Liberty University should lose its tax exemption

Published May 31st, 2009 by Bobby Henderson

Jerry Falwell

Jerry Falwell

Americans United for Separation of Church and State has asked the IRS to investigate whether Liberty University – the church school founded by Jerry Falwell – is in violation of tax law.

Liberty shut down the school’s Democratic club (because of unGodly support for gay rights, pro-choice views, etc.) The school’s Republican club is still intact and receiving school support.

AU says that’s bullshit since, as a tax-exempt institution, Liberty is barred from showing preference for one political party over another.

An excerpt from the letter AU sent the IRS:

By banning a Democratic club while permitting a Republican club to exist and offering funding to the latter but not the former, university officials appear to be operating in violation of federal tax law.

Here’s the letter (.pdf) AU sent the IRS.

Our view: the Church of FSM believes religious organizations should not be exempt from paying taxes. Or perhaps that the application for tax exemption was not so ridiculously long. Or that someone would volunteer to take over the paperwork for me.

What do you think – would the Church of FSM find trouble with tax officials, were it to achieve tax exemption? We pay a retarded amount in taxes right now and the IRS still came to my door and asked me a bunch of questions. Jerks.

44 Responses to “Liberty University should lose its tax exemption”

1. boarg says:

I think it might be good as it is a similar action to that which spawned Pastafarianism (obviously because his Noodliness chose the time etc. etc.). It could draw attention and would be hilarious if it succeeded, could spawn a rash of copycat applications which might force the exempt status to be abandoned (some hope) or at least force ‘the man’ to show his true and unequal colors.
    Have to say, however, that the most hopeful thing about this was that there even was a club on such a campus that espoused liberal and democratic views. Now that they’ve been disbanded, here’s hoping they’re rebelling and meeting in secret to plan anarchy and chaos. We can dream.

2. pirateanarchist says:

WE must get tax-exemption because if we don’t I’ll send Al Gore my powerpoint presentation on the matter, and then stuff will happen! Also, Bobby should try to get on The Colbert Report.
    It sux the IRS came bug Prophet Bobby about the funds for the Ship.

3. cindyb says:

If the Church of Scientology has tax exemption (which they should NOT), then FSM should also. Actually, I am in favor of the tax exemption for churches (including ours) but ONLY if the church or affiliated school stays completely away from politics and quits trying to redefine science. I also agree with pirateanarchist that Bobby should try to get on Colbert. It would be hilarious – a fight between the pseudo-Catholic and Pastafarianism.

4. The Impaler says:

Hmmmm. It seems to me that the primary purpose of FSM, to keep ID out of the classrooms, is primarily a political arguement using a mock religion in order to develop the irony and sarcasm necessary to make a point.

As much as I would like to see you get tax exempt status – I think it’s a stretch. Good luck.

That said; As a devout believer, I would be willing to sign any petition stating the validity of the religion and the strength of my conviction.

5. piratesmee says:

I agree with the majority– we should be consistent with our principle that we are the equal of any religion and entitled to the same consideration under the law, whether in the classroom or when being taxed. However, I do understand our prophet’s frustration at the red tape involved and hope a way can be found to make the process worthwhile. Yours in the sauce, Piratesmee.

6. Danzki says:

I agree with #6. We should try to get the exempt in the same way we are trying to get taught in Schools Science class along with ID…to show the irony of it all.

-Aarrghh

7. Nastyogre says:

I have a question. Do We have a way to become ordained in the Church of the FSM? If there is some process, then in some states, like my home here in Iowa, I could legally perform marriages. Which I would like to be able to do. Any ideas?

8. Wench Nikkiee says:

#20 – The Impaler
    “a mock religion”

A mock religion?
    A mock religion?

Hmmmmph!!
    Soooooo please do define what constitutes an authentic, true (TM), verifiable “real religion” or “realigion” (as per current terminology)

Mock religion!