What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others

Published June 18th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I wanted to write this, because as an Atheist myself, I still find your attempt at mockery not amusing. Though I lack religion, I still can respect others and their beliefs. Can’t you do the same? You can have your own viewpoint on life, but this makes all atheists look like assholes.

You may not agree with religion or the people who follow it, but keep in mind that you still have to live with them. Taking this approach, yes I’ll admit creative, but really destructive. I don’t see the point in this misguided "religion" but realize that just because you believe you are right, does not make it any less offensive.

The Kansas School Committee is looking pretty good right now.
-Annie

307 Responses to “What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others”

1 12 13 14 15 16 19
  1. opiesysco says:

If I become President, I will make all religion in this country illegal. Except of course the Church of the FSM.

• Waterseas says:

Well, thankfully, you becoming president is very unlikely to happen, and also, the constitution would prevent that.

• Keith says:

Personally, I wouldn’t care either way as I don’t live in America.

• Marcy says:

In America it is our right to believe in whatever we want to; it is only our acts that are restricted in an attempt to make sure that we are all safe and happy and don’t infringe on each other’s most basic rights. What needs to be made illegal or taken away in this country is the power and the influence that these religions have. They are all too often above the laws of this country, and that has to stop. So the idea is not to make the belief of religion and most of the acts of worshiping the religion illegal (even though I wish everyone would stop believing in these sorts of things), but to subject these religions to the same laws as any other large corporation in this country, because when it comes down to it, in the real, observable, physical world, religion is just a large corporation.

• Atsap Revol says:

Good post, Marcy. Pedophilia in the Catholic Church should be reported immediately to civil authorities, not dealt with sloppily by the Church. That goes also for the Boy Scouts and any other church or “sacred” organization. That policy should be a no-brainer, but it looks like the Pope and other power figures are beginning to at least pretend that will be their new policy. I say keep suing the bastards; That’s the only way to get their attention.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

I was stunned when the pope called a meeting to discuss how to handle pedophilia by priests. Now, I’m an atheist, and most believers would thus tell you I have no morals, but I can’t understand what needed to be discussed. All the cardinals and bishops should have been commanded that as soon as they knew of these allegations, they had contact the authorities. If they try to cover things up, they will excommunicated and the gendarmes sicked on them, too.

• Atsap Revol says:

As I said above, the policy should be a no-brainer not requiring a meeting called by the Pope to discuss how to handle pedophiles within the church.

• John says:

I always find it disheartening to see people stereotype the Catholic Church as a den of pedophilia. Although I now class myself as an atheist, I was raised in a loving, Catholic household where we attended mass every Sunday. My mother even works in the same diocese where most of the abuse scandals happened, and I remember being afraid for her safety every time she went off to work. I can assure you, the Church has changed. The lengths the people in the diocese go to in order to protect young people is astounding, and they do not receive nearly enough credit. I might not agree with all the teachings of the Church, but to class them all as perverts is not only wrong, but flies in the face of the efforts of thousands to ensure all young people are safe. Most of the abuse occurred decades ago, and if any new cases were to come up today it would be dealt with in a very swift manner.

As to continue the suing, I can assure you it does nothing to the true guilty priests. The cost of the settlements was placed directly upon the lay workers in the diocese, i.e. my mother and her coworkers. While no priests involved with the sex scandal lost any money, my family had to make do with less, and we were the lucky ones. Many people lost their jobs. Please think of who will feel the real burden when you declare that they should be sued even more.

• John says:

As a clarification, I was worried for her safety because of the virulent protesters who would stand outside her office, hurtling death threats.

• Danimal says:

“As to continue the suing, I can assure you it does nothing to the true guilty priests. The cost of the settlements was placed directly upon the lay workers in the diocese, i.e. my mother and her coworkers. While no priests involved with the sex scandal lost any money”

Sounds like your (former?) church is placing the burden on the backs of the people, as usual. You can assure me the church has changed? Doesn’t sound like it.

You’re right that it is unfair to make every church member responsible for the acts of pedophile priests, we’re just asking that the pedophile priests and their supervisors be held responsible all the way up to the top. However, I doubt that will ever happen. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that this most recent scandal involving the sexual abuse of children is somehow an out of character action for the church. The history of the catholic church, christianity, and well, all religion in general is filled with horrible acts. And don’t make the mistake of thinking that pastafarians are the first group of intelligent people to speak out against religion. History is filled with great minds decrying the absurdity of invisible friends in the sky (except maybe for the Dark Ages when people were killed for speaking out against religion.)

The church deserves everything it gets and more. If people like your mother suffer for being members of the church they should leave like you and I did.

Peace,
          Danimal

• John says:

It’s not that they wanted to pass the debt onto their workers, it’s that they legally had to. The people who sued went after the diocese, not the guilty priests, which is understandable since most of the priests were already dead. They had to pay the debts, but that meant that they could not afford to keep paying the same wages in the immediate sense, and could not even employ as many lay workers. To think that they’re an evil group who passed the debt onto workers is a gross mis-characterization.

Please note that I’m also not saying I endorse any religion, nor am I blind to the evil that they have done. I personally subscribe to no faith or profess a belief in a higher power (save the Most Holy FSM, may his noodley appendage touch us all). The point that I’m making is that for there to be an honest, open discussion on the merits of faith (or more specifically, the lack thereof), neither side can afford to over-generalize the debate. Undoubtedly there are evil members in the history of all religions, but to think that all faithful are evil is dishonest at best.

• Danimal says:

I agree with your second paragraph. It’s just too bad the Vatican is out of money and can’t help your diocese out.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

I was also raised Catholic. The local pastor tried to feel up my 13 year old sister, and the boy’s coach for all sports was in it to meet boys. In my Catholic high school, the track coach would give us the creeps in the locker room by sitting where he could check out everyone in the showers.

• Atsap Revol says:

Of course the majority of Catholic Priests are decent folks and not pedophiles. However, the small percentage of sexual perverts within the church and the way they have been mishandled by the Church has darkened the image of the Catholic Church to Catholics and non-Catholics alike. That’s the thing that’s disheartening. The numbers of practicing Catholics will decline sharply as a result of the Church’s actions, or lack of appropriate actions.
          It’s too bad that dioceses have been hit hard by lawsuits, but how else can the problem be forcefully presentred to Catholic authorities and changes brought about? As Danimal later sarcastically states: “Too bad the Vatican is out of money and can’t help your diocese.”
          (BTW, I’m not and never have been a Catholic or a member of any other church)

• Darwinian says:

I am thrilled to hear that things are changing. But lets look back what started this website. That would be an attempt by fools to get their demented beliefs taught as truth in schools. Now tell me truthfully, if the catholic church still held the power they had in the dark ages would they not be doing the same thing? The only purpose in any organized religion is to gain power and wealth and be able to tell people how to live. The remenants of that power are what allowed those priests to get away whit their heinous acts.

If some deluded fool wishes to believe in the teachings of a corrupt and power grubbing religion, well I can’t fix stupid. But allowing that aforementioned religion ANY special privledges is in and of itself a heinous and criminal act. Lets not do it.

• Sean Boyd says:

Suggest an alternative.

• B. says:

An alternative to stupidity?

Thank you.

• Cassandra says:

Then you would be just as bad as the religious peoples you claim to hate. No matter what you believe in, youre touching on a different subject entirely

Tolerance

learn it

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

I will not tolerate that which causes harm and destruction.

• rs.empire says:

Most religious people are not tolerant, far from it actually. Try telling a Muslim Allah is bs… The fact that Pastafarianism is getting so much criticism is largely because other it is not tolerated by other religions people.

• Zuri says:

The constitution outlaws that.

2. Humpage says:

“I wanted to write this, because as an Atheist myself … Though I lack religion, I still can respect others and their beliefs”

That is oxymoronic in nature. You are an Atheist, thus by definition you reject any notion of deities or religious beliefs. You believe that there can be no god and that it is impossible for such a thing to have ever existed. Yet you respect other people who tell you that you are 100% wrong but can give no plausible reason as to why you are wrong. Yet you say you respect them. If that were true, you should respect FSM and stop being offensive by saying that it is being destructive. Just because you think you are right, does not make you any less offensive.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

When I hear a religious devotee whining “You should respect my beliefs”, what I get is “Please tell me I’m not crazy for basing much of my life on these fairy tales. Tell me I’m just as rational as you”. Sorry, I can’t do that.

• Not so hairless Ape says:

I’m to the point where I’ll give them the same “respect” they give me as an atheist.

As far as I’m concerned the more devout the theist the more deluded and unstable the so-called mind.

• Zuri says:

You’re right. We should have respect for athiests. Though *some* athiests mock Christians, it’s mostly a reaction.
          Once again, why can’t there be peace?

• Zuri says:

We believe what we believe.

You believe what you believe.

Why can’t there be peace?

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

Because people like you won’t shut the hell up and leave us alone!

• Zuri says:

Oh, so when you guys try and shove your beliefs down our throats, we should just sit there and become your slaves? I don’t think so!

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

Where have we done that specifically? All we have is this cool website. Has a Pastafarian come to your house and tried to convert you? Have you received a pamphlet on the street from a Pastafarian? Where are the Pastafarian church services on TV? However, all these things the xian population does do on a daily basis. And you are here, and we are not on your ‘yeah god’ websites. So, who is doing the shoving?

• plumberbob says:

@ Zuri,

I shouldn’t have to remind you again, but repetition is always necessary when dealing with small children. You are at our website; we haven’t come trolling to your websites.

I need to have your exegeses on scriptural references I’ve left for you on other threads here.

Show us your scholarship, and then leave; then there will be peace.

RAmen

• Waterseas says:

He respects constructive groups, not groups like this, where they’re only reason is to make a mockery of others.

• Cavatelli says:

So you consider the westboro baptist church a constructive group?

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

Constructive groups? Like the ones who won’t allow women on the pulpit but will allow child molesters to be priests? Those who harass families of fallen soldiers? Those who preach hate of anyone who doesn’t agree with them? THOSE kind of constructive groups?

And this only appears to be a mockery to you because you are seeing the similarities and it disturbs you. It is not a mockery. It is a satire. I hope you understand the difference.

• Thomas L. Nielsen says:

One very important thing that I feel the CoFSM is doing, is to effectively hold a mirror up to other religions and say “Guys, this is what you look like”.

And if a mirror mocks you, is that then the mirrors fault?

Regards, RAmen and Pastafarian Greetings,

Thomas L. Nielsen
        Luxembourg

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Often in the initial stages of construction you have to tear down the crumbling ruin on that site.

• Rev Toni Rigatoni says:

Nor does it make you right

• Zuri says:

She didn’t disrespect anyone. She asked for respect.

3. Will says:

I never found the FSM to be offensive. When you say things like that to us, it hurts our religion. And yes, it’s not just a satire! The FSM in the most believable deity I have so far seen, and thus far has answered my prayers to Him. Yarr.

• Zuri says:

The belief itself is not offensive. She’s talking about your Bible making fun of other religions.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

You may want to use that handy dandy internet for good and utilize a dictionary and figure out the difference between making fun of and satire.

4. RFtr4rt says:

Since when do religious liars and assholes deserve respect? Annie, grow some balls, seriously.

• Waterseas says:

You are obviously an asshole yourself, so I’m not entirely sure why you’re saying what you are.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

Instead of name calling it would be great if you would actually provide something to back up your post. How is RFtr4rt being an asshole? Stating the truth may be disturbing, but it is not being an asshole. It is a whole lot better than any church you will enter.

Those who speak of that they do not know show themselves to be ignorant assholes. Perhaps you should take a look in the mirror…

• Chas says:

I hope you realize how retarded you sound. 8 yr olds can come up with better comebacks

x2

• Zuri says:

Lying isn’t the same as believing.

People who believe in religion are human beings, hence they deserve respect.

5. Someone out there says:

Do you also respect people who still believe in Santa Clause at age 30? If not, where do you draw the line?

The belief in a personal deity is very primitive superstition and similar to the belief in a Tooth Fairy or Santa Clause and I do not see why it is wrong to ridicule such a primitive superstition. It is not an attack on religion per se, as not all religions hold such primitive superstitions. For example, some forms of Buddhism and Pantheistic interpretations of Polytheism are entirely philosophical, entirely logical and compatible with modern science. The FSM by no means offends these people as their criticism is just a criticism of primitive superstition and not philosophy.

• Heretic Corsair says:

So if a religion has a some slightly socially-acceptable philosophy/logic behind it, is it partially ‘Redeemed’?

• Gobsmacked... says:

Wha………….. Santa? Whu………? OMHFSM……. I’m gutted…

• Zuri says:

Yes, I do. I still believe in Santa Claus, by the way. I’m not 30 though.

6. Particularly Puzzled says:

Attempt at mockery? We of the FSM attempt nothing, we seem to be succeeding in our mockery rather well actually, and rather than taking it for what it is, mockery, and enjoying it in the spirit in which it was intended, you seem to have found some negative connotation within it, which probably means you didn’t really research FSM and the ideas behind it. Being new to the Church of FSM myself, having only recently been introduced, I would have to say that even I may not know what I’m talking about, but from everything I have heard or seen or read or had explained to me. The entire idea is to take people and beliefs that have puffed themselves up and taken themselves too seriously, and stick a pin in their balloon full of hot air. it’s a chance to take a subject that normally induces crusades and suicide bombers and instead turn it into something to smile about, there’s nothing here making fun of religion, rather seeing the amusing side of it and looking at it from fully logical stand point rather than simply accepting or rejecting any idea without truly thinking about it. An idea that the average human being may find offending simply because it forces them to actually use their brain instead of mindlessly mimicking the noises of their peers. Ramen.

7. David says:

Atheists have never been treated with respect. Atheists are constantly threatened with hell and insulted. I have met some psychos who have laughed at me because I will go to hell. Not all theists are like this, but basically every creationist, the group of which we are mocking, is.

They beat us over the head with their crucifix then ask for respect when we try to take it away.

• Zuri says:

I, for one, treat athiests with respect.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

You have an extremely warped view of what “respect” is…

• Danimal says:

Zuri,
        Oh my FSM, if the volley of posts over the weekend is you being respectful then I’d hate to see you at your most boorish.
        Still waiting to see what logical loophole you use to justify the genocide of the OT.
        Danimal

8. theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Waterseas: Do you believe in Athena, Thor, Jupiter, Baal, Vishnu, Allah, Anubis, Osiris, Tengri, Uzume or Odin? How about Amimitl or Chantico or Catequil? If the answer to these and thousands more is no, you are 99.99% atheist! Are you then that much different from Drained and Washed Clean, Atsap Revol, Not so Hairless Ape and others? They’ve just taken it that one step further, brother!

• Keith says:

I don’t know about Catequil, but I know Cyndaquil exists as I have faced off against one with my Jigglypuff. What’s more, I have a photo to prove it! Let’s see the god botherers produce convincing photos of what they believe in.

• Zuri says:

No, not the gods you mentioned. I believe in the God of the Bible and Jesus though. Guess I’m not an athiest.

1 12 13 14 15 16 19