Liberty University should lose its tax exemption

Published May 31st, 2009 by Bobby Henderson

Jerry Falwell

Jerry Falwell

Americans United for Separation of Church and State has asked the IRS to investigate whether Liberty University – the church school founded by Jerry Falwell – is in violation of tax law.

Liberty shut down the school’s Democratic club (because of unGodly support for gay rights, pro-choice views, etc.) The school’s Republican club is still intact and receiving school support.

AU says that’s bullshit since, as a tax-exempt institution, Liberty is barred from showing preference for one political party over another.

An excerpt from the letter AU sent the IRS:

By banning a Democratic club while permitting a Republican club to exist and offering funding to the latter but not the former, university officials appear to be operating in violation of federal tax law.

Here’s the letter (.pdf) AU sent the IRS.

Our view: the Church of FSM believes religious organizations should not be exempt from paying taxes. Or perhaps that the application for tax exemption was not so ridiculously long. Or that someone would volunteer to take over the paperwork for me.

What do you think – would the Church of FSM find trouble with tax officials, were it to achieve tax exemption? We pay a retarded amount in taxes right now and the IRS still came to my door and asked me a bunch of questions. Jerks.

44 Responses to “Liberty University should lose its tax exemption”

1. DavidH says:

If any genuine deity wants more money for his followers, he can magically produce some by, say, teleporting it from a bank vault. Otherwise, render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s.
    The FSM is, of course, capable of providing His followers with untold riches. That He does not do so can only mean that He does not wish to. Bow to His will!

2. StJason says:

…has anyone considered that maybe the FSM’s view on economics is to take from the rich? This might be the basis of the horrid slanders against Pirate-kind. It also might mean that Robin Hood is due a honorary sainthood, even if he was land-bound.

3. MaxDefcon says:

I agree with DRock it will bring this topic into the limelight. I say go for it and get as much attention as possible.

4. Long John Silver says:

I agree with DRock, you should go for it if you can see your way though to the end of the forms. Also if its granted can we have tax free ‘Communion’ pasta in the FSM store please?

5. Andreas says:

I would say the CoFSM definitely needs tax exemptions to fill up its pirate chests!

On a serious note though, I agree with what OrigamiSquared said in post #6. We should always strive for equal rights as any other ID religion. We are just as valid as they all are so we should be just as entitled to tax exemptions as anyone!

I think we should try and make a list of all silly things other ID religions are allowed to do that is a bit out of the ordinary and then apply for all of the very same things! Our noodly god demands fair and equal treatment of all appendages!

6. Brother Boyardee says:

I am appalled that Prophets should be required to pay any tax.

7. Dan Casey says:

I’m running a (real) contest to rename Liberty University, in light of its asinine action regarding the college Democrats. The winner will receive 1 copy of “The Big Book of Irony” (2007, St. Martin’s Press) by John Winokur. The deadline for entries is 12:01 a.m. Monday June 8.

Submit your entries as a comment at:

8. Ron says:

I agree- the COFSM is at least as deserving of tax-exempt status as, say, the Church of Scientology; and if the process of applying should happen to focus media and public attention on the subject, that’s just killing two birds with one stone.