11994 Views

Help team FSM raise $100k on kiva

Published July 21st, 2009 by Bobby Henderson

Team FSM on kiva.org is now the top religious congregation. We’ve got almost 500 members on our team and we’ve lent out over $70k.

We’re trying to raise $100k by the end of the summer. Would you take a minute and check out the site and consider joining our team?

Kiva is a non-profit micro-lending institution primarily for the developing world. Typical loan requests are like, $1000 for some cows in Vietnam, or $1500 to open a shop in Cambodia. You choose which of the loans appeal to you, and donate a small amount, usually $25. When the loan is fully funded, 100% of the funds go to the borrower. They pay it back over time without interest. The money comes back to your account and you can take it or loan it out again (I suspect most of us re-loan).

Team FSM has so far provided more than 2100 micro-loans.

Our team page is here. Please take a look and see what you think.

Some example loans:

Please help us hit $100k.

11 Responses to “Help team FSM raise $100k on kiva”

1. Jennifer Escalona says:

Great idea, Bobby! I’m already on the Kiva team, but I’ll Tweet about this and publicize it on Facebook. Let’s get the word out, Pastafarians!

2. Pope Pixel I says:

That is SO cool! Way to go guys, and keep it up.

3. Elyse says:

What a great way to combat the stereotype that only Christians give to charity!

4. Strawberry says:

I nearly got my parents to donate to this for my Christmas gift last year. :3
    (I got a Flock of Hope from Heifer instead. <3Heifer)
    Maybe this year I will do this. And now that I know about team FSM, I’ma be all over that shit.

5. Nicole Hickman says:

What a terrific idea! I can’t do anything at the moment, but hopefully this will get bumped so I remember later down the road so I can contribute.

6. SingaporeGWoh says:

Arh, i need to pay for my UNI school fee… cant help in this cause… Hope you guys will be around 2 years later :D then i can join in fully and totally devoted :D

Ramen, The great Pasta will guide our soul with His Noobly Appendages :D

7. Jonzie says:

That is great, religion free funds for development!

8. Marmot says:

May you be blessed by His Noodly Appendage, I love this idea! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

p.s. Since you mention no interest, I am quite confused about this bit from the Wikipedia article on Kiva. “According to its web site, Kiva quotes interest rates as the “self reported average rate charged by the Field Partner to the enterpreneur.”[17]
    As of July 17, 2009, the average interest rate charged by all Kiva partners is 23.28%. The following table shows the interest rate charged by a sampling of field partners.”

What interest rate are they referring to?