Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning

Published June 15th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

touchdown

Ohio’s giant Touchdown Jesus statue was hit by lightning and burned to the ground last night.

A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms raised along a highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground, police said.

The sculpture, 62 feet tall and 40 feet wide at the base, showed Jesus from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way his arms were raised, as though reaching out to catch a football. It was made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, which is all that remained early Tuesday.

More from CSMonitor

Here it is, burning:

Google tells me that many Jesus statues have been struck down by lightning.  As far as I know there have been no FSM statues destroyed.

67 Responses to “Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning”

1. Spiele says:

I like this post, enjoyed this one appreciate it for posting .

2. Spiele says:

Real fantastic information can be found on site .

3. Verline Caouette says:

Many thanks for your time and efforts to have decided to put these things together on this website. Michael and that i very much liked your ideas through the articles about certain things. I understand that you have a variety of demands in your program therefore the fact that an individual like you took as much time just like you did to help people really like us through this article is even highly valued.

4. Flagyl says:

I admit, I have not been on this webpage in a long time… however it was another joy to see It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues.Great stuff as usual.

5. Victor says:

I’ve just seen this site and i made contact with this religion 5 minutes ago and i must say that i strongly believe the points of this religion, there are lots of jezus-statues and a number were destroyed. i also must say that as far as i know there are no statues of the great noodly one destroyed. this must be proof of the fact that the great noodly one is everywhere to protect us and himself

6. Keith says:

Wow, Jesus has posted on this site!

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

Come on Keith, that’s not Jesus! The poster is clearly not English and as any good christian will tell you, Jesus was a blonde haired, blue eyed Englishman!!

Sauce be with you.

The Reverend

• Keith says:

If that is the case, then Jesus must have been a villain. According to American film and tv, excepting Parker and Lady Penelope, all English people are villains (and Thunderbirds was an English production anyway).

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

True enough Keith, he probably was, look at the money lenders debacle: they must ‘ave stitched ‘im up like a kipper for ‘im to have given ‘em such a spankin’.

Big Toni.

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

…or maybe they were just on his turf, and he had to show them that Jesus ‘Bone Crusher’ Christ wasn’t to be fucked with!

• Keith says:

Perhaps, then, the crucifixion was an attempt to evade the law “You’re not getting me, copper. I’d rather die than go to jail and get raped by…(insert latinised name of famous serial rapist here).”

• Olio says:

I really tried to follow this but got lost. I’ve never seen an englishmuffin portrayed that way. What movies are you seeing? Not Shaun of the Dead. Those guys are the heroes. What does this to do with Jesus again?

7. Olio says:

Appears to be Papier Mache. Be honest is this a spoofed article?

• Keith says:

It was quite real, Olio.

8. Olio says:

I stand corrected Keith.

That particular image resembles an uncle of an associate of mine. Not the typical depiction. I suspected perhaps someone had done a small model statuette and photoshopped it into a picture including the church.

If this is true and these all are getting ignited and destroyed following lightning strikes, perhaps another substrate is in order
    Maybe a nice totem pole carving instead of the metal frame with flammable covering? Cast cement perhaps. Something.