What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others

Published June 18th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I wanted to write this, because as an Atheist myself, I still find your attempt at mockery not amusing. Though I lack religion, I still can respect others and their beliefs. Can’t you do the same? You can have your own viewpoint on life, but this makes all atheists look like assholes.

You may not agree with religion or the people who follow it, but keep in mind that you still have to live with them. Taking this approach, yes I’ll admit creative, but really destructive. I don’t see the point in this misguided "religion" but realize that just because you believe you are right, does not make it any less offensive.

The Kansas School Committee is looking pretty good right now.
-Annie

306 Responses to “What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others”

1. Gelfling says:

Respecting other people as human beings is absolutely necessary. Respecting others’ beliefs depends on the beliefs, doesn’t it? And when the direction of those beliefs leads to inappropriate “education” of children, then a serious problem exists.

I know (personally) of people who believe that African-Americans are generally inferior to caucasians. Is that belief to be respected? What about the ones who believe that atheists should not be considered citizens? Or the more extreme belief that it’s ok to beat up or even kill atheists? (Take a look at the Hate Mail to see how many loving christians wish that we would burn in hell.)

In my opinion the belief that non-scientific nonsense should be presented alongside scientific explanations in our schools is not to be respected.

2. Pilot wench says:

WHOOSHHHHH, there goes the point again…

3. Eric says:

You miss the point. Nobody’s railing against The Kansas School Committee (sic) for being religious. They’re being railed against for insisting on teaching religious dogma – a matter of private belief – as a matter of scientific fact.

As it happens….I personally WOULD rail against the Kansas School Board, or anyone, for dedication to faith, because faith is by definition unsupportable based upon the only faculty we have for making determinations about that which we will and will not believe: Our reasoning minds. Faith stands in direct opposition to reason. There is no basis for showing it deference or respect other than fear of reprisal.

4. John says:

Anyone who “respects” the Bible has never read the atrocities it contains and it is silly to act like they do not exist let alone give that book some sort of special status.

5. Apprentice Frederic says:

Annie: Many will reply to your note more ably and broadly than I, but I’d like to do my bit anyway. First, atheism is, in a perverse kind of way, a religion: it is based on assumptions that are quite as unprovable as the tenets of – say – Christianity. Second, I think that Pastafarianism is neither atheistic nor any other religion: it exists primarily to oppose the nubmskull Christian bigots that are trying to push their doctrine into public schools as “science” . Let me suggest that this website is just a mirror that – magically! – shows the onlooker his/her true face. If you take a look (you apparently haven’t) at the “Hate Mail” sector, you’ll see a fine cross-section of “Christian” humility, compassion, and tolerance. And that cross section – mostly assholes – deserve whatever mockery is heaped upon them. THEY came to THIS site to spew out their boorish, ignorant, bigoted, chest-pounding blustering and threats. Why dontcha talk to them about respect? None of us *have* to live with them!

• cadbrowser says:

Can we stop already with Atheism is a religion? No…it is in NO WAY a religion.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Sorry, cadbrowser; sincere apologies. My post was a while ago, and, having watched others post and argue since about the atheism/Atheism/religion issue, I do swear to stop – with maybe one last comment. In its “pure” form, atheism seems to me to simply ignore the possibility of a supreme being/primal cause/whatever as unprovable, unnecessary and irrelevant, which I kinda agree with, especially since evidence for his/her/its intervention any time since the Big Bang is so thin. HOWEVER, a component of the argument is the attitude of the atheists in question. If an atheist sticks his face into mine, calls me a stupid fucker for wondering if…. , and asks me why I’m so stupid that I can’t see that THERE ISN”T ANY GODDAMN GOD, then I get serious vibes of evangelical orthodoxy in about the same form as “real” religion has always offered. Pasta Vobiscum.

6. Evilarm says:

Really, thats the best you can do?
    “The Kansas School Committee is looking pretty good right now”
    Please, give me a break, the idea that religion is somehow to be inherently respected is one of the most asinine and toxic ideas ever created, and when comparing creationism to acctual science doubly so.
    And while were on the subject yeah it is destructive and a good thing to because there are in all fairness some parts of peoples religious beliefs that deserve to be destroyed.

7. JesusHChrist says:

“Atheist”? Bullshit. TrueAtheists never capitalize “atheist”.

Also, TrueAtheists are all secret pastafarians, otherwise — bzzzzt! — not a TrueAtheist!

8. Bowen says:

So, I suppose you would prefer it if we just let the fundies teach creationism as science. Maybe we should let them have their way and, as some of them have suggested, deport atheists, execute gays, and turn the whole friggin planet into one big theocracy. Is that what you want? No? Then you’ll just have to stay out of the way while the rest of us try to stop it from happening.

• nanner peel says:

Slippery slope fallacy, Bowen.