Ok, here’s the thing

Published October 30th, 2009 by Bobby Henderson

This was sent in response to pastafarian responses from earlier hatemail/concerned criticism post.

Ok, here’s the thing. You set up a website with a place for responses. Your website takes a clearly mocking tone toward religion in general. You gather a bunch of members who agree with you and assert your scientific superiority. All that’s fine. Indeed, I’d say its even American. The thing that disturbs me is when people begin to question the RIGHT of people to “insult us, or. . . pray for us.”

That right is recorded somewhere in some dusty piece of paper – let me think . . . where could it be –
that has worked out well for us all for quite a while.

The thing that turns me off, though, and weakens your position most, is that most of you are just mean. I wouldn’t want just to hang out with you at a bar or anywhere else, because your arguments primarily seem to consist of making fun of people. Indeed, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is pretty much one big Ad Hominem argument. It adds nothing to a discussion of the validity of faith, because it is not about faith. (The person who writes that they “believe” in Atheism I’ll give a pass to on this comment.)

Even if Katie is condescending, your responses are more so. It is the lack of love that makes me question your entire premise. Indeed, your definition of hate is awfully broad. It sounds, how shall I put it, downright religious. Even if we live in a Foucaldian world in which our choices are driven by zeitgeist and social darwinism, I personally am going to choose to reject that. I will defiantly assert that even in that world, Faith is still relevant (and if you read his last interviews, I think Michel might agree).

Even if God were not true, I think I’ll still take Katie, who clearly has concern for you (even if you think it is misguided) over you guys who are interested in intellectually crushing her. Just because you have a right to speak doesn’t mean that Katie shouldn’t, and you certainly “have no right” to expect most people who respond to like you if you are going to beat on them.

Take a real philosophical position that can be debated and we’ll talk. Claiming that principles are “generally accepted” won’t do it, and don’t even begin to bring “peer review” in to support claims of truth, because “peer review”, even at its best, isn’t about truth – it’s about methodology and rhetoric.

Otherwise, quit wasting my time.

P.S. Has anyone here actually honestly asked God whether He exists? Just curious as to whether this is an intellectually honest forum or an ideologically rigid one.

-Jeremy

201 Responses to “Ok, here’s the thing”

1. rude-boyardee says:

“Even if God were not true”

hahahhahahahahahhahahahahhaha… ha

…that is all

2. Precambrian Rabbit says:

Sorry, ‘quit wasting my time’ –
    Well you and others have chosen (of your own free will) to comment on a site for people who choose reason and logic over outmoded organised religion. How are we wasting your time? you are surely wasting your own time by choosing to comment?

There is an easier choice, do not visit this site, do not comment, otherwise expect to be questioned.
    I do not trawl religious sites and try to stir up thoughts of rationality. That would clearly be wasting my time.

And I’m not American.

3. Wil says:

Two points here, Jeremy. First off I agree some of us get out of line. Personally, I do my best to respectfully comment. Sometimes I slip. Most of the time I do not. My second point is, I was raised Catholic. I often prayed to God for guidance, and while I was young I got peace of mind from it. But as I grew, I added to my prayers the question “are you there?” I never got a response. I’m here because this makes the most sense to me.

4. Blackbeard says:

I don’t know what your opinion is Jeremy, because i didn’t take the time to read it (no seriously, i didn’t)

5. Glenn says:

“Has anyone here actually honestly asked God whether He exists?”

I asked… it said ‘NO’.

6. Deetex says:

Heh! he quoted Atheism and claims it’s not a believe, that’s funny!

It’s also an example of closed-minded religious brainwashing.

It takes just as much faith to believe there is no god as it would stating there is, whatever incarnation it may take(lunch or old guy respective).

Hehehe, “Ask god if he exists”…. more funny stuff, I might as well ask a slab of concrete in front of my house whether or not it exists… and get a better reply as result!

7. Luke says:

I truly enjoy reading these letters, it astounds me to find that so many hypocrites exist among us. The fact that so many people are taking this site WAY too seriously, and the fact that they aren’t even basing their arguments on fact (Some of them just seeing how many times they can say fuck in one sentence) makes it all the more amusing. You have no more evidence proving that your “God” exists than this site has claiming the existence of the FSM. The bible has been written and rewritten so many times over the years that surely it has lost all meaning. The new testament was created to make “God” sound more kind & appealing in order to turn people away from other religions. Believing in a religion is one thing, but claiming that another person is ignorant for believing in something else or wanting to have some fun on the internet (Fun? On the internet? NO WAY!!!) is pure stupidity.

– Luke

8. not a dumb dick says:

this is the stupidest mother fucking thing i have ever fucking seen in my whole life.

• Alchemist says:

One of the most stupid things I’ve seen was a picture of dogs playing poker. That sold millions!
      No accounting for taste, eh? :D

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Are you talking about your letter?