Pirate boat feedback please

Published October 15th, 2009 by Bobby Henderson
James Wharram Pahi 63

James Wharram Pahi 63

What do you guys think of something like this for the FSM voyaging church? I will tell you a few reasons it appeals to me.

It’s something we can build together.

We can start right away. We have enough money to get started and we can buy more materials as we raise more during the build process.

It’s more realistic and practical. I like 200′ Galleons as much as anyone, but I don’t see a lot of them sailing around. Pirate boats are extremely expensive to buy and maintain, and require a large trained crew to sail. If we get one, it’s going to spend much of its life being rented out to pay for itself.

Something like this is relatively cheap (hundreds of thousands vs millions), simple to sail, lots of room.

The one in the picture is ~65′, I’m not sure the upper limit on sailing catamarans.

What do you guys think? Build or buy?

99 Responses to “Pirate boat feedback please”

1. Wendy says:

Go for it!!!

I vote “build”, because then it will be 100% unique — holy, even!

2. Papa John says:

Yarr, I think it would be a case of unintelligent design to be building it ourselves.

3. billybobknuckledragger says:

I think it is wonderful idea! If it is successful, perhaps over time we could expand to more ships, and with revenue made on the rentals, we could use the money for charity…of course without requiring converstion as the violent fairytale beleivers require. We could also hold a raffle for a free rental, complete with a spaghetti dinner!

I just feel that if we aquire a boat to use as a “temple” or “church” and don’t use it in a way to help people without expecting something in return (a tithe, promise to worship the Invisible Sky Daddy, etc) we would seem hypocritical.

Just my two cents.

Go in peace and saucyness!

RAmen!

4. Kovi says:

BUILD IT. It’ll be fantastic and collaborative (:

5. Dudeman says:

I think maybe something a bit more piratey… But if that’s totally out of our budget range, a cat wouldn’t be too bad, I guess.

We should definitely get a custom built one if we do get a cat.

6. The 327th Male says:

Build or buy? Those are the two options you give? We are pirates dammit! WE STEAL!

7. Ted says:

Im not too keen. It just isn’t piratey enough.

8. David says:

This is ridiculous and outrageous. Sacrilege! No real pirate would be caught dead on something like this. O hope you are just testing us to determine who the true believers are.