What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others

Published June 18th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I wanted to write this, because as an Atheist myself, I still find your attempt at mockery not amusing. Though I lack religion, I still can respect others and their beliefs. Can’t you do the same? You can have your own viewpoint on life, but this makes all atheists look like assholes.

You may not agree with religion or the people who follow it, but keep in mind that you still have to live with them. Taking this approach, yes I’ll admit creative, but really destructive. I don’t see the point in this misguided "religion" but realize that just because you believe you are right, does not make it any less offensive.

The Kansas School Committee is looking pretty good right now.
-Annie

306 Responses to “What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others”

1. BigBri says:

Annie, I can see that you have completely missed the point. The foundation of the CFSM is not to ridicule or mock somebody’s religious beliefs, (even though we really don’t understand how seemingly ‘intelligent’ people can have those beliefs), it was intended to mock and ridicule a school system for attempting to teach ID in the Public Schools.
    If you want to believe in ID, and you want to have that taught to your children, then that is your right. Go and find a Private School that teaches what you want, and then pay your money to get that. BUT, don’t take MY Pastafarian tax dollars and teach a theory, which I believe is crap, to MY children. All children have the avenues and opportunities to hear and explore their parents’ alternate theories on the origins of time and space in many places outside of the schoolroom.

Rather than surfing the web for your info about the CFSM you should go out and grab yourself a copy of: ‘The Gospel of the FSM’? Reading that might help you understand that we readily acknowledge there are many alternate, and all equally valid theories out there regarding science and the supernatural, and that NONE of them, including FSM, belong in the classrooms of the Public School systems. And beyond that, we have a shit load of fun!
    Raman! May the Pasta be with you sister.

2. Entertained says:

I am probably wrong, because I’m going to make a generalization, but I think that people who are intolerant of religions have some sort of unresolved anger towards religions. Or maybe it’s just me.

I can’t stand religions, mostly of Judeo-Christian, because I hate their exclusiveness, I hate their false promises, I hate the contradictions God makes, and most of all, I hate, abhor, despise God’s arrogance. Now I try to be tolerant and respectful, but when church groups come out on the campus and plaster Bible quotes all over the sidewalk or old people come out and force you to take one of those little Biblellets, I go mad. I seriously want to go on a rage. If I give them the right to practice their religion, shouldn’t I receive my right to be not religious? Not to have Bible thumpers in my face, telling me I will go to hell because I’m not a believer?

I know going to the level of these Bible thumpers and Jesus freaks is not the solution, but with repetition of these annoying acts, I cannot help myself but be intolerant. I am not a saint nor a perfect deity. And even a perfect deity such as God got rid of the entire human race when he was angry, so I guess we’re not that bad after all huh. :)

• Keith says:

You remind me of the time when I was in college. A fellow I had a passing acquaintace with came up to me and said “Jesus loves you, Keith”.
      “Not today, he doesn’t” I replied.
      He never spoke to me again.

3. James Garcia says:

my dentist installed a veneer on my front tooth and it looks better than ever;~*

• Zuri says:

What does that have to do with the disscussion?

4. Kurt says:

“I don’t see the point in this misguided “religion” but realize that just because you believe you are right, does not make it any less offensive.”

It’s a spoof of Christianity. If Christians think it’s stupid, then they think they’re stupid.

You find FSM offensive and disrespect it; YET you respect actual illogicity within Islam & Christianity etc? Talk about doublethink.

5. Dawkin Fan says:

Religion through its history has always had the value to attack and destroy what is different and does not fit. The fear of Muslims permeated now through the US, Homophobia and denying Gays the right to marry.

Science and educated people have always been a little more tolerant of religion and allowed its manipulation of the general public to breed a society of ignorance and hatred and fear. One where everyone thinks their views should not be questioned due to some divine presence one one hand, yet think they are given the free sword to wield against others with the other.

The Spanish Inquisition happened ~600 years ago let’s not let that mentality creep back into our society. Religion served its purpose its time is here and gone.

6. marginally says:

yeah. dammit. well then. hate mail, eh? well then….hey you guys!!!………god says he’s pissed and he told me to tell you that he’s fucking pissed. pissed off that is, not drunk (as you limey cocksuckers are wont to say). but full blown diamond grade hard-on pissed the fuck off. and did i mention he said he was FUCKING pissed? well he is…

and here’s what he said. and i quote “and who do those fuckers think they fucking ARE, do they? here they are, poking fun at god AND being a fucking pirate and little did they fucking know I”VE GOT A GOD SIZED HARDON FOR REVENGE (god doesn’t have to hyphenate “hard-on” because, well, because he’s god) for those spaghetti bastards. Think they can poke fun at me do they (does he? the whole “every-religion-gots-its-ownses-god” gets a BIT confusing.)

yeah, so i guess this is HATE MAIL FROM GOD. (ALL CAPS – BOLDED – excuse me, and in 14 point type. god was specific)

anyway, that’s the hate mail you slimy godless (?) bastards with your bowl of pastafanareism mumbo jumbo…

i have the one true god, and he’s in my watchpocket.

ooh yeah, and god said he’s going to smite the shit out of you fuckers too. so be expectin’ a damn fine smiting, coming up.

over and out from god
    the one true…

• gordon_uk says:

jog on fool

• Atsap Revol says:

Dear Marginally

As they say in England, “Piss Off” you marginally sane asshole.

AR

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

Wow!!! We have one who can read gods mind?!? It can read an invisible sky zombie’s mind! And threatening us! It can definitely read the sky zombie’s mind. Amazing.

Atsap, I wouldn’t even give it marginal on the scale of sanity.

• Despair says:

1) If your “god” is transcendent, so therefore, beyond your understanding (as your bible states). How can You, possibly know that he is Pissed off?
      2) As your bible states, Humans are all god’s children, Which would include us, so how could he be angry with us?
      3) If your fairy tale is true, then god made us with freedom of choice, and it also says he is omniscient, so when he gave us the freedom of choice he knew that we would create this new religion, surely?
      4)The bible preach’s so much peace, so why would god himself use violence? when the bible is “his word”
      5)Is god is omnipotent, can he create a stone he cant lift
      Thanks
      I think i just ermm… Owned you
      R’Amen

7. Love Advice  says:

veneers maybe necessary if you have very crooked teeth..’

8. June Lander says:

Fantastic article. Just discovered it on Aol. Thanks a lot for that helpful data. Keep up the exceptional work :)