Fallacy of your satire

Published June 14th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

Hello, I have purchased and read your book, The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and I would just like to share with you a constructive feedback of your book. For its objective purpose of proving the illogicality of the provincial-minded nature of those who stand in opposition to allowing the scientific theory of the Big Bang/Theory of Evolution from being taught publicly, it served its purpose well. However I would like to call to mind the hypocritical nature of the book. I believe consistency with one’s own message is important to achieve a total victory and it satirically charges Christians with creating blind assumptions. I understand the comparison of pirate decrease to global temperature increase was to further the point of the illogicality of religion, but you assumed there was a lesser amount of pirates. In fact there are more pirates now than there was in the 1700′s, the lack of the Pirates of the Caribbean-esque romanticism is the only reason this fact is not widely spread. You made an assumption which went against fact which defeated your principle of factual basis. One may argue that was the continuation of satire but that would be most likely incorrect as the faux-correlation of coincidence is the satire and not the actual analyzes as global temperature is indeed rising since the last minor ice age in the Napoleonic Era.

Furthermore it appears you attack religion as a whole entity as illogical and we’d be better off it was nonexistent as the end of the book turns into repetitive bashing, This is the same mindset as the illogical fundamentalists whom do not hear the logic of scientific theory who completely disregard science as it is alien to their beliefs. Religion is extremely important in its influence in sociology as it combats the modern mainstream schools of thought such as widespread apathy, post-modernism and rampant sensationalism. It teaches values of selflessness and charity opposing the media advocacy of self-service which even in an evolutionary sense is not nature as we are social animals which rely upon societal advancement, not just the advancement of self. Religion plays a large role in academic studies as well, I’m sure you’re aware that one of the theorists of the Big Bang Theory was a Catholic priest. To the (logically) theistic, the belief in God does not interact with evolution or creation as God is a theory pertaining to spiritual well being while evolution pertains to physical creation. Religion (or belief in God) does not isolate one from logic, rather the fallacy assuming that because one is religious they must abandon reason. I think if you had pulled back on the senseless bashing of theists and made it rather a criticism of the solely illogical due to their ignoring of blatant scientific evidence even the Pope would have agreed with you. Book such as the one of your own writing are dangerous as human beings tend to take the extremity of each end, by the extensive mockery of the religious you isolate them while creating a malicious current in atheists against theists, which is academically wrong as scholarly debate should be through procedure of logic but your book goes from such to foolery. Such anti-God contempt creates social hysteria making people, for example, atheistic in assumption of its logic while in fact they have little intelligence to even contemplate the bane of their existence.This correlates with the thesis of The Prince as one should be firm in their own beliefs and adhered to logic but they can also not crush the other side as that creates blatant opposition for the sake of opposition rather than following a conventional and more satisfying procedure of scholarly victory.

I hope your book has accomplished your objective and enlightens the close-minded Kansas Board of Education.

Maroun Shami

This is the type of email I like to receive.  I don’t agree with a lot of what Maroun is saying but I have a lot of respect for him voicing his criticism.  –bobby

226 Responses to “Fallacy of your satire”

1. Eric says:

Atsap Revol says:
    September 29, 2010 at 9:18 PM

“Dear Eric,

Thank you for not debating who is WRITE or WRONG [sic]. You mentioned two subjects; were you referring to Orville and Wilbur WRIGHT? Of course I may not be WRITE about the WRIGHTS. I could be WRONG about the WRIGHTS.”

Awesome, you know nothing of the topic so you pick one word used out of context and run with it. Your so cleaver, because on all the pages on the net, your the first to come up with that, and to derail a subject for your lack of knowledge…Gold Star for you son!

Anyways since you are obviously unwilling, probably more incapable of adding thing anything intelligent to this
    conversation, and I do not believe I could get you to have an open mind (even with a scalpel) I’m going to let you get back to your Mac.

• Atsap Revol says:

Dearest Eric,

If you were writing for shit, you wouldn’t get a smell. I could have been critical of your absurd logic, but your poor use of spelling and grammar presented such a lovely target I couldn’t resist. See Alchemist (below) for a fuller exposition of your illiteracy.

Thank you for recognizing how CLEAVER [sic] I am.

Love and kisses,
      Atsap

2. Alchemist says:

“Awesome, [a semi-colon would be better]you know nothing of the topic[take a breath] so you pick [on?] one word[that is] used out of context and run with it. Your[you are or you're] so cleaver [you're so sharp], because on all [of! For fuck's sake - is it so hard?] the pages on the net, your [I'm getting bored] the first to come up with that, and to derail a subject for your[big fat elephant's fanny] lack of knowledge…Gold Star for you [comma]son!
    Anyways [give over] since you are obviously unwilling, probably more incapable of adding thing[thing? what thing?] anything intelligent to this
    conversation, and I do not believe I could get you to have an open mind (even with a scalpel) I’m going to let you get back to your[aaaaaaargh!] Mac.”
    I put a few suggestion in square (things with 90 degree angles) brackets. I hope you’RE ok with that?
    Like I give a shit :D

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

//Dear Jesus and Mohammed – how the fuck can you be critical when you’ve got the IQ of a stoned Wombat and the grammar of a dazed Llama?//

ROTFLMFAO!!!

I hope you don’t mind, but I am totally stealing that!

• Al Dente says:

“the IQ of a stoned Wombat and the grammar of a dazed Llama”

Holy Schnike, that’s funny right there.

Past Prego,

Al

• Al Dente says:

Oops. I meant Pasta Prego. My secretary made a mistake and I’m sorry I did it;D

3. theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

“Religion is extremely important in its influence in sociology as it combats the modern mainstream schools of thought such as widespread apathy..”

So true! Nothing apathetic about suicide bombers!

• B. says:

I know I shouldn’t have listened when my high school teacher started talking about apathy… but it seemed so tempting. And suddenly I was in an Apathy Society.

4. Lex says:

Something is really frightening about this letter from Maroun. I think this kind of criticism is no longer genuine, but pasted. Specially these lines:

“Furthermore it appears you attack religion as a whole entity as illogical and we’d be better off it was nonexistent as the end of the book turns into repetitive bashing, This is the same mindset as the illogical fundamentalists whom do not hear the logic of scientific theory who completely disregard science as it is alien to their beliefs.”

I’ve seen them almost unchanged at least 3 times before in the hatemail tab. The rest of the gibberish varying wildly depending on the author of the letter in question, from “you’re nonsensical too” to “s**k my d**k”.
    You know what? We need to find the source of these lines… It’s like a creationist arguing on youtube, they just copy-paste from the source. Every single time there is ONE source that a large group of creationists use to feed their arguments.

When people on YT started to dismantle AiG’s illogical claims one by one, many xtians opted for agnosticism or at least common sense, plus the flood of votebots (and other dishonest practices) receded for almost two months.
    If any pastafarian had enough free time and were bold enough to do it, we may find the source of this claim, debunk it, then paste our results right next to the open letter.

In the end we may save ourselves much time and do much more good by doing this instead of replying to every individual theist that comes out with a large target painted to his / her chest. The people that wrote the first critic (The place from which the theists are copying) will likely say that Maroun is a martyr to the cause, for example; thus taking our facepalms to the next level. In fact is already happening, as many other letters in the hatemail tab may suggest.

Please share your thoughts on this matter. I’m not a native-speaker so I’m not quite sure if i conveyed the message i was trying to transmit.

• Keith says:

Hmm. Definitely some food for thought there. It is too easy these days to spam a site with bullshit from a single source.
      I just googled a slab of this and had two hits, both directing to this hate mail. Doesn’t look as though it appears anywhere else but it is quite possible that some crank has developed proformas for people to cut and paste to this site.

• Paul says:

Maroun just counted the wrong type of pirate. He needs to accept the FSM as his savior – then it will all be OK

5. pastaALLnightANDpastaALLday says:

wheres all love the my fellow pastafari?

6. DevoutPastafarian says:

My main problem is your pirate comment. If you attentively read The Gospel, you would see that the meaning of the word “Pirate” is commonly misunderstood. The FSM’s Chosen People defined by their–to use your own words– “Pirates of the Carribbean-esqe romanticism”. They were actually quite benevolent, even handing out candy liberally. Their main distinction from random civilians was their steryotipical Pirate garb and love of sailing.

7. Paul says:

FINALLY! a hate mail that is actually INTELLIGENT SOUNDING instead of “Jesus hates you cuz you hate Jesus and god and the Pope and Brian from Monty Python are all plotting your downfall for insulting religion”.

but i totally disagree. People can get morals from somewhere other than a book or religion. If we are really social, community-based animals, then our community would teach us values. Mine does. Or our parents, or the law, etc.

8. jakob says:

Wonderful comment from Maroun Shami. Clear arguments like limpid streams, refreshing.