Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning

Published June 15th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

touchdown

Ohio’s giant Touchdown Jesus statue was hit by lightning and burned to the ground last night.

A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms raised along a highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground, police said.

The sculpture, 62 feet tall and 40 feet wide at the base, showed Jesus from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way his arms were raised, as though reaching out to catch a football. It was made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, which is all that remained early Tuesday.

More from CSMonitor

Here it is, burning:

Google tells me that many Jesus statues have been struck down by lightning.  As far as I know there have been no FSM statues destroyed.

65 Responses to “Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning”

1 3 4 5
  1. Slave of The Mericful says:

You see, this is a sign of our Lord. It’s a way to say: Jesus is not your Lord, nor an idol to be worshiped. But rather a prophet of mine given to you.

• Olio says:

Rather kindling for the fire?

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Or it could be a sign that natural laws – like lightning being attracted to tall, metal-framed structures – don’t care about superstitions.

• Olio says:

Indubitably.

At the risk of repeating myself, said as much previously. This reportedly a metal frame with portions protruding up covered only in a type of hardened foam or something. Allegedly this has happened in other places. If its the same guy making these he might want to reconsider the materials. Speaking of which when is there to be an fsm structure built? Hopefully not one made of metal/ wire base.

• Olio says:

But. If it was bent instead of set afire, Uri Geller could be implicated.

• Keith says:

Some of the spaghetti I have eaten in the past has taken forever and a day to soften. I won’t mention the brand name here but I would certainly recommend it for the framework of our beloved FSM statue. It would sustain very little damage from lightning I’m certain.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

Of course it cares! But this person is assuming his god is responsible. I think Zeus is very offended right now… After all, lightening is his thing.

• Thomas L. Nielsen says:

I think Thor might also have a thing or two (not to mention a big, big hammer) to say about that!

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
          Editor, The Norseman Monitor
          Luxembourg Office

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

I, personally, am amazed that you know exactly what god is thinking! Surely if it can tell you why it set a statue on fire with lightening then it can surely tell you how to solve the problems in the world. We should start with the cure to cancer. What does your god have to say about that? World hunger?

Don’t you think your gods time would be better spent dealing with actual issues as opposed to lighting “his son” on fire?

• Keith says:

I would have said that if a supreme being is going to start with any problem it should be the overwhelming human population crisis. War and genocide are obviously not the answer. The religious leaders of the world should be telling people that if thay can’t keep their legs together they should be using contraceptives.

• Olio says:

‘Population Crisis’

You may recall a Highway Sniper back around 2004. He was evidently concerned about population control. Or something for certain.

Since you brought up that topic , the National Adoption Day is slated for Nov 07 of this year in the USA.

It may be the first annual one, not sure.

• Keith says:

I don’t recall a highway sniper in 2004. Did it happen in America? If so, not everything that happens in America is splashed across the front pages of Australian newspapers.

• Olio says:

Sorry Keith, yes that was in the USA, a guy trained a teenager along with him to start picking off members of the general populous seemingly at random along some turnpikes in Indiana, in Ohio I think as well and maybe other places, don’t quote me on precise locations but was touch and go for awhile they would ever catch the guy. Anyway that is what I thought of when you cited population control.

As to the quotes attributed to Oral Roberts by theFewtheProudtheMarinara, I happened by a posting on a chaplains door yesterday and it seems fitting :

Jesus cured many who were sick and drove out many demons as he traveled and preached.

This was accompanied by a painting of Jesus attending a person sick in bed and was not assigned to any particular biblical quotation otherwise. I must say it is a much kinder sentiment than for example ‘hope you stay sick’…or ‘you had that coming’ …

• Keith says:

Well, I remember the Port Arthur incident in Tasmania in 1996 with 30 odd people killed. That incident gave the politicians snd the anti gun lobby carte blanche to play the “guilt by association ” card and confiscate and destroy thousands of firearms from people who were doing nothing wrong. Naturally they dutifully deplored the above incident, as indeed any reasonable person would but I daresay some of them were secretly rubbing their hands with glee with the thought of showing those “evil gun owners who’s boss.”
          In case anyone is thinking of responding to this, no I am not a gun toting redneck, although I do own firearms. Nor do I advocate mass murder as a means of population control (see previous post) . I DO object to politicians prostituting a tragedy to force their own private hates on the populas.

• Olio says:

‘force their own private hates on the populace’?

I don’t follow.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Years ago Oral Roberts – in a move to fleece his flock – told them God had appeared in a 9 hour dream, and said he’d “call Oral home” unless he raised enough money to fund a research center to cure cancer.

This raised a number of questions to me:
        1. How do you know how long a dream is? P.S. some of us work for a living, sleepy-head!
        2. I summed it up in one sentence. God sure goes on and on, doesn’t he??
        3. Instead of telling Oral to raise money, why didn’t God visit a medical researcher and TELL him the cure. Hell, write it down.
        4. Supposedly God invented cancer, so he can just UN-invent it.
        5. We all have to die some way, so what will it be instead of cancer? Shark attack?

• Keith says:

More likely rabies from being bitten by a god botherer.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

tFtPtM,
          As always, your list of questions right on. I’d humbly append one more: Why wouldn’t An- – er, Oral – want to be “called home” by the almighty? And, BTW, the image of a fleeced flock totally delightful.

• Asap Revol says:

Being a Cranky Old Fart, I can remember the days of “Radio Evangelism.” Oral (good god, what kind of Mom and Dad would name their son Oral?) Roberts was peddling Prayer Handkerchiefs on his radio show for a couple of bucks each. Oral once was found with a car trunk full of small, unsorted loose bills when the police stopped him.

Now we have Peter Popoff peddling his “Miracle Spring Water.” These “Christian” evangelists are not just “Fleecing” their Flocks (good one, tftptm), they are screwing them while they shear them.

The lesson unlearned by devout religious people of questionable intelligence is: If you think and behave like a sheep you will be sheared and screwed.

Atsap Revol, COF

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
          I believe Oral was exactly the name he deserved. All he ever did was run his mouth. If I was a con man, a preacher I would be. Not only legal, respected in most quarters. Go figure!

2. Thomas L. Nielsen says:

Or as Doug McLeod put it: “I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence.”

Regards & all, and Arrrr…..

Thomas L. Nielsen
    Celestial Lightning Protection LCC
    Luxembourg Office

3. Candy says:

I do consider all of the concepts you’ve offered on your post.
    They are very convincing and can definitely work.
    Still, the posts are very short for beginners.
    May you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time?

Thanks for the post.

4. Danmuazu says:

Iam an African. When christian came to Africa they made us burnt our statues which represented our gods and heroes. They declared them as Idols. Even now they despised our statues of heroes and gods, calling their worshippers heathens. Now Iam amazed to see Idols being worshipped by christians in their shrines called churches. When you ask they why, they will tell you those idols of jesus, mary, saints etc are not idols but statues representing their gods and that they do not worship the statues but what they represent. So I ask, do think we African are so foolinsh to worship to worship carved figure not what they represent? If ours is idol worship, the christians are also Idol worshippers. That is why I am a muslim. I hate bundle of contradictions and illogicallity.

• SillyKiwiMan says: