What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others

Published June 18th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I wanted to write this, because as an Atheist myself, I still find your attempt at mockery not amusing. Though I lack religion, I still can respect others and their beliefs. Can’t you do the same? You can have your own viewpoint on life, but this makes all atheists look like assholes.

You may not agree with religion or the people who follow it, but keep in mind that you still have to live with them. Taking this approach, yes I’ll admit creative, but really destructive. I don’t see the point in this misguided "religion" but realize that just because you believe you are right, does not make it any less offensive.

The Kansas School Committee is looking pretty good right now.
-Annie

307 Responses to “What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others”

1. Silas says:

You obviously have yet to be touched by His noodley appendage, and seem to be in dire need of enlightenment.

Even worse though, you have joined the ranks of those who have utterly missed the point. It’s true that our religion can be seen as highly offensive to some, and with a healthy amount of good reason, but remember this: those who lack a sense of humor do not have to come to this site. They do not have to listen to the teachings of the Prophet Bobby. They can freely turn from the embracing noodles of the FSM, and ignore his existence completely. In no way is this religion destructive or likely to end in anyone being physically hurt, killed, etc. unless the offended person takes some sort of violent action, which would be sad if that person claims to be a kind, peaceful (insert religious follower here). If they are violent, they are beneath us peace loving pastafarians, so we do not care about their opinion of us.

May your plate of pasta always be full,
    Silas

2. The Second to Last Angry Man says:

Religion has too many negative effects for it to be left alone as it is.
    If someone believes it is right to rape small children (I am not intentionally referring to anything here, just the first thing that popped into my head) does that mean we should respect that belief and allow it to continue.

3. ATSAP REVOL says:

Dear Annie,
    Respect? I’m 77 years old. All my life I’ve experienced disrespect from self-righteous Christians, especially the generally nasty ones who post hate mail here. I’ve tried hard to be tolerant when congress decided that the Pledge of Allegiance needed to contain the incantation “Under God.” I’ve tried to accept the whining of those who insist that prayer should be offered in school and that the Ten Commandments should be displayed in every public place. I’ve been subjected over-and-over to the false statement that “Our Founding Fathers were Christians, and they intended that this nation be a Christian Nation.”
    Here’s a word for Believers and Atheists alike to ponder: CERTITUDE. The word reflects an individual’s or organization’s opinion that their belief is the only correct one. Certitude is the greatest enemy of human cooperation and peace. Certitude causes the strife between Muslims and Christians, between Catholics and Protestants, between Arabs and Jews, between Democrats and Republicans, and between atheists and religious people.
    In my career as a scientist, I concluded that there are damned few things in the material world that deserve to be given the status of a certitude. In the areas of religion and politics, there are none.
    While there is little to support the existence of a supreme being called God, there is likewise no definite proof that such a being doesn’t exist. I guess you can call me an agnostic with a leaning toward atheism.
    I have been harsh with those who come here to spew their “certitudes.” I will continue to mock those who insist that they are unequivocably correct, and that goes for atheists as well as religious folk. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but just keep in mind that opinions are like assholes: everyone has one. Thanks for offering your opinion, Annie.
    Atsap, The Ancient One

4. Noodly James says:

Who’s mocking? All praise the spaghetti!!

5. Fussilier says:

Eh?…What?…I’m not an Atheist, I’m a Pastafarian!!

6. Mr Cooper (all hail FSM) says:

We do respect other religions they just don’t respect us oh and if you respect religions why don’t you respect ours?
    RAmen

7. gordon_uk says:

So what do we do? Let them run ruffshot over us?

8. Ryan says:

…how exactly do we makes atheists look bad?