19365 Views

Liberty University should lose its tax exemption

Published May 31st, 2009 by Bobby Henderson

Jerry Falwell

Jerry Falwell

Americans United for Separation of Church and State has asked the IRS to investigate whether Liberty University – the church school founded by Jerry Falwell – is in violation of tax law.

Liberty shut down the school’s Democratic club (because of unGodly support for gay rights, pro-choice views, etc.) The school’s Republican club is still intact and receiving school support.

AU says that’s bullshit since, as a tax-exempt institution, Liberty is barred from showing preference for one political party over another.

An excerpt from the letter AU sent the IRS:

By banning a Democratic club while permitting a Republican club to exist and offering funding to the latter but not the former, university officials appear to be operating in violation of federal tax law.

Here’s the letter (.pdf) AU sent the IRS.

Our view: the Church of FSM believes religious organizations should not be exempt from paying taxes. Or perhaps that the application for tax exemption was not so ridiculously long. Or that someone would volunteer to take over the paperwork for me.

What do you think – would the Church of FSM find trouble with tax officials, were it to achieve tax exemption? We pay a retarded amount in taxes right now and the IRS still came to my door and asked me a bunch of questions. Jerks.

44 Responses to “Liberty University should lose its tax exemption”

1. Ron says:

Oh, by the way. Whoever is moderating this thread should definitely post #26 to ‘Hate Mail’. This guy’s a classic.

2. IreTea says:

I would like to point out to Truth, #26 of the list, that our point isn’t really to… mock religions. Yes, we do poke fun at other religions, and there are a few in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster who might do so more than others. Typically, it is in retaliation to those who don’t take their time to learn what this group is about and go off on a rampage because they didn’t take the time to read anything on the site. You actually seem to have noticed that this organization is satire. Good job, on your part, be sure to spread the word the next time your ‘relationship’ gets together, or whatever you chose to call your religion.

I tend to babble, so my apologies if my thoughts are a bit scattered here, but there is one last thing I want to touch on, concerning Truth Prevails. In that comment, they stated that we are the immature ones, the childish ones, because we ‘insult’ their faith. We point out what we think is wrong, share our opinions as to why, then, we might even giggle. But that wasn’t the point I was trying to make. No, I wanted to point out the… hypocrisy, for lack of a better word, at this person calling us the immature ones, when, in that very next sentence, and begin to insult what we firmly believe in, something that this person is practically yelling at us via written text.

Bad, Truth, no cookie!

I.T.

3. Drained and Washed Clean says:

To #26 – Truth Prevails,
    I think we first need to have a discussion about what truth is. Truth is a fact that has been verified by evidence (definition: an outward sign : indication; something that furnishes proof – Webster Dictionary) So, we can use the multiple skeletons that have been collected from millions of years of life to prove evolution. There are holes of course. Do you know how the earth was formed? It was (and still is) a violent process. Plates ripping apart, earthquakes, volcanoes spewing lava, and even objects from outer space striking the planet. Of course there are going to be “holes” in the evolutionary records. Fossils are rare because of how difficult it is for one to form. We are lucky to have every fossil that we have found. But I have one word for you: Galapagos. What amazes ME is that when there is a hole in science, instead of forming a hypothesis, testing said hypothesis, analyzing results, drawing conclusions, having other scientists repeat the experiment to see if they get the same result… you know, scientific procedure, people of religion say, “Oh, it’s ok! You don’t have to do any more research! We got this one! God did it!” Now who is lazy?

You are like dogs sitting under the table of science, waiting for the scraps that cannot be filled in yet to fall off the table (yet being the key word). You eat them up and claim the only possible explanation is god (i.e “intelligent design”) even though time and time again science has proven you wrong. Just to name a few of these instances; the Earth is the center of the universe, the world is flat, the world is only 6,000 years old, rainbows are miracles that men cannot replicate, there is nothing beyond our galaxy, and now evolution. Yet, you still insist that what you “know” is better than what is actual PROVEN fact. All you are trying to do is take us back into the Dark Ages (play on words due to the lack of cultural and technological advances and the dominance of religion. Interesting inverse relationship, yes?)

I, personally, truly enjoy the idea that we are made from stardust (Google: Fred Hoyle). I think it is more beautiful than some invisible man making me in his image and then demanding I spend my whole life in servitude and degrading my fellow man by telling him he is wrong while providing absolutely no evidence to support my theory (see definition above, and FYI, bible does not equal evidence. Something cannot be used to prove itself).

Go back under the table and lay down. Another scrap will fall soon.

Peace and Sauciness to you, RAmen,
    D&WC

PS – Once you can prove irreducible complexity, then you can prove evolution and natural selection are false. Good luck with that.

4. Sarah in Brooklyn says:

I just cannot get enough of this site, the religion and its adherents, and the excellent things that are said in the comments. And I laughed like hell over the penultimate paragraph of this post. I thank Jebus I’m a believer and am glad that I came back aboard the ship tonight after so long away. So fucking clever!
    So have the pesky IRS forms been vanquished?

5. BlackBard says:

@ Drained and Washed Clean said in part (#35), “I, personally, truly enjoy the idea that we are made from stardust (Google: Fred Hoyle). I think it is more beautiful than some invisible man making me in his image and then demanding I spend my whole life in servitude and degrading my fellow man…”

Exceptionally well said. That is exactly how I feel. When “believers” say that they are awed by the idea of an all-powerful god, who has always existed and always will, creating the universe, I think of it as trivial. After all, how difficult could it be for an all-powerful being to do anything? That effortless act of “creation” cannot possibly compare with the wonderful unfolding of all that is, in the complex and beautiful way it happened and is happening.

RAmen

6. Gooseage says:

Have you seen the Liberty University logo? It says “Knowledge Aflame,” and features a burning book. Tells ya something.

7. sage wilde says:

I attend Liberty as a graduate student. They do not need a tax exemption. I guess Liberty University forgot that Greed and Jesus do not go together,,, I could explain but not necessary. I hate having to keep my political opinions to myself, my opinions regarding science verses their version of Christianity. I would say a few incriminating comments regarding my education. However, I have too much money invested into these cold hearted blood sucking scum to provoke an investigation of the quality of our graduate programs for national license……. God help me,,,,, I want away from these Christians. Christ protect me from your Christians!!!! Amen. And Christ protect me from the graduates who will be counseling,,,,,,,, they still believe mental health disorders can be demonic possession,,, Oh Lord have mercy!

8. Buy Amoxil Online says:

Amoxicillin capsule
    What is this medicine?

AMOXICILLIN is a penicillin antibiotic. It kills or stops the growth of some bacteria. This medicine is used

to treat many kinds of infections. It will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections.
    What should I tell my health care providers before I take this medicine?

They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
    asthma
    kidney disease
    an unusual or allergic reaction to amoxicillin, other penicillins, cephalosporin antibiotics, other

medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
    pregnant or trying to get pregnant
    breast-feeding