I don’t know if you realize just how offensive this is

Published April 19th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

I don’t know if you realize just how offensive this letter is. Obviously, it’s satirical and some may think “clever,” but mockery is never wise.

I’ve never been able to understand why it is that those who call themselves “atheist,” “agnostic,” or whatever other label they wish can’t see that, in all reality, intelligent design (or rather a relationship with Christ) is the more intelligent route. If we (Christians) are wrong, then who cares? Nothing will happen to us because there is no after life, no higher power, no second death, but at least we lived a life worthy of something. We had something to look forward to, and hey, if it isn’t true then we’ll never know cause we’ll be DEAD. On the other hand, if Christians are right, those self-proclaimed atheists (etc) are pretty much screwed. What did you live for? Advancement of human life? By what? Living for yourself; living according to your own standards. In my opinion, your religion (yes, atheism is a religion) is selfish and irresponsible. The only reason you don’t want to admit that there may just be a higher power is because you don’t want to answer to it. You don’t want to have to change your lifestyle; to live according to HIS standards.

I’m so sorry that you feel this way. I pray for people like you each and every night. I pray that God will hit you over the head with some sense and knock you to your knees.

And FYI: Intelligent design has just as much (if not more) merit as the evolutionary theory. Evolution is a theory: it hasn’t been proven. There may seem to be evidence, but you may be forgetting one minor detail: care to explain how the first cell appeared? Where it all began? Good luck because, unfortunately for you, even if there isn’t “overwhelming evidence” that there is a God, we Christians will have lived a fuller life knowing and believing that we have been saved by the power of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross. We are loved far greater than we can comprehend. And guess what, so are you. God loves you, even if you don’t know that yet.

-Carly

569 Responses to “I don’t know if you realize just how offensive this is”

1 2 3 52
  1. Uthor says:

Carly, perhaps you should reflect upon how offensive your letter is?

You may know and believe that you have been saved by the power of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross, but billions of other people around the world don’t. And why is that? Is there some logical explanation? No, in all likelihood theye are non-Christian by pure accident of birth – by reason of having been born to parents who follow Islam, or Hinduism, or Judaism or Buddishm or one of the numerous brands of religious belief that exist.

Why are you a Christian Carly? Was it a concious decision on your part? Did you convert or were you simply born to Christian parents in a Christian country? Have you studied, say, Islam or Hinduism and, if not, what gives you the right or moral authority to say that they are wrong and you are right?

More importantly, what gives you the right to attack Pastafarians? Please explain why it is any more likely that their is truth to the belief system that you were born into by accident as opposed to Pastafarianism.

I always thought that the Jesus character in the Bible story preached tolerance and respect for others, which leaves me slighlty puzzled why you – an accidental follower of his, cannot do the same. If you want to follow ID that is fine by me. All I ask of you is that you do it in the privacy of your own home or church or restrict your activities to handing out flyers in the local mall rather than seeking to impose it upon others through a state funded education system.

By the way, I love your approach to Christianity, which you appear to see as a kind of eternal insurance policy – paying the premiums of prayer in the hope that you are backing the right belief system and working your ticket to a pleasant afterlife.

2. Keith says:

I was thinking of replying to the bizarre statements in this mail but I cannot type properly when I am spewing

3. gimmethegepgun says:

Disregarding the blatant falsehood paragraph at the end, there IS reason not to believe: the beliefs we, as a society, hold affect our actions. If people are more concerned about their “life after death” than what happens to society or the planet, then said things go down the shitter. When we realize that the only “life” we have after death is the legacy we leave behind, that makes it even more compelling to leave a legacy worth remembering.

Okay, honestly, I can’t just ignore that last pathetic excuse for a paragraph. Here’s the list:

No, ID has no merit whatsoever, seeing as it has absolutely no supporting evidence.
    Gravity is just a theory, so are you saying that we should all be flinging off into space from the Earth’s rotation?
    That’s abiogenesis, not evolution, but there are some good theories as to how it started, and may be a combination of those theories, and proto-cells have been formed in laboratories under the conditions Earth would’ve been under back then.
    Rest of the paragraph: “Blah, blah, blah”

However, congratulations are in order in that I can’t find any spelling/grammar problems, unless you count that technically Intelligent Design is supposed to be capitalized, being a “proper” noun. Regardless of its pathetic state among anything scientific.

• Gabe says:

“When we realize that the only “life” we have after death is the legacy we leave behind, that makes it even more compelling to leave a legacy worth remembering.”

That is one of the most profound statements I’ve heard about existence ever. Thankyou.

• Kakistos says:

very much in agreement. that was awesome word-smithing my friend.

4. Ron says:

What a fool. Pascal’s Wager? Honestly? This is 2010, for goodness sake. The internet is loaded with refutations of this kind of tripe.
    The rest of the condescending crap Carly spouts is simply insulting? Does she really think I’m living in fear of something I don’t even believe in? Or that I could somehow suddenly just make myself believe in Christ by force of will. What a fool.

The only good thing in the whole letter is where she openly admits that Intelligent Design is simply a form of Christianity. Nice to see a little honesty from an IDiot.

I am SO glad I decided to devote myself to His Noodly embrace! Unlike Carly’s bulshit, that’s a RATIONAL decision!

5. D2K says:

OMG there is really someone who believe in creationism??! Even here in Italy (you know we have the Pope here…) everybody knows that’s a “children story” like Adam and Eve. If you go to a church and ask to a priest he tells you that…
    See you in another life brother.
    D.

• Simon says:

Yeah, in the US, especially in the bible belt, that’s a pretty popular idea. Over here in Quebec, no priest would even dare to suggest it.

6. PirateOnPtree says:

If your god exists, then I’m certain he appreciates that I lived my life like I wanted to live it and appreciated it for what I thought to be the full value.

7. Jochem Atteveld says:

Wow, Pascal’s wager and “evolution is just a theory” in one letter, and yet somehow she has the brain capacity to spell properly.

8. Alex says:

Gravity, Electromagnetism and many other scientific things are also called ‘Theories’. The Scientific Term for theory and the common use of the term have an unfortunate disconnect. What you describe as ‘theory’ is actually closer to what should be called ‘hypothesis’.

Theory is deductive reasoning which provides a unified and disprovable explanation for observed phenomena. A hypothesis is a reasonable guess at the cause of a phenomenon, which can be then tested by experiment or observation.

I should note that the genesis of life is not something covered by evolutionary theory. To quote an excellent wikipedia article on the topic:

“Abiogenesis, or biopoesis, is the theory of how life on Earth could have arisen from inanimate matter. It should not be confused with evolution, which is the study of how groups of already living things change over time, or with cosmogony, which covers how the universe might have arisen.”

On a personal note, I’m fine with human behaviour, including religion, until it leads people to behave in ways that are unwanted and harmful to those around them. Fortunately, however, I think people are reasonably good at avoiding stepping on each others toes too often.

1 2 3 52