42007 Views

Pirate boat feedback please

Published October 15th, 2009 by Bobby Henderson
James Wharram Pahi 63

James Wharram Pahi 63

What do you guys think of something like this for the FSM voyaging church? I will tell you a few reasons it appeals to me.

It’s something we can build together.

We can start right away. We have enough money to get started and we can buy more materials as we raise more during the build process.

It’s more realistic and practical. I like 200′ Galleons as much as anyone, but I don’t see a lot of them sailing around. Pirate boats are extremely expensive to buy and maintain, and require a large trained crew to sail. If we get one, it’s going to spend much of its life being rented out to pay for itself.

Something like this is relatively cheap (hundreds of thousands vs millions), simple to sail, lots of room.

The one in the picture is ~65′, I’m not sure the upper limit on sailing catamarans.

What do you guys think? Build or buy?

99 Responses to “Pirate boat feedback please”

1. Mike says:

I’m agnostic, in the aesthetic sense, to general design issues, but I think you might find this project much harder than you expect, in part because of the materials used in construction. If you have your heart set on a homebuilt, have a look at ferroconcrete designs, they are usually cheaper and quicker builds, and hull repairs in distant atolls when your navigation skills are impaired by too much grog are usually cheap and quick, requiring only a little chicken wire and cement…..

2. Scott says:

I would have to agree with the better spent elsewhere group. Personally id rather see it go twords a mission to Ethiopia or something, atheist/pastafarian missionaries might mean a lot more to the world than a pirate boat…

Aww who am i kidding, lets build it!

3. Chris B says:

This could, and is causing grand debate.
    I think all the Pastafarians would love to have a visit from the only man to so-far write a book in the Ghospel of the FSM.
    I think if you were to make a worldwide voyage and every Pastafarian chipped in $5 when you visited their home port you would soon gain plenty of booty to spread amongst the needy. This would also gain media attention; that a man in pirate regalia is sailing the world gathering money for charity :)
    I also like previous suggestions to save a bit extra for a Schooner. This would also be an inter-refference of the love of beer which the FSM has graced us and himself with.

rAmen to you, and well done on actually gaining the $100,000.

4. Sam says:

Hello Pastafarians
    I was perusing a govt auction site and found 3 wonderful 44 ft sailboats the navy used to train on. It would fit the mission nicely… and at $25,000 it is a steal :)
    Visit (http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/) and click on the “boats and marine equipment link. auction ends on the 21st .
    later,
    Sam

PS forget the immaculate conception. my god has saucy balls :)

5. Noodlenut says:

Cat’s are good cos you don’t have to live life at sea on a lean. They also have the net where you can get wet while you sail. They also have seperate ‘rooms’ when you need some space. I think I’d prefer them although I’m no sailor. There’s plenty of second hand one’s around to save time and the hassle of building. Just paint the FSM on the side and sails and away you go…yo ho ho and a bottle of rum. Hmmm maybe two ho’s is being greedy ;)

6. Kyle says:

I think we should build! It will same money and now we can sail around ending poverty! Just please make sure to stop by south east Florida sometime in the summer of 2010, when I’ll have a few weeks, and please hit me up if you do!

BUILD!

7. Kyle says:

just make sure to have an sfm flag to sail high!

Ramen.

8. Francisco says:

hello brothers and sisters!

I have found a great ship that is actually in our current price range at only $147,100 :) I think it would make a grand ol pirate ship for the church :D!

here’s another one that’s even a bit more pirate-esque… unfortunately we’d need to raise another 60 thousand or so. This one is $219,000

Ramen!