What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others

Published June 18th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I wanted to write this, because as an Atheist myself, I still find your attempt at mockery not amusing. Though I lack religion, I still can respect others and their beliefs. Can’t you do the same? You can have your own viewpoint on life, but this makes all atheists look like assholes.

You may not agree with religion or the people who follow it, but keep in mind that you still have to live with them. Taking this approach, yes I’ll admit creative, but really destructive. I don’t see the point in this misguided "religion" but realize that just because you believe you are right, does not make it any less offensive.

The Kansas School Committee is looking pretty good right now.
-Annie

307 Responses to “What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others”

1 13 14 15 16 17 19
  1. FSM supporter says:

Why should we respect someone just because they’re religious? Respect is something you earn, not because you have a religious title to your name. More importantly why would I respect a religion that says I will go to hell unless I do exactly as the holy scripture says? To me that’s disrespectful to my beliefs.

• Tylena says:

There are many people on this forum asking why we should respect the (mostly christians) who come here to bash us. This is my view on what the answer to that question should be:

When people do things that make you admire them more than you would another, they can earn some more respect. This ‘extra’ respect they can also loose again by being assholes or pedophiles. However, they can never loose the basic respect everybody should have for other living creatures (not just for humans but also animals).

As for respecting the beliefs of other people, I think there should also always be a small amount of basic respect for what someone else sees as the truth. Believes can also earn and loose respect.

Personally, I have lost almost all the respect I once had for the christian beliefs (I am a born and raised atheist and will die as one as well). I don’t mind the people at the exit of my university always handing out pamphlets for their student church (I just ignore them). I am quite annoyed by the christains come to my house, knocking on my door, telling me they have come to enlighten me. But I am seriously offended by the people telling me that there is a god who is good and loving and allpowerful, when at the same time thousands of people who have done nothing wrong are suffering, dying, from the floods in Pakistan. And at the same time millions of people are dying from hunger, or lack of clean drinking water, or medical attention in third world countries. And I am seriously offended by people telling me, that everybody that does not welcome Jesus will go to hell. Because apperently, no matter how good you live your life, as long as you don’t believe in their god it’s still not good enough.

For all the “good” christians who have come to this forum and are asking for more respect because they feel offended by our satire of their religion: I’m sorry, but you just really don’t deserve more respect than what you’re getting now. When you have so little respect for all the other people in the world, claiming that their suffering and misery is part of a greater plan made by a all-loving and all-powerful god! Your religion is disrespectful in it’s nature! You have the right to be offended by this, but you don’t have the right to ask for more respect when you don’t give it anyone else yourself!

• Tri says:

Tylena “Everybody deserves a basic amount of respect, not for believing in one god or another (or not at all) or for having earned it, but because there humans, living, breathing creatures that have the right to live their own life. Even if they are assholes, or pedophiles, or christians.”

Everyone deserves empathy, not respect.

• Zuri says:

You should respect everyone, religious or not.

• plumberbob says:

@ Zuri ,

You should go to your closet and pray there in the utmost seclusion as you were specifically directed to do by your savior, through whom you violate the second commandment.

Matthew 6: 6 “…enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut the door, pray to thy Father which is in secret…”

Exodus 20: 3 “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.”

RAmen

2. BA says:

Annie, dear, really, why do you confuse (A) respecting people’s right to their beliefs with (2) respecting the actual beliefs?
    It leads to all sorts of dishonesty.

3. Craig says:

Anne says she is an atheist. So am I, although I do consider myself to be an aspiring practitioner of Buddhist philosophy. What I found curious was Anne’s statement “Though I lack religion, I still can respect others and their beliefs.” So, being atheist is lacking religion? Being atheist is some deficient, lacking, a deficit? Anne, if you really are an atheist, hold your head up high, you’re not lacking anything!

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Easy, Craig. Yes, atheism is the lack of religion. Just like sanity is the lack of delusions and hallucinations.

• midget_in_pirate_regalia says:

or baldness is a lack of a hairstyle, or bare feet is a lack of shoes. That’s what the ‘a’ in atheist means. a+theism = absence+superstition.

4. WolfClaw says:

This hatemail is MOCKING! I myself was an Athiest until i found this website. The FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monster) reached out to me and took me into his noodley appendage, and showed me how to BELIEVE. Although you were not chosen by the Flying Spaghetti Monster like some of us were, you should not judge us for it. The FSM has given me hope for A BETTER future, with more mountains, trees, midgets, and noodles.

5. T.Dooly says:

This is for all the believers and nonbelievers alike.
    A snipet from THE MYSTERIOUS STRANGER by Mark Twain.
    The very end of the book. It’s very true IMO.

Strange! that you should not have suspected years ago – centuries, ages, eons, ago! – for you have existed, companionless, through all the eternities.

Strange, indeed, that you should not have suspected that your universe and its contents were only dreams, visions, fiction! Strange, because they are so frankly and hysterically insane – like all dreams: a God who could make good children as easily as bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave his angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice and invented hell – mouths mercy and invented hell – mouths Golden Rules, and forgiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man’s acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him! . . .

“You perceive, now, that these things are all impossible except in a dream. You perceive that they are pure and puerile insanities, the silly creations of an imagination that is not conscious of its freaks – in a word, that they are a dream, and you the maker of it. The dream-marks are all present; you should have recognized them earlier.

“It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream – a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought – a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!”

He vanished, and left me appalled; for I knew, and realized, that all he had said was true.

6. shadow guitars says:

Hey, very nice website. I basically came throughout this on Bing, and I am happy I did. I will definately be coming back here much more generally. Desire I could add towards the conversation and bring a little far more on the table, but am just absorbing as very much data as I can at the second. Thank You

7. Muchacho says:

I am an atheist, but I think that if I were religious, I would prefer to be pastafarian.

• Ari says:

You can be both.

8. Noodly Appendage says:

I am a christian and am not offended by this website. I find it hillarious. It proves the point that just because someone beleivs in something it doesnt make them correct.

• Despair says:

That works both ways.. we’ve got just as much proof for this religion than you have for your flying wizard-of-an-excuse-for-violence

1 13 14 15 16 17 19