I am a practicing Roman Catholic

Published July 3rd, 2009 by Bobby Henderson

I am a practicing Roman Catholic. And I am also 13 years old. I was on Yahoo Answers and found a question about “The Flying Spaghetti Monster” So, I clicked on it. I probably shouldn’t have but when the link finished loading, I almost cried. Its hard enough for me to have faith in God already, I’m the type of person who needs to have things proven to them, but I just found your site… Disgusting for lack of a better word. I also heard that you made this site because you wanted to get back at the Kansas School Committee or something. I am hoping and praying that this is a true fact, and that you really don’t believe in this. I know this is wrong of me to say. People should believe in whatever they want, but really, looking at some of the articles that you have written, It seems that your site is more of an “In your face” thing to the Christians saying “Haha, we can make a religion just as easy as you guys can, see how stupid it is now?” For example ‘Your just jealous that our god has bigger balls then yours’? Excuse me for my language, but thats just crap, again, for lack of kinder terminology.
Even so, if you made this as a joke, or something to pass the time, that doesnt mean everyone else sees it that way. I mean, come on, you have a majority of collage students believing in this, and hopefully they’ll see how stupid (excuse me for saying that, im just trying to tell you my opinion without criticizing you further then everyone else already has) this all was, and that they may want to rethink their ways, that maybe you’ve gone a little too far?
I relize this all probably sounds silly from a 13 year old, but please take this into consideration…. If this whole thing is not a joke, im sorry, but if it was bobby… Thats kind of sad.

-erin

287 Responses to “I am a practicing Roman Catholic”

1. FriggenDane says:

I don’t see why it’s so hard for people to believe that this is a 13 year old. Why would she lie? What would it accomplish? And why does it matter?

1. If you need to have things proven to you, then how can you believe in God?
    2. How can you say that His Noodly Appendage having bigger balls than God is crap? His meatballs are massive. I haven’t seen God’s balls, but if they were as big as FSM’s, you’d think they’d be mentioned at some point, right?
    3. Please don’t talk about how unlikely it is for FSM to exist when your own religion has no evidence to back up its own theory. Christianity is just as illogical as any other religion out there.

By the way, thanks for actually posting a good topic, rather than just calling everyone stupid. For a 13 year old, your a much better person to discuss things with than most others.

2. DarthFennec says:

I say this again and again. I will not be held responsible for how other people take my beliefs. Anybody out there who’s too butthurt or too serious about my faith, that’s your problem, not mine.

3. Phillip Drew says:

pfft 13 my ass

4. Tylena says:

Hi Erin and Molly,

The two of you give me hope that Erin is right, and your generation will be more mature, more civilized and will treat others with more respect than most people in my generation. I don’t know how old your younger sister is, Erin, but I hope she will find this site. I hope she will read the ‘about’ part, and laugh. And I hope she will not continue to read the hatemail and see all the hatefull reactions, from Christians, Pastafarians and atheists on each others comments with all the swearing and condemming. You are right about that, the language used by most people on this forum is not ment for children.

I think both of you are intelligent young people. I don’t agree with some comments that bad spelling is a sign of lack of intelligence, since there are so many intelligent people that sometimes make a mistake. Please don’t pay to much attention to the people who will make a comment about every little mistake they can find. They’re just, well, people who pick at details and loose sight of the bigger picture (in Dutch (my native language) we have a really nice word for it but when you translate it to English it becomes swearing).

I hope the both of you will think about the things being said here, and about your religion and other religions and then make up your own mind about what you believe. Just don’t close your eyes to something because it unsettles what you believe in now. Never stop asking questions, never take anything for granted as the truth without proof. Keep your eyes open to the world around you. Whatever you choose to believe in, don’t ever loose the respect for others that you have now.

Don’t forget to eat some pasta every now and then, it really is a lovely meal! ;)

RAmen

• Tylena says:

ps I know, lose as in the verb should be with one o. I only saw it after I pressed the submit comment button, sorry!

• Ereshkigal says:

Hi Tylena

I also want to second all things that you have said here, there are no big deal about the young age of Erin, the fact that she was able to put her words into a coherent form and that she was a young person asking for evidence in which base her personal view about life and universe is most important, however, I think that she still not grasp the real reason why this site exists and why some of us are here commenting and posting
      Personally, I am here for young and curious people, searching for his/her own truth based on reason, I am not here trying to convince religious and fanatic people, because trying to convert and convince zealots and fanatics is a waste of time, no matter how you put your logic and reason, they only will turn back, open their bibles, grab their amulets, plug their ears and start singing la la la, Dawkins is right about this, their brains is so full of the concept of god, and they are in such a need of a beloved father, a celestial one, that they will not be able to live their lives without the false confort of a furious father, quick in his vengeances and wrath, but very happy to create a heaven for those who lick his foot, they NEED, a father, their minds was trapped into a childish state, if you tought carefully, children have a happy life because they know that a father is there to protect them, feed them, is a very nice feeling, but when they grow, they know that they can live a full happy life without any father, they can take care of themselves.
      human mind is the same, a few of us know that we don´t need a celestial father, and that a celestial father does not exist, that sole tought is devastating, you are alone, no one to blame for your actions but you, but that also give a total freedom, and that freedom is guided by human laws, human moral, evolution has given to us the tools to survive, love for children, care for others, a social mind, and a passion for knowledge
      but others still need a father, since childhood were adoctrinated in such a way, and now they are unable to broke their chains, they love to be in chains, because is comfortable and gives a full security status.
      no, I am not here for those persons, I am here writting about origins of faith, origins of god, the horrid truth about fanaticism, and defending reason, for those who get here with real open mind, with doubts in their minds, they deserve to know the truth, no matter how rude, hard, and ugly are, they have the right to choose their freedoms for the last ancestral chain, religion is like slavery, you are the slave of a giant celestial being, and not obey his rules will cast you to the bottom of the abyss, and be their slave grants you heaven, where still you are not safe from his wrath.
      those doubtful minds deserve to know the real universe, personally, where people like to see the simplistic hand of god, I see the beauty of physics and mathematics, in every dawn I see millions of natural laws in action, in every insect I see the power of Natural Selection, true freedom is granted when you are no more slave of anyone, being human or god.
      for those people I write here, they still not grasp that the FSM is a form of trying to free humans from god, being sarcastic about things so serious and fanatics are the first form of laugh, and laugh kills fear, and when you have no fear, you can start asking questions, and those questions can bring you to a very interesting conclusions, that is the real reason behind satan, there is no 666, there is no hell, only fear, fear to have you in chains, fear to oblige you to beheave, fear to oblige you to bow to a illusionary friend.
      seeing those kids surely give me hope for the future, the sole fact that she is writting here is because she still has questions, only fanatics and zealots write here with the usual treats and insults, which have no effect, because I and many others have no fear, no fear of a landscape which I can see in Io, and from a giant figure that more resembles a lizard in fire.
      and thanks of your comment in the other thread my friend :)

a big hug

RAmen!

and sorry for any mispelling, not my native language, but feel free to correct it if you feel to it, I´m always glad to accept my errors and correct them :)

5. Virginia Butaud says:

less expensive tickets for anwhere from the globe ,seek a large number of internet pages in seconds – travel to http://www.desicyberworld.com,also air france specials

6. NorCalGnocchi says:

I’ve got plenty of construction paper, can I drop this college student thing and become a collage student instead?
    FSM-FTW!

7. Get Backlinks says:

Daaaammmm howd you get that layout yo! its FREESSHH!!

8. troll lololololol says:

Maybe some of us (not including me) really do believe in this, we have a right. How do you thing that the Romans before Christianity thought of it, probably “oh its just one more crazy cult that is trying to scare people” ad then, because of there less civilized manner would have tried to eliminate them. Now in modern times, people don’t eliminate them anymore, but there still not that nice to people who practice a religion that seems different to them. You tell us to prove our belief, but as it stands its just as likely as yours. That’s part of the point of this.

What i really believe is that we should be equally open to all religions and have our number 1 “religious” priority to simply be the best person we can be. Not many gods can punish you for that.With these things that were likely originally devised as a ponzi/cash scheme of sorts and were almost always devised in ancient, more primitive times, wouldnt it be better to be open to all aspects of faith and play it safe?