Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning

Published June 15th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

touchdown

Ohio’s giant Touchdown Jesus statue was hit by lightning and burned to the ground last night.

A six-story-tall statue of Jesus Christ with his arms raised along a highway was struck by lightning in a thunderstorm Monday night and burned to the ground, police said.

The sculpture, 62 feet tall and 40 feet wide at the base, showed Jesus from the torso up and was nicknamed Touchdown Jesus because of the way his arms were raised, as though reaching out to catch a football. It was made of plastic foam and fiberglass over a steel frame, which is all that remained early Tuesday.

More from CSMonitor

Here it is, burning:

Google tells me that many Jesus statues have been struck down by lightning.  As far as I know there have been no FSM statues destroyed.

67 Responses to “Giant Jesus statue hit by lightning”

1 2 3 5
  1. Bigslicka says:

Oh the irony. FYI, they plan on building another one just like it. IN THE SAME PLACE. Now THAT is comedy.

2. David Clark says:

Jesus was torched by His Noodly appendage.

3. lilwench says:

he is razed!

4. Skitz says:

I was in that church once upon a time for a wedding. A lesser known fact about it is the ceiling of its chapel is adorned with a HUGE outline of a dove made with neon christmas lights. Talk about funding wasted. The Big Butter Jesus (a local nomer for the big guy) is estimated at around $300,000. That is a lot of money for a lot of nothing. Ohio isn’t the worst off state for poverty but we have our spots. I know a little bit of that could go a long way to helping them, but instead they are going to REBUILD the now-Terminator Jesus. Way to show Christian charity, you folks at Solid Rock.

5. Walt says:

At least Touchdown Jesus finally caught that long awaited Hail Mary. I thought the post touchdown celebration was a bit excessive though.

Fact: Heat just makes the FSM more delicious.

6. Pirate Esmond says:

There are only two possible explanations.
    1. This could only be caused by jehovah god and has nothing to do with the fact that two metal arms may act as a lightening rod. He is punishing his people for building a statue (Commandment #2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image…”).
    2. This is the job of the rival god allah. He does get a little violent sometimes.

RAmen

• Thomas L. Nielsen says:

“This is the job of the rival god allah.”

As posted elsewhere, I’m leaning towards Thor as the prime suspect.

Regards & all, and Arrr….

Thomas L. Nielsen
      Editor
      The Viking Monitor, Luxembourg Office

7. Cavatelli says:

Maybe the song “Big Butter Jesus” by Haywood Banks would be fitting for a (hopefully) final farewell.

BTW, on a personal note: Many, many years ago, before leaving for college, I had to attend church with my family. The last time I attended mass, lightening hit the steeple and started a fire. I said it was an omen from god and for the safety of everyone involved, I would make the sacrifice and never again set foot in a church. It worked.

8. theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

This time they should have his arms covering his head, and a worried look on his face as he gazes upward!

1 2 3 5