art Shows, which had a different country as its theme every year, almost like an exploration of the many cultures that a pirate might come across in his travels.

And this is sounding 100x more fun than either of those. And a billion kajillion times more fun than Jesus camp!

• Starlite says:

^Ham’s said step-sister, coincidentally^
      Yeah, Gramma’s awesome that way…. Acorn scouts are like boy scouts, only BETTER! Cuz girls can join too! But uh, I’m really not sure that we’re gonna be able to make it up there this year. My mom has an auto-immune disorder , so If she spends too much time in the outdoors she “flares,” which means that she gets horrible sores in her mouth, her joints swell up, and she can get sick really easily. It also makes her really tired and vulnerable to injury. We also just had our trip up to Payson for our grampa and uncle’s memorial/ash spreading… (they both died this year :’( Uncle David drank too much, so he’s probably seriously enjoying the beer volcano…) So I’m not sure that we’re gonna go camping again in 2010. One major camp out s about the limit for my mom.

• Mr Cooper (allhailfsm) says:

I know it’s not my place to say, but i hope she gets better soon and all the best and so forth

5. Thursday says:

Sounds brilliant! Wandering about in the woods with a bunch of friendly silly types is a lovely way to spend the day. If we were any closer, I think we’d go as much for the survival kit as anything else!

We’ve just got tickets to the IgNobels in Boston, and are looking forward to spreading the word among the academic classes. If we can get three more Pastafarians going, then we can enter the hall as an “Official Delegation”. If you’re interested, details are in the forum under “The Iggies Are Coming!”

6. Purple says:

Alicia, where in Colorado is this? I just tried to search for your Facebook group, and I couldn’t find it… How are we supposed to let you know that we’re interested without any contact info on your post?

7. Lee says:

Hey fellow pastafarians! I’m the other co-founder, and to answer some of your questions:

The location has changed, but this is the 2nd year we’ll be at the same place, so hopefully it’ll be a keeper. It’s off of Guanella Pass, for those of you familiar with the area. So far this has been a small, family-and-friends trip. We wanted to share this with everyone as inspiration! But, you never know…maybe we’ll grow this thing! Maybe we’ll combine forces! Maybe I should talk to Alicia before I say stuff like this!

I’m so thrilled to hear of so much interest, I must say!!! In the meantime, happy festivaling to all of you in whatever form it takes.

In peace,
    Lee (the girl in the red shirt walking toward the camera in the picture with the dog)

• LittleMountain says:

I’m moving to Colorado in November! How can I find you people??

8. Chris Ferguson says:

“Please let me know if you would like more information on Drunken Noodle Fest or would like to join the Drunken Noodle Pastafarians (private) group on Facebook.”

So I’m asking for more information on your wonderful event and the FB page. I have only just begun to take my kids camping and I can’t think of a better way to introduce them to the great outdoors then with pirates.

Peace