Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning

Published June 15th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

touchdown

Ohio’s giant Touchdown Jesus statue was hit by lightning and burned to the ground last night.

A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms raised along a highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground, police said.

The sculpture, 62 feet tall and 40 feet wide at the base, showed Jesus from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way his arms were raised, as though reaching out to catch a football. It was made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, which is all that remained early Tuesday.

More from CSMonitor

Here it is, burning:

Google tells me that many Jesus statues have been struck down by lightning.  As far as I know there have been no FSM statues destroyed.

67 Responses to “Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning”

1. Bob says:

I just spent a few minutes trying to come up with something serious, profound, or witty to say about this, but I can’t seem to do it. Every time I almost come up with something, I go back to having the giggles!

2. Darwinfish says:

It’s called Terminator Jesus now. GET TO THE DOGMACHOPPER!

3. Bosn_C_Otter says:

Jesus was destroyed by the basic laws of physics his existence mocks.

4. Katie says:

Oh no! Not Jesus! xD

Ah…if only these religious guys would work on developing their sense of humor…personally, I think this is kinda hilarious…as long as no one got hurt in the process…

lawl….religion. The ULTIMATE Comedy.

5. Danimal says:

BOOM! HEAD SHOT!

6. ck says:

During the BBC report on this event, it was revealed that the insurance company has stated: Despite the circumstances of this accident – it was “an act of God”.

7. He Who Doubts says:

The best part is, if the lightning strike and subsequent bond fire were an ‘act of God’, it would mean that God was responsible for his own destruction. Doesn’t that equate with suicide, a sinful act? Lol

8. Not so hairless Ape says:

Another bit of … well technically it’s not irony but you get what I mean.

The sign for the Hustler store across the freeway suffered no damage during the same storm.