USC Pastafarians counter-protest of Westboro Baptist Church demonstration

Published March 26th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

The Univeristy of South Carolina Pastafarians organized a successful counter-protest of the hate group Westboro Baptist Church’s demonstration at the South Carolina State House on Tuesday.

We’ve mentioned (and counter-protested) Westboro Baptist Church before; they’re an extremist Christian sect best known for their godhatesfags website (alluding to a Leviticus verse taken out of context) and protests of American soldiers funerals. They tour around the country spreading their message of intolerance, generally to the disgust of onlookers. It’s unclear what exactly they were trying to accomplish in SC.

Here is a picture of some Westboro demonstrators, so you can get an idea of what they’re about:

One more:

If anything good has happened as a result of these hateful small-minded people it’s that the tolerant nonsecular community has so often come together in response. The USC Pastafarians did an amazing job of staging this counter-protest of the Westboro crew.

Here are some pictures:

I think I spot a pirate. Crowd was estimated to be in the hundreds.

Amusing signs are something of a tradition in these counter-protests.

It’s true, Leviticus outlines a variety of stuff God hates. Shrimp is on the list. I think some of these are speculation (but that’s fair game in religion).

I’m told this gentleman was wearing very short shorts, for the cause.

This one took me a while.

Thomas Jefferson would have approved of this, I am confident.

I’m with God. Jenga sucks.

So many people. You can really feel the love in the air.

Pastafarians love everyone …

Even (especially) gay robots

Nice work, guys.

Gay robot love.

Pastafarians are longtime supporters of Gay Robot Rights

You guys did an amazing job and I wish I could have seen the show.

More pictures, videos, information regarding this event:

USC Pastafarians website

Facebook event page with pictures, video, etc

USC Pastafarian counter-protest event press release

Local WOLO News video coverageThere was a clash of ideals on the State House grounds Tuesday. The radical Westboro Baptist Church of Kansas came to Columbia. The group is known for protesting at soldiers’ funerals and spreading a message of hate against homosexuals and Jews. But dozens of counter-protestors outnumbered Westboro Baptist fifty to one.

MidlandsConnect local News video coverage

A final note

I want to point out that the majority of the counter-protesters were non-secular, as is often the case. It is a disturbing reality that the conservative members of a religion are often silent in response to the extremist members. This more than anything is the big evil hanging around organized religion. It’s true that most members of any religion are good people; it’s also true that those good people often remain silent when nutjob members do crazy shit.

I don’t know the solution, but I have to believe that these types of counter-protests are a step in the right direction.

Awesome work, guys.

Update 3/30/10

Dead Marine’s father ordered to pay protesters’ legal costs.

The father of a Marine whose funeral was picketed by the Westboro Baptist Church says an order to pay the protesters’ legal costs in a civil claim is nothing less than a “slap in the face.”

“By the court making this decision, they’re not only telling me that they’re taking their side, but I have to pay them money to do this to more soldiers and their families,” said Albert Snyder, whose son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, was killed in action in Iraq in 2006.

Members of the fundamentalist church based in Topeka, Kansas, appeared outside Snyder’s funeral in 2006 in Westminster, Maryland, carrying signs reading “You’re going to hell,” “God hates you” and “Thank God for dead soldiers.”

Among the teachings of the church, which was founded in 1955 by pastor Fred Phelps, is the belief that God is punishing the United States for “the sin of homosexuality” through events such as soldiers’ deaths.

More at CNN

132 Responses to “USC Pastafarians counter-protest of Westboro Baptist Church demonstration”

1. Wilford Cough says:

I like this established much, this is the clear up where i can rise smth from me, a look after of notification this is what i like.

• Keith says:

I like this not, since I cannot understand what you have written.

2. drupal website developers says:

It is now and again perplexing to just continually be giving out hints that other people could have been trying to sell..

3. ichsan-foundation says:

I want to express my appreciation to you for rescuing me from this particular incident. After surfing through the the net and obtaining tricks which were not pleasant, I figured my life was gone. Existing devoid of the solutions to the issues you have sorted out as a result of your good guideline is a critical case, and ones which might have negatively damaged my career if I had not noticed the website. Your own competence and kindness in maneuvering all the details was excellent. I am not sure what I would have done if I hadn’t encountered such a solution like this. I can at this time look forward to my future. Thanks a lot so much for this expert and effective guide. I won’t hesitate to suggest your web blog to anybody who needs to have support about this topic.

4. Lashawnda Bokanovich says:

I am very grateful to one of my clients for telling me about this site, and the availability of this inspiration and these resources. I have been on the spiritual path for many years, and now help others on the path. I am delighted to have a way to connect with others who are new to the journey, but also delighted to have the wisdom available to me of others further along on the path. Thank you for making this available to us.

5. nun sequitur says:

lol??????

of that church protest, i c one woman & a child…the woman is juggling 4 signs or so & WHAT church wants 2 c dead people??

if anything is going 2 drive more people towards atheism, it is this sole protestor…

6. Olio says:

How can god be punishing the united states through the death of soldiers because of homosexuality when this is not limited to the united states anyway and there are soldiers whom are happening to fit in this category whom I have met and were not killed in action either. Does god approve of this everywhere else on the planet, everywhere but the usa? Are soldiers killed fighting for other countries being punished along with their country for different sins and if so am curious as to what these might be? Calling soccer ‘football’ , maybe? Please.

• Keith says:

Well.since “soccer” is a colloquial term for “association football” (albeit a bastardised one), the greater sin in my eyes is using the term “soccer”. Football is supposedly a game where people use their feet to kick the ball and not each other. It annoys me that in Australia the national tin god is known as “Australian Rules Football”. They spend half the time running with it in their hands. Yes, I am a pedant and a cultural snob when it comes to some things.

• Olio says:

Learn something new occasionally, I do. I would prefer to read about this rather than the protests for described reasons. Tell me more about foot ball or anything else but the picketing of a soldiers funeral because of religious ideology. Any thoughts on soccer hooligans? Or football I meant.

7. King Ravie says:

that kid looks like he doesnt like being on the wrong side.. this looks soooo damn fun though! i would love to do anything that opposes westboro. from throwing a milkshake out of a car window to a peaceful protest! my only question though. who gives a robot sexual organs???

• Pete Byrdie says:

I would sooo give a robot sexual organs. Why? I’ll let you think on that, but Westboro wouldn’t approve.

Also, I like the movie Signs.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Westboro – the stupid, arrogant assholes – wouldn’t approve of *God* giving *humans* sexual organs.

• Keith says:

They’d probably condescend to agreeing on their god renting them out for reproductive purposes. Musn’t look, musn’t touch: just quickly in and out, wash and disinfect then hand them back.

• Keith says:

” my only question though. who gives a robot sexual organs???”

The Japanese.

8. Apprentice Frederic says:

Noticed that Fred Phelps passed on into that portion of the Vale of Vermicelli where stale beer and strippers with STD’s are part of eternity’s entertainment. The only issue is: should we give Fred a sendoff like the ones he has orchestrated, or would it be better to demonstrate Pastafarian morals?

• Rev. Wulff says:

No, I think we should mourn his passing. He and his family have done more to help make acceptance and tolerance of LGBTQ Americans possible than almost everyone. By putting a face to intolerance and hatred, millions of people who were undecided on equality, and even many who were against it, saw the light and came out in favor. We have to hope the momentum carries through until we have true equality in this country.

• Cannon Chris says:

Three cheers for Fred Phelps! Remember, he also gave $9million to a soldier’s family, from the goodness of his heart.
        May he be blessed with stale beer and STD’s for eternity. Ramen.