Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning

Published June 15th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

touchdown

Ohio’s giant Touchdown Jesus statue was hit by lightning and burned to the ground last night.

A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms raised along a highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground, police said.

The sculpture, 62 feet tall and 40 feet wide at the base, showed Jesus from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way his arms were raised, as though reaching out to catch a football. It was made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, which is all that remained early Tuesday.

More from CSMonitor

Here it is, burning:

Google tells me that many Jesus statues have been struck down by lightning.  As far as I know there have been no FSM statues destroyed.

65 Responses to “Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning”

1. RVL says:

Going down in flames of glory, and resurrected as landfill, the inevitible second coming will have better insurance.

2. jayson says:

what kind of jesus is that? he can’t even protect himself from the strike of lightning…
    I am firm to believe that that is not the true jesus the Bible teaches…
    Thanks be to God that I heard Bro. Eli’s teachings!!

3. Spaghetti says:

Jesus: Touchdown Dad!!! XD

God: *BOOM!!!* Offsides BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!

4. Velma Porq says:

People build giant buildings and statues. Lightening hits tall objects. Ohio is prone to getting severe thunder storms.

It was only a matter of time until a tornado or lightening came along and destroyed that wasteful, false idol. All other extravagant religious relics should watch their backs. Apparently the FSM can be quite wrathful when it pleases him.

Is this the part where we should grovel on our knees and burn the bodies of our fattest goats and finest crops of grain?

5. lowongan kerja agustus 2010 says:

What I dont understand is how you’re not even more popular than you are now. Youre just so intelligent. You know so much about this subject, made me think about it from so many different angles. Its like people aren’t interested unless it has something to do with Lady Gaga! Your stuffs great. Keep it up! 13:41

6. True Jesus says:

It is the time to you to go and search about the true Jesus.
    Jesus never says I am God or worship me !
    Isn’t it strange that you assume he came to earth as a man to pay the price of the “original sin” and he never speaks about this “sin” in the bible.
    go and open the bible you will find that Jesus never says:
    I am God?
    I am God the son?
    I am God the holey spirit?

open your eyes and think carefully.
    God can do every things that is Godly not silly.
    God can not be a man !!

• Ninny says:

I am so holey I can’t drink water in public because all the leaks. It’s embarrassing.

7. mari nari saus says:

He was out!! That was NOT a touchdown.

8. Kaylee Tramonti says:

Perfect just what I was searching for! here .