I find your ‘religion’ extremely offensive

Published September 7th, 2009 by Bobby Henderson

I find your ‘religion’ extremely offensive you are clearly making a mockery of Christianity and I feel this is wrong. You should be ashamed of yourself!

-27160

275 Responses to “I find your ‘religion’ extremely offensive”

1. pinataheart says:

@ 249 Apprentice Frederic:
    There is no need to apologize in the least. You did not seem patronizing at all. You simply did not understand. I would imagine it very hard to understand the mind of someone who, when they decided that Christianity wasn’t good enough up and made their own religion up. And though I believe it I have admitted that it is purely for emotional reasons that I do believe it: there is no evidence to believe in a god, there is no good rationale behind believing in a god, it is absurd and ridiculous and I admit that, and if anyone else wanted to follow my Heartarian belief system, they too would have to admit that. But I am like a drug addict and deities are my drug. I have an intense psychological need for a deity. I want to quit using, I really do, but it just pulls at me too much. In my Heartarian belief, I believe in a god that loves logic and hates irrationality because, for the most part, logic is key to the development of human beings and it is better for us to be logical, whereas irrationality destroys us. For that reason, even Love Herself, I believe, wishes to push me to atheism, and the greatest thing in Her eyes would be, I think, for me to be atheist. But in order to please Her, it puts my mind in a difficult position because I must not care for Her one way or another and believe She does not exist. One would, or at least I did, think that it might be better if I simply pretended to be atheist, because then it would be impossible for people who are already enlightened to the point of atheism to be touched by my beliefs and convert to them. But, upon considering where I am and the low population of atheists in my home state, it would be better if I could get these Christians and very few other religious people to believe I do, if only for the fact that they would have to admit that they believe solely for emotional reasons and to, perhaps, ultimately, get people who are not so addicted to deity worship as I am, to reach the ultimate point of enlightenment of the Church of the Heart; atheism.
    And before you ask, yes I am completely serious about everything I said. And yes, that may make me sound completely insane, but hopefully that appearance of insanity too will make it easier to get those people who may be able to become enlightened to the point of atheism to see the follies of religion.

2. pinataheart says:

And that, my friends, is why I consider myself an anti-theistic theist.

3. Apprentice Frederic says:

@pinataheart, #257, #258
    Thank you for an extraordinary and eloquent answer.

4. MATTEO says:

YOU POT HEADS NEED TO KNOW THAT JESUS AND CHRIST WILL ALWAYS BE THE BETTER RELIGION THAN YOU FUCKIN POT HEADS THAT THINK A FLYING SPAFITE MONSTER IS GOD.

THATS Y U ARE ALL GOING TO HELL

5. MATTEO AGAIN says:

YOU ALL NEED TO GO TO A REAL CHURCH OF CHRIST OR EVEN A FUCKIN MUSLUM CHURCH THAT HASENT BLOWN UP YET AND GIVE UP THIS LIFE OF EVIL OR GOD WILL SENT YOU TO HELL JUST LIKE THE GAYS AND MUSLIMS

6. Gordon_UK says:

To Matteo

Your lack of knowledge is amazing, “Muslim church” indeed!

PS we have given up a “life of evil” which is why we are atheist

G

7. I'm Brian and so's my wife. says:

@ 258 – pinataheart – Apr 30th, 2010
    “And that, my friends, is why I consider myself an anti-theistic theist.”

That, and your previous post make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Sorry.

“anti-theistic theist”? That literally means you believe in God, but are opposed to him/her/whatever. Your solution to this is to make up your own characteristics for God/Nature/Love that are more palatable to you.

That is what ALL religions do. Assign their pre-existing beliefs to a deity. It happens within religions and when religious groups split or form entirely new religions. There’s nothing new about what you’ve done.

I undersatnd that you have a deep psychological need for a deity. Most people indoctrinated from birth into a religion do. It stems from the inate desire of all humans to understand the world around them and their purpose in it.

Science does a far superior job to religion in answering the first part – understanding the world around us. The second part, purpose or meaning, however, is almost certainly objectively unknowable. The problem with your belief system and all religions, is that they pretend to know the answer or that it’s even possible to know the answer.

It really is ok to just say “I don’t know, and I probably never will”.

Once you accept that, you’ll be well on your way to kicking your habit!

From there it really is only a small step to accepting that while we cannot have knowledge of the supernatural and absence of proof is not proof of absence, absence of proof is is a pretty good indicator that something is implausible.

Finally, in the same way that we definitively say “There is no tooth fairy” or “There is no Santa Claus” (despite not being able to actually prove either statement), we can also say “THERE IS NO GOD”.

Say it a few times. It feels good.

8. Apprentice Frederic says:

@ 263, I’m Brian and…
    I have to let pinataheart speak for his or her self, but you should cut her/him a little slack: pinataheart was clearly very aware of the contradictions in her/his post (#257). I have personally heard, BTW, one kinda instructive and true story about a Polish man who was visited by the (Warsaw?) Communist Party atheist apparat – they wanted to congratulate him on not believing in God, but he told them to go to hell (metaphorically, of course…), because atheism was just another religion….

I think that there are really too many options – including the infinitude that we cannot even imagine or express – to write off too many too quickly. Of course I agree with you – and pinataheart, I think – that the gulf between “revealed truth” and empirical/scientific “truth” is roughly the diameter of the Universe. Revealed truth (like, “Jesus loves you”, and “Allah will punish all those who laugh at Ayatollah jokes”) is utterly unverifiable, and scientific “truth” is always provisional (even “photons are massless”). The God revealed in the Old Testament has a psyche that closely approximates what one might guess would be the psyche of a cranky, nutty diaspora rabbi (or a modern jihadist mullah). I believe in both of the latter, but not the former.

“I don’t know, and I probably never will” is a good thing to say, but, someday, SOMEBODY might come closer. And, as the late, great, W.C. Fields is supposed to have said: “Every man must believe in something; I believe I’ll have another drink.” RAmen.