I am a practicing Roman Catholic

Published July 3rd, 2009 by Bobby Henderson

I am a practicing Roman Catholic. And I am also 13 years old. I was on Yahoo Answers and found a question about “The Flying Spaghetti Monster” So, I clicked on it. I probably shouldn’t have but when the link finished loading, I almost cried. Its hard enough for me to have faith in God already, I’m the type of person who needs to have things proven to them, but I just found your site… Disgusting for lack of a better word. I also heard that you made this site because you wanted to get back at the Kansas School Committee or something. I am hoping and praying that this is a true fact, and that you really don’t believe in this. I know this is wrong of me to say. People should believe in whatever they want, but really, looking at some of the articles that you have written, It seems that your site is more of an “In your face” thing to the Christians saying “Haha, we can make a religion just as easy as you guys can, see how stupid it is now?” For example ‘Your just jealous that our god has bigger balls then yours’? Excuse me for my language, but thats just crap, again, for lack of kinder terminology.
Even so, if you made this as a joke, or something to pass the time, that doesnt mean everyone else sees it that way. I mean, come on, you have a majority of collage students believing in this, and hopefully they’ll see how stupid (excuse me for saying that, im just trying to tell you my opinion without criticizing you further then everyone else already has) this all was, and that they may want to rethink their ways, that maybe you’ve gone a little too far?
I relize this all probably sounds silly from a 13 year old, but please take this into consideration…. If this whole thing is not a joke, im sorry, but if it was bobby… Thats kind of sad.

-erin

285 Responses to “I am a practicing Roman Catholic”

1. Forde says:

You’re thirteen, kid. our opinion means shit-all.

2. Amustad says:

Sorry Erin, but if you are a practicing Catholic then thinking that: “People should believe in whatever they want….” is against your faith. You should probably go confess. Matthew 28:19-20 commands you to go and make disciples of all nations. If you are going to be Christian, you will need to come to peace with the intolerance required by the religion. Your faith believes itself the one true faith and your god the one true god.

You also need to let go of your questioning nature. All the answers are in the Bible and where the Bible is contradicted by modern understanding, you need to let go of the modern understanding. Predictive value and reproducible results are nothing next to the King James version of the Bible.

• nun sequitur says:

mindblowing- now realizing i kno relatively little concerning catholicism…here i was thinking how i was never confronted by any1 trying 2 convert me 2 that, & there is actually a directive, this way?

3. The Fairy King says:

In Italy Catholics usually have the “Confirmation” at the age of 14. You’re still in time.
    Let the FSM touch you and you’ll life will be complete.

4. brian says:

This sounds very much like a 13 year old, guys. I teach 9th grade English, and this is typical. And, 13 year-old children often state that what they are about to say may sound stupid, especially when intellect is encouraged (this site.) In other words, this kid rose to the level of the site.

I say good for him and he gets it. Hopefully, he’ll read the Open Letter, and see for himself. This is America and we all can believe as we chose.

Do you not see that this is an atheist in the making? He is already questioning what is out there.

Bravo!

• pedants r us says:

Sorry guys, a bit pedantic I know but Erin is an Irish name and it’s feminine, I’m sure she will prefer not to be called ‘him’.

5. Speedragon says:

Kudos to the guy who wrote the letter, 13 yo or not, because unlike most christians, he was polite

6. monodelamuerte says:

Yes, that’s a well-written letter. Has anyone considered that she may just not be American? That might be another reason why she has trouble having faith in God, because she doesn’t live in a culture that glorifies religious belief quite so much.

7. erin says:

wow, thanks alot. take this off the webste. I had no intenton of t beng up here. Ok?

8. cynic says:

i think then letter itself is satire