Cult of Greed

Published March 12th, 2010 by Bobby Henderson

Don't drink the Kool-Aid

Time Magazine just put up many years ago published a great article about The Church of Scientology: The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power. It’s interesting, read if you have time.

Props to Richard Behar for having the courage to write the article, and to Time for publishing it. The Church of Scientology has for a long time been giving cults a bad name.

15 Responses to “Cult of Greed”

1. Gatortarian says:

the St. Pete times did one recently:

2. Mike M says:

Read the wiki articles on Scientology and L.R.Hubbard. Also pretty disturbing.

3. gordon_uk says:

Though old it was very interesting and like Mike it prompted to read more on wiki, I always thought this was just a problem in the US but further reading found that they are equally as bad here in the UK and other countries.

I did find this help group for anyone worried about family members trapped by this cult called Escape http://www.escapeint.org/.

4. gothceltgirl says:

I’ve read through page 5 (long article) and all I can say is WOW! I can’t believe it’s that insidious and sinister. I kinda had a funny feeling in my gut when I first heard of Scientology, but then began to accept it more as just a new religion that maybe helps some people. I thought “live and let live” & if it helps, it doesn’t hurt right? But OMG, I don’t know what to say. It’s even worse than I feared at first.

5. Misoriented says:

Scientology is “giving cults a bad name”? In the good old days, you could keep a harem of fifty women drugged up and locked inside the compound until the FBI came and you all committed mass suicide so that your souls would travel up to the aliens’ ship. I guess Scientology has besmirched the impeccable reputation of cults to the point that you can hardly even nerve gas a subway anymore. What’s the world coming to?

6. webhat says:

I live just across the road from the Dutch HQ of the Church of Scientology in Amsterdam, and I’ve only every taken a free personality test once. They were really nice, gave me something to drink for free, and even gave me a copy of Dianetics for free.

I’m sure they are just misunderstood like us Pastafarians.

RAmen!

7. Justice says:

it was actually Flavor-Aid they poisoned believe it or not.
    RAmen