I don’t know if you realize just how offensive this is

Published April 19th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I don’t know if you realize just how offensive this letter is. Obviously, it’s satirical and some may think “clever,” but mockery is never wise.

-Carly

570 Responses to “I don’t know if you realize just how offensive this is”

1 38 39 40 41 42 52
  1. Evidence of Cells being made from inorganic things says:

• Keith says:

That’s going to wreck a few fantasies about omnipotence.

2. Elizabeth says:

Dear Carly,

So, atheists are selfish, as you had said. And we only live for ourselves. I, as an atheist, does not “only live for myself.” I don’t mean to brag, but I’m trying to prove a point- I work at food banks, I re-cycle etc. and so do a lot of atheists I know. Is that only living for myself? Don’t get me wrong, I know Christians who do the same. I’m not putting Christians down, I’m criticizing you! And keep in mind; we do these things thinking we will get no re-ward in the after life, because we are atheists. Again, I’m not saying Christians only take part in helping others etc. to get an ensured passage into heaven but it seems you, Carly, do with all this talk about getting into heaven. “You atheists are screwed.” Would you still respect God if the bible said death was forever blackness? Also, I do live by the standards of beings higher than myself. My parents, my elders, my teachers. I respect and love them, and very much so follow by their rules. And I do have something to live for. I live for putting my existence into good use by helping others, I live for my parents, my family, my friends, for my future children. I do not believe in God because I simply cannot. It is not in my heart and I will follow nothing if I do not feel it in my heart. You have some good points. Where did the first cell come from etc. But than I could say, where did God come from? I put the time I could be praying to someone who I do not think exists into helping others and respecting what I think is my God you could say- Mother Nature. If you believe in God, I respect that you go to church etc. I applaud that you would put in the time and heart into something you believe in. Much like I do and other atheists, Jews, Christians, Hindus.

I truly think you are the one being selfish, M’am. For calling others, like atheists, selfish they, by putting down their beliefs and not truly understanding their morals before opening you’re mouth.

Still, I truly wish you the best in the life. Good day. :)

• Wench Melody (UK) says:

Well said, Elizabeth – there is hope for the future if there are young people like you in it! Pesto be upon you! – M x x x

• Ari says:

So christians believe that their god created the entire universe just for them, made them in his image, picked them as his chosen people, forgives all their sins, gave them the world and all animals for their own to do with as they want… and they call atheists selfish?

• Nadine says:

I think that if heaven does excist, there will be a place for me there.
        I try do be a good person, hold doors, be friendly, help people who need it, and I do all this without a book telling me I have to.
        Without a God saying that if I don’t, I will be doomed, send to hell or whatever.
        If you need a book with instructions and the thought of doom hanging over your head, to make you act as a good person, that’s just sad…

I have not discovered anything insulting to other religions on this site so I don’t really understand all the hatemail, is everybody reading the same thing as I am or am I misreading it? English is not my native language but I always believed I was pretty good at it…

Love this site! Love the meaning of it!

Greetings from Amsterdam

• Wench Melody (UK) says:

Nadine, you have grasped the whole FSM ethos beautifully – and your english is very good – well done on both counts!

I think the reason some people take such offence at this site is that, although it does not directly insult other religions, pastafarianism holds up a mirror to others, allows (forces?) them to see their own absurdities, and so makes them uncomfortable. It’s like the old ‘guilt’ pseudo-reasoning sequence – (I did something bad to you, therefore when I see you I feel guilty, therefore you make me feel guilty, which makes me feel bad, therefore it’s your fault I feel bad, therefore you are a bad person …) We make them see how absurd their beliefs are, which makes them feel uncomfortable, so it’s our fault, so they attack us.

That’s how it seems to me, anyway. Does that make sense to anyone else, please?

Pesto be upon you all.

M X

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Oddly enough, I received a letter from an old friend who just recently discovered I was an atheist, and asked why I “despised” her and her husband because of their beliefs. Is to disagree to despise? In that case I’d be hating 80% of the world or more, and she’d be hating the non-Christian majority.

Some think that to not embrace their beliefs is to attack it. Remember: Millions = respected religion. Thousands = tolerated sect. Dozens = kooky cult. One = insanity.

• B. says:

I guess if you’ve been raised thinking that your opinions and your belief is the center of the universe and that the universe was basically created for you, you are bound to get arrogant. And everyone believing in something outside this blessed zone is going against the laws of nature by not accepting this “ascension” of yours.

Wendy – that might be true. I think it seems like a lot of Christians, at least in primarily Christian nations, have not ever met anyone questioning their beliefs. Or at least not anyone brave enough to speak open about it. So when faced with a whole new world of reality and logic, they feel their whole world crumble…

3. Molly says:

I don’t think you relize how offensive THIS is

4. RobinsonGirl says:

Oh look, another way for Christians to press their beliefs on us.

Oh look, another gay to send to hell!

Oh look, another Atheist to declare that he or she doesn’t have anything to believe in!

I, as an Atheist, have a lot of things to believe in, thanks.

I believe in helping others, and spending time making the world a better place when instead of praying for something that might not exist. I believe in loving my family, Gay-Rights, Straight-Rights, Female-Rights, Male-Rights… I believe in Rights and I fight for every single right there is. I don’t actually believe that all Christians think Gay’s are going to hell. Some do, and some Atheists are cruel too. It’s just if you’re going to say something like what you said, I’m going to say something equally as ridiculous too.

Don’t you dare say to people you don’t even know that they can’t handle believing or worshiping in something and that pretty much, they’re lazy. How dare you hint we might burn in hell for eternity because we don’t believe in what you believe in.

I truly think you don’t realize how offensive THIS is, like the person said above.

I agree with the two posts above very much and disagree strongly with you.

You’re not a true Christian in my opinion.

And by the way, what’s “smart” is to believe in what you’re heart wants, like the person said above. NOT what get you the best ticket to a heaven.

I’m sorry if this was offensive to anybody, but I think it’s the truth and I’m not going to say anything different.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

My question is…. Is it possible to be a “true” Christian if your entire organization is based on lies?

5. Ted says:

Wow your gonna be really upset when you die and there is nothing. Provided you have a conciousness that is.

6. Jen says:

“…you may be forgetting one minor detail: care to explain how the first cell appeared? ”

Theory of abiogenesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis, http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/abioprob.html)

Sorry Pastafarians, this theory can be used against both with you AND Carly.

7. Kurt says:

Why do Christians believe everyone else lives a life not worth living, but they do?

I REALLY don’t get it.

• Ari says:

It’s called arrogance.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

But their lives ARE so much more worthwhile. Just ask a Christian – they’ll tell you how much better they are!

8. Kurt says:

Answering as an Atheist:

No, I don’t think YOU realise how offencive you are.

“I’ve never been able to understand why it is that those who call themselves “atheist,” “agnostic,” or whatever other label they wish can’t see that, in all reality, intelligent design (or rather a relationship with Christ) is the more intelligent route. If we (Christians) are wrong, then who cares? Nothing will happen to us because there is no after life, no higher power, no second death, but at least we lived a life worthy of something. We had something to look forward to, and hey, if it isn’t true then we’ll never know cause we’ll be DEAD. On the other hand, if Christians are right, those self-proclaimed atheists (etc) are pretty much screwed. What did you live for? Advancement of human life? By what? Living for yourself; living according to your own standards. In my opinion, your religion (yes, atheism is a religion) is selfish and irresponsible. The only reason you don’t want to admit that there may just be a higher power is because you don’t want to answer to it. You don’t want to have to change your lifestyle; to live according to HIS standards.”

Have you read the Bible? It suggests the condoning of rape, definately condones slavery, etc etc etc
    Why should I live to a dictators standards?
    If Christians are right, I wouldn’t be on God’s side anyway.
    I’m not selfish, but you are. You’ve stated you follow God, so that if he does exist you wont be in trouble when you die. THAT is selfishness.
    You don’t know what irrisponsible is then. You have no responsibility because you believe a false god will deal with you once dead, having nothing to worry about so long as you repent your sins? Whereas I am who I am, and I am answerable to myself and society.

“I’m so sorry that you feel this way. I pray for people like you each and every night. I pray that God will hit you over the head with some sense and knock you to your knees.”

I hope God, if he exists, does the same to you. People like you deserve to be his bitch for all eternity.

“And FYI: Intelligent design has just as much (if not more) merit as the evolutionary theory. Evolution is a theory: it hasn’t been proven. There may seem to be evidence, but you may be forgetting one minor detail: care to explain how the first cell appeared? Where it all began? Good luck because, unfortunately for you, even if there isn’t “overwhelming evidence” that there is a God, we Christians will have lived a fuller life knowing and believing that we have been saved by the power of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross. We are loved far greater than we can comprehend. And guess what, so are you. God loves you, even if you don’t know that yet.”

Evolution HAS been proven.
    The first cell is explainable too.

How have you lived a fuller life? Because Jesus has already been punished for your sins so you’re irrisponsible?
    God doesn’t love me; because if he exists, I fight under Lucifer’s banner for the freedom of Man and the Angels.

• Armin says:

We are all children of this world, not knowing who’s child this world is.
      If there is a being, that created the world which we may call God it is
      futile, to try and fight it in the name of freedom of whatever being.
      If we have a means to fight, then because freedom was already granted to us.
      If Lucifer is the biggest of angels, and angles are stronger than humans,
      how can human theologist believe to understand his reasoning or that of God?

Maybe God loves all it’s creation including Lucifer and Lucifer, being the
      biggest of angels just tries to bring some diversion into eternity. I’m just
      a human, so I don’t really know.

So if there is really something to fight for, try and be creative
      with the means you have. Bring some fun into the lives of those
      who know you ;-)

I’m on diet, so the pasta isn’t with me at the moment…
      Anyhow, enjoy some noodly appendages personally meant for you!

E Pesto!!!