Cult of Greed

Published March 12th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

Don't drink the Kool-Aid

Time Magazine just put up many years ago published a great article about The Church of Scientology: The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power. It’s interesting, read if you have time.

Props to Richard Behar for having the courage to write the article, and to Time for publishing it. The Church of Scientology has for a long time been giving cults a bad name.

15 Responses to “Cult of Greed”

1. GG says:

Wasn’t this story originally published in 1991?

2. Mariner says:

That article had to be written sometime in late 1988 or 1989. It’s dated for 3.10.10, but was written with references to things that only happened in the 80′s and a plan to do things in the 90′s. Good article, but it should be dated by at least 21 years, not 2 days ago.

3. tmldarkwings says:

I must say, I’d heard Scientology was pretty bad, but I never knew it was this bad. It’s brave of this guy to write this. Kudos to him. :)

4. Ron says:

Vile. Why are these people allowed to continue to operate?

5. Dave says:

The article actually is from 1991, although the content is still very much valid. It is quite regularly in the top stories and today this happened again because of it being the featured article on the homepage of wikipedia.

The New York Times did a good expose though last week about the institutionalized forced abortion, prison campe, slave labor and child workers in the world’s most destructive cult.

6. Phyvel says:

I bet they don’t have a “Hate Mail” on their website. I wonder how many of our hate-mailers come from the COS.

7. Captain Fredrich Halsbrook says:

I used this article as a key component of a report on cultist behavior way back when I was taking sociology, last I heard it was trapped online due to constant scrutinty and threats from the Scientology legal department. For those of you who haven’t read it, I highly recommend it. It’s not the kind of article you’ll want to sit down with if you’re having trouble sleeping, trust me, I made that mistake and it kept me up for days. It’s a poignant, powerful, earth shattering enlightenment of one of the most dangerous organizations ever to crawl out of the primordial sludges of gluttony.

And even though my respect for them has been waning in recent years, I must hand it Time Magazine for having the downright moral courage to publish this. Any pieces of unfavorable publicity about this cult to grace the minds of those forunate enough to find it, are always met by intense attacks and legal backstabbing. A group such as Time must have known of this, and the fact that they still went ahead with it foregoing threat of near definate lawsuit… well, pardon the vulgarity and total inelequency… but that takes balls.

Brilliant piece of reporting, in this reader’s opinion: the greatest tribute to both humanitarian enlightenment and common moral fortitude since Origin of Species by Charles Darwin.

RAmen,
    For even though it may not seem like it, this small step is a great victory in the aid of all who have been harmed by this parasite of a cultus.

8. We are Anonymous says:

And it is because of the untamed aggression of the cult of Scientology that Anonymous decided to target it. While our immediate goal for the corrupt Church of Scientology is to have their (illegal) tax exempt status rescinded, our ultimate goal is to ensure that they are unable to continue their history of fear tactics, disconnection, and other illegal behavior.

Every person has the right to believe whatever they choose, and we have people from many faiths in our ranks (including Pastafarians). We hope you’ll join us.