Pirate boat feedback please

Published October 15th, 2009 by Bobby Henderson
James Wharram Pahi 63

James Wharram Pahi 63

What do you guys think of something like this for the FSM voyaging church? I will tell you a few reasons it appeals to me.

It’s something we can build together.

We can start right away. We have enough money to get started and we can buy more materials as we raise more during the build process.

It’s more realistic and practical. I like 200′ Galleons as much as anyone, but I don’t see a lot of them sailing around. Pirate boats are extremely expensive to buy and maintain, and require a large trained crew to sail. If we get one, it’s going to spend much of its life being rented out to pay for itself.

Something like this is relatively cheap (hundreds of thousands vs millions), simple to sail, lots of room.

The one in the picture is ~65′, I’m not sure the upper limit on sailing catamarans.

What do you guys think? Build or buy?

99 Responses to “Pirate boat feedback please”

1. norcal pastafarian says:

Sweet – it looks like a cross between a pirate ship and a party barge! Very appropriate! Arrrr.

2. oohie says:

do not want. WE NEEDZ A MORE PIRATEY SHIP MAN!!!!!!

but i was wonderin, with this pirate ship how are all pastafarians gonna b able to get a ride?

3. supercheetah says:

Yeah, I like that! Keep it simple, for now. If we ever garner a millionaire celebrity like those ScientLOLogists, then we can go for the Galleon. However, that would require a lot more creepiness, and some book about aliens so whacked out that absolutely no one would believe.

4. kyuuketsukiou says:

I think it seems like a good idea to build something more like this, but preferred with a little more “pirateish” look to it. Like, another color. And a pirate flag. And some Pictures of his holiness ofcourse.

5. Tristan says:

Considering all the PhD’ers and engineers that are Pastafarian, I seem obvious to me we’ll have to build it ourself!
    And more stupid Pastafarians (like myself) are always willing to help building it. Or in my case, it would be saver just to carry the lumber ;)
    Next questions: were to build it? And the name? What brand of rum shall we use to baptise the boat? Who will design the official pirate costume for on board?…

6. Sencer says:

its our church, its our religion, like the “false” cathedral of notre dame for ex. our holy vessel must be remarkable

the power of faith lies in sacrifice so lets show our faith !

RAmen

7. Bam says:

the problem would be that at any given time only what? 50? on there…

size is the only problem,

where would this be erected at…i was a little confused on that part.

8. Ryan says:

BUILD BUILD BUILD!!!!!

It creates a sense of community, and will get media attention!

Don’t forget we’ll need really cool custom sails, and of course the Jolly Roger