I don’t know if you realize just how offensive this is

Published April 19th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I don’t know if you realize just how offensive this letter is. Obviously, it’s satirical and some may think “clever,” but mockery is never wise.

I’ve never been able to understand why it is that those who call themselves “atheist,” “agnostic,” or whatever other label they wish can’t see that, in all reality, intelligent design (or rather a relationship with Christ) is the more intelligent route. If we (Christians) are wrong, then who cares? Nothing will happen to us because there is no after life, no higher power, no second death, but at least we lived a life worthy of something. We had something to look forward to, and hey, if it isn’t true then we’ll never know cause we’ll be DEAD. On the other hand, if Christians are right, those self-proclaimed atheists (etc) are pretty much screwed. What did you live for? Advancement of human life? By what? Living for yourself; living according to your own standards. In my opinion, your religion (yes, atheism is a religion) is selfish and irresponsible. The only reason you don’t want to admit that there may just be a higher power is because you don’t want to answer to it. You don’t want to have to change your lifestyle; to live according to HIS standards.

I’m so sorry that you feel this way. I pray for people like you each and every night. I pray that God will hit you over the head with some sense and knock you to your knees.

And FYI: Intelligent design has just as much (if not more) merit as the evolutionary theory. Evolution is a theory: it hasn’t been proven. There may seem to be evidence, but you may be forgetting one minor detail: care to explain how the first cell appeared? Where it all began? Good luck because, unfortunately for you, even if there isn’t “overwhelming evidence” that there is a God, we Christians will have lived a fuller life knowing and believing that we have been saved by the power of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross. We are loved far greater than we can comprehend. And guess what, so are you. God loves you, even if you don’t know that yet.

-Carly

568 Responses to “I don’t know if you realize just how offensive this is”

1. detcade says:

“And FYI: Intelligent design has just as much (if not more) merit as the evolutionary theory. Evolution is a theory: it hasn’t been proven. There may seem to be evidence, but you may be forgetting one minor detail: care to explain how the first cell appeared?”

Okay at this point I stopped doubting that this one is a troll.

2. Carl says:

Wow, Pascal’s wager. Stated as if Carly just thought of it herself.

You’re an atheist, too, you know, Carly. You disbelieve in Shiva, Amaterasu, Ahura Mazda, and thousands of other gods. I just disbelieve in one more than you.

3. Xtylish says:

Once again, atheism is not a religion. Calling it a religion is like calling baldness a hair style, or perfect health a disease. I know you REALLY want to bring atheism into the religion category so it can seem as dumb as your actual religion and therefore you can criticise is even a BIT like we do it with your religion, but it’s simply impossible and you fail.

Though you got it perfectly right. Yes, we do live our own lives… I know you probably have a huge problem with that seeing as you’re utterly deprived to do things you actually WANT to do, but trying to make it out that such a thing is an advantage over us… get real. You pray to us because you have pity but it’s really us who pity you, sitting there ashamed and thinking you’ve sinned every time you masturbate, condemning others for not living and thinking the way you.

4. Xtylish says:

pray for us*

5. Rurounizakku says:

Wow, you really must not know anything about Evolution if you don’t think it has more merit than ID. The evolutionary theory is still being proved today, but it has a lot more evidence, and scientific backing than ID does. I’m happy that you pray for others, but Pastafarians, atheists, etc. usually just don’t care about god. It isn’t that we don’t, or can’t live to your god’s standards, we just live to the FSM’s standards. If we die, oh well, there is no second life, but suppose that Pastafarianism is true then all of us Pastafarians will go to Heaven with our beer fountains. Good day!

6. Shelldigger says:

Oh boy! Pascals wager and the “evoulution is only a theory” schtick. Bravo. We have never heard that line of non reasoning before. /end snark

Please x-tians do not pray for me. If you want to do something for me…get the facts, learn something. Time better spent.

7. Torrie says:

this is funny. pasquel’s wager. it just dumbs down humans. i am so glad after half my life is gone, that i got smart. now i don’t have to waste the other half being scared of a big old bad god. if there is a god, he does a shitty job of everything. but, of course, we know the universe is random chance. that’s what we know so far, anyway. these christians are so into punishment. it is a serious mental illness of mankind. study atheism. become atheist. be free and human. stop the mental illness of religion. all religions cannot be right, but they can all be wrong. by the way, carly, you are an atheist like me. i just believe in one less god than you do.

8. StJason says:

I love this x-tian fallacy. And it is among the strawiest of straw men, too.

Carly… Are you aware that you are arguing that your wise, all-knowing, and benevolent God would choose a mass-murdering genocidal freak who believed in Jesus over someone who worked for the… how did you put it? “Advancement of human life”. Seriously? You honestly think that what you do has no relevance to anything, so long as you beg every Sunday (in an approved church, of course. Can’t have those scumbags from the other sect coming into heaven now!). Frankly, I’m not sure I’d want to deal with a god who would choose a penitant do-nothing Christian over a hardworking nurse who is Atheist.

And, can we drop the whole ‘theory’ argument? From the way that you actually put together a cognizant (if rhetorically moronic) letter, I will assume that you know what the word ‘theory’ actually means, not how it is commonly used. Next you’ll be saying that if I stub my toe on a curb and say ‘God damn it!” that I’m actually calling upon the almighty to damn all curbs, and not just shooting out an oath because my toe hurts.