Ok, here’s the thing

Published October 30th, 2009 by Bobby Henderson

This was sent in response to pastafarian responses from earlier hatemail/concerned criticism post.

Ok, here’s the thing. You set up a website with a place for responses. Your website takes a clearly mocking tone toward religion in general. You gather a bunch of members who agree with you and assert your scientific superiority. All that’s fine. Indeed, I’d say its even American. The thing that disturbs me is when people begin to question the RIGHT of people to “insult us, or. . . pray for us.”

That right is recorded somewhere in some dusty piece of paper – let me think . . . where could it be –
that has worked out well for us all for quite a while.

The thing that turns me off, though, and weakens your position most, is that most of you are just mean. I wouldn’t want just to hang out with you at a bar or anywhere else, because your arguments primarily seem to consist of making fun of people. Indeed, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is pretty much one big Ad Hominem argument. It adds nothing to a discussion of the validity of faith, because it is not about faith. (The person who writes that they “believe” in Atheism I’ll give a pass to on this comment.)

Even if Katie is condescending, your responses are more so. It is the lack of love that makes me question your entire premise. Indeed, your definition of hate is awfully broad. It sounds, how shall I put it, downright religious. Even if we live in a Foucaldian world in which our choices are driven by zeitgeist and social darwinism, I personally am going to choose to reject that. I will defiantly assert that even in that world, Faith is still relevant (and if you read his last interviews, I think Michel might agree).

Even if God were not true, I think I’ll still take Katie, who clearly has concern for you (even if you think it is misguided) over you guys who are interested in intellectually crushing her. Just because you have a right to speak doesn’t mean that Katie shouldn’t, and you certainly “have no right” to expect most people who respond to like you if you are going to beat on them.

Take a real philosophical position that can be debated and we’ll talk. Claiming that principles are “generally accepted” won’t do it, and don’t even begin to bring “peer review” in to support claims of truth, because “peer review”, even at its best, isn’t about truth – it’s about methodology and rhetoric.

Otherwise, quit wasting my time.

P.S. Has anyone here actually honestly asked God whether He exists? Just curious as to whether this is an intellectually honest forum or an ideologically rigid one.

-Jeremy

202 Responses to “Ok, here’s the thing”

1. Devin says:

“Ever asked God if he existed”
    I don’t know, ever asked the electrons in your keyboard if they exist? What about the protons in your mouse/track pad if they can play piano? Asking something that people believe in for a legitimate answer doesn’t make sense.

2. Yay! says:

‘Has anyone here actually honestly asked God whether He exists?’
    Yes, actually. Or at least I have. Ooh and guess what? There wasn’t an answer.

3. tiffany outlet says:

I have wanted to write something like this on my blog and you gave me an idea. Thank you.

4. Backlinks says:

I must have your layout tell me where you got it PLEEEAAAASSSEE!!

5. wpolscemamymocneseo says:

Not sure about your article. It seems to be ok, but something is not right

6. best new york steak house says:

Good Examine and fascinating. Appreciate you taking the time in sharing these particulars. Thanks.

7. Lacresha Wiechert says:

Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your website is so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this web site. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched all over the place and simply could not come across. What a perfect website.

8. Praise and Glory to the FSM, Now Pass the BEER Mate! says:

Bobby, please send this to the mailer of this “hate mail”

Jeremy, if you don’t want to be mocked, don’t have such funny beliefs. if a god exists, and the bible shows an accurate portrayal of that god (debunks for islam also available on request), then god condones slavery, prejudice against women, genocide (he tells the jews to do this REPEATEDLY throughout the old testament, and also…noah’s flood), prejudice against homosexuals (the bible claims it is “unnatural” even though there is a list of over 1000 species that have homosexual relations.),thinks you should go to hell if you eat shellfish, or wear mixed cloth (of more than one type, ie, half polyester, half cotton), and claims to be all-loving, yet SENDS PEOPLE TO A PLACE OF ETERNAL TORMENT:HELL! Have beliefs that make sense, or let people mock them. The claim that i have a dragon is more plausable than the bible, as the bible has been written and edited over thousands of years, by many authors, in more than 10 languages. NEWS FLASH: You’re self-contradictory! You say you are cool with us being atheists, BUT THE BIBLE SAYS TO KILL US! It says to kill all non-Christians, and treat women like slaves. So, in other works, kill 3.6 billion people, and treat 1.8 billion people like property. Sounds REALLLLY, REALLLY loving and peaceful, don’t it? Brought to you by:LOGIC!Use it sometime.