What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others

Published June 18th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I wanted to write this, because as an Atheist myself, I still find your attempt at mockery not amusing. Though I lack religion, I still can respect others and their beliefs. Can’t you do the same? You can have your own viewpoint on life, but this makes all atheists look like assholes.

You may not agree with religion or the people who follow it, but keep in mind that you still have to live with them. Taking this approach, yes I’ll admit creative, but really destructive. I don’t see the point in this misguided "religion" but realize that just because you believe you are right, does not make it any less offensive.

The Kansas School Committee is looking pretty good right now.
-Annie

306 Responses to “What Happened to the Concept of Respecting Others”

1 17 18 19
  1. lord barbecue says:

Annie, it can be very difficult to get people to break out of a belief system. If you make a frontal attack on their beliefs they will usually either refuse to listen or fall into a pattern of circular logic in defense. Sometimes its more effective to challenge a belief by slipping in though a side door. Science fiction is a classic example of this. Much of the best science fiction carries underlying themes that challenge our beliefs in culture, morality, bigotry, etc. But these challenges are set in alien worlds or future times and so they don’t seem so threatening. Here, instead of rockets and alien worlds, satire is being used to challenge religious-based beliefs in ID. It may not be pretty, but at least in defending their beliefs against satire there’s a chance that you’ll trick a few people to examining religion in a way that they wouldn’t have otherwise.

P.S. All you Pastafarians are blasphemers. Barbecue is the real path to salvation.

• TiltedHorizon says:

BBQ HEATHEN! I don’t care how delicious you think your religion is. Unless you are talking ribs…. err, never mind that, your and your delicious beliefs don’t belong here!

um… if you forget a plate of babyback ribs I’ll forgive your transgressions.

Ramen!

• lord barbecue says:

Obviously, you need some proof. Ok, here goes. Death is a fundamental component of religion. All TRUE religions require that something with blood in it’s veins dies along the way (animal sacrifice, Jesus, infidels, whatever). If there isn’t any bloodletting then it’s not a religion, it’s just a heathen cult.

In the Church of Barbecue, all of our services begin with the death of a pig, cow, or at least a few chickens. There is a sect that’s branching out into seafood, but they are looked upon with suspicion by the fundamentalists.

I don’t see any death in Pastafarianism. All I see is life and hope.

I suppose if you throw some meatballs or sausages into the sauce then you might be on the right track. Still, that seems like a mere afterthought and not part of the fundamental doctrine.

• TiltedHorizon says:

Obviously there is meat in the meatballs, not that filler crap Taco Bell uses, there is also meat in the sauce, it’s just not a central theme as it is our intent to sustain the continuation of life with minimal death.

I’ll wait until the Church of Barbecue quells the infighting on how best to practice their faith before I’ll consider the arguments. Last time I looked, the Charcoalian faction was still at war with modern Propane fundamentalist, and don’t get me started on all regional variations.

• wulff says:

Last week I was nearly killed by a brawl between the Dry-rubbers and the Marinators.

• Hollis says:

See now the Church of Barbecue sounds an awful lot like saturdays in Texas. Does that mean that church is on saturday? Then I could have 2 delicious religions. Remember that man/midget/pirate/lumberjack cannot live on spaghetti alone, no matter how good the sauce.

• HoaiPhai says:

Why can’t we all get along? I propose an interfaith meeting where pasta with chunky meat sauce gratinée is prepared on a BBQ with the lid closed.

2. theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

“Though I lack religion, I still can respect others and their beliefs. Can’t you do the same?”
    My young granddaughter asked me the other day if I went to church, and I told her no. Luckily, she let it go at that. If I had to explain that I didn’t believe in god, and that church was a hoax, I’d be at odds with her mother. See, the religious can spout fantasies all day and expect to be praised for it, but us atheists are expected to STFU.

3. Kid Northcote says:

I once met a dyslexic philosopher who spent much time debating the existance on Dog.

BBQ Kangaroo is really nice, but cook it rare and marinate it, like Venison.

Annie..are you, like, seeing anyone?

Just askin…x o

4. Umm... says:

Umm…”Atheist” should not be capitalized, it is not a religion but a lack thereof.

5. Sure Bob Sure says:

“though I lack religion, I still can respect others and their beliefs’

I don’t respect beliefs for their own sake. Do you respect medieval religious beliefs about witches? How about religious beliefs in favor of female genital mutilation? A-OK by you, is it, because otherwise some “believer” will take offense?

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Try as I might, I cant muster any respect for the Mormons’ magic underwear, or the Jews not being able to eat cheeseburgers, or the 72-virgin thing for Muslims. Oh, did I leave out Christians? Especially the snake-handling ones or the live-in-the 18th century ones?

• SillyKiwiMan says:

I can’t respect stupidity as a lifestyle choice. When someone decides to believe in something with a complete lack of evidence, and indeed evidence to the contrary, then it’s stupidity. Dress it up however you like, but it’ll still be stupidity.

1 17 18 19