What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others

Published June 18th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I wanted to write this, because as an Atheist myself, I still find your attempt at mockery not amusing. Though I lack religion, I still can respect others and their beliefs. Can’t you do the same? You can have your own viewpoint on life, but this makes all atheists look like assholes.

You may not agree with religion or the people who follow it, but keep in mind that you still have to live with them. Taking this approach, yes I’ll admit creative, but really destructive. I don’t see the point in this misguided "religion" but realize that just because you believe you are right, does not make it any less offensive.

The Kansas School Committee is looking pretty good right now.
-Annie

306 Responses to “What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others”

1 3 4 5 6 7 19
  1. Matticus says:

@ 13 – Apprentice Frederic – Jun 18th, 2010

“First, atheism is, in a perverse kind of way, a religion: it is based on assumptions that are quite as unprovable as the tenets of – say – Christianity.”

Whoa, back up a second! Can you offer anything to support this claim? Because I feel I can refute it.

I suspect you’re not just using the old “atheism-is-a-religion-because-it-requires-belief” argument that has been shot down so many times by others more eloquent than I. What I get from your message is, “atheists know as much about the world as (say) christians do, which is practically nothing.” Nor would I disagree with this sentiment.

Yes, both sides have assumptions that are probably unprovable. But if the proof or evidence did come around to challenge these assumptions, the typical atheist would gladly modify their assumptions to take this into account (as seen in the scientific method, for instance). A typical theist would hide from or twist the proof to strengthen those same incorrect assumptions (as seen in any fundamentalist camp). And just to be clear, the average semi-enlightened mass of “believers” do not, in my opinion, count as the “typical theist” because even though they go through the motions of their religion, most discount the nonsense they supposedly “believe” in (for example, how many (abrahamically) religious people obey the sabbath, abstain from pre-marital sex, and avoid divorcing?).

In the most basic sense, atheism is nothing like religion (even in a perverse sense).

Please do not take this as an attack, I am simply (and hopefully respectfully) trying to clear up what I see as a misconception of yours.

May your pasta never harden, and your sauce never congeal.

RAmen: Matticus

2. Cavatelli says:

Annie,
    First of all, the original purpose of this site was, and still is, to try and stop, christians from inflicting their religious views, in the form of intellegent design(ID), on students in public schools. If you had bothered to read the “about tab” you would have known that.

Secondly, you come here and say that we are being offensive. No one is forcing you or christians to come here and be offended. What about all the loving christians that come here and damn us to hell, pray that we suffer for eternity, and threaten to murder us? What about you coming here and essentiall calling us assholes. “You can have your own viewpoint on life, but this makes all atheists look like assholes.” So respectful.

Since I actually have a life and things to do, I will just add this one last thing. I don’t believe you’re an atheist. The way you phrased your comment is the same way christians do. Just replace “because as an Atheist myself” with “because as a christian myself” and “Though I lack religion” with “I am filled with god’s love” you have pretty much a standard christian hate mail, with better spelling & grammer.

May you be slapped upside the head by his noodly appendage and experience the peace of pasta.

3. zebobbybird says:

Personally i find myself split between the humane thing to do and the logical thing to do.

The humane thing to do is to let everyone be as long as they don’t interfere with your right to be. Obviously this makes insult and mockery on religion and freedom of relgion a bad thing.

The logical thing to do is, of cousrse, to get rid of all those who have different beliefs that are obviously illogical. There are two ways to get rid of these people, you can either use brute force, or marketing.

With coercion, you can kill them, brain wash them, threaten them, and do anything within your powers to make them change. However, with marketing, all you need to do is use marketing techniques. And if that means insulting the other product for its obviouse flaws, then do it.

4. theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Let’s work backwards, Annie.
    Do you respect the beliefs of the terrorist jihadists who killed thousands of civilians in the World Trade Center, or in Spain, the UK, Iraq, etc?
    Do you respect the beliefs of those good Catholics who killed over 100,00 Protestants in one month during the Reformation? Or millions of “savages” in the New World?
    Atsop Revol brought up the scary word Certitude. When pompous, arrogant (but well-meaning!) a-holes like the Kansas School board fail to respect anyone else’s beliefs, they are to be slapped down.

5. Robin Lionheart says:

Annie,

Your concern has been noted.

Some people have a religious belief that women should not be allowed to drive, vote, or show their faces in public. Those who truly respect people do not respect that belief.

Respecting people ≠ respecting their religious beliefs

6. Robin Lionheart says:

Annie,

Your concern has been noted.

Some people have a religious belief that women like you, Annie, should not be allowed to drive, vote, or show their faces in public. Those who truly respect people do not respect that belief.

Respecting people ≠ respecting their religious beliefs

7. JJ says:

Anny consider this. Last year I attended a lecture by American Atheist, which the first speaker show us some of the atheist adds that went up in the London transit system and other cities in the UK, USA, and Canada. He talked about how the adds were deliberately upbeat and as non-confrontational as possible (EX, “THERE’S PROBABLY NO GOD. STOP WORRYING AND ENJOY YOUR LIFE” or “Don’t believe in God? Your not alone”), and what the public responses were. What he best illustrated was that the Christian community wasnt “upset about what we were saying, they were simply upset that we were speaking at all”. I tend see eye to eye with this, as Ive spent a great deal of my life in rule SC, were any declaration of a an non-christian belief could be met with hostility. Which leads me to ask why we should bother censoring ourselves at all, much less pay respect to something which is inherently prone to bigotry and unable to reciprocate. Is respect to that which is intolerant of you anything more then submission and/or an arbitrary jester?

Im not trying to imply that any individual christian is going to be a bigot, or that I am going to be opposed to anyone who is christian, but Christianity is at best portraying me and my peers as morally inferior, and though that ill-equipped to hold positions, or make contributions were moral strength is necessary. To an end Christianity ultimately sentences all non-believers to a morally inferior status and an eternity of pain and suffering. I don’t think the satire here is anywhere near an equivalent of that, or deserving of the ‘why dont you be respectful’ comments we get so often.

8. Reggie Dixon says:

Annie – your last sentence gives the lie to your claim of having no belief in deities.

1 3 4 5 6 7 19