Good fun, at what cost?

Published April 4th, 2009 by Bobby Henderson

What a great way to invest your time and I really appreciate your sense of humor. Sadly, there is a human emotion, or response called “regret.” For example, a drunk driver wakes up in a jail cell with no memory of the night before. He is walked over in hand cuffs to a “service window” and told he is being booked or vehicular man slaughter. It turns out he ran a red light, struck a SUV with a family of 5, killing 2 children under the age of 5.

The joy you receive running this web site is probably pretty big. I’m sure you love the ignorant hate mail you receive or the attention from other joy seeking worldly people.

My question to you is, do you consider yourself a good person? On the day of judgment when you’re standing in front of a Holy and righteous God, how will you fare? What kind of remorse do you think you, and others you may be leading away from God will feel when they are turn away from the gates of Heaven and cast in to the pits of Hell for not repenting for the Sin we are all guilty for? You have you ever lied, stolen or committed adultery within your heart?

I don’t honestly believe that you’re going to reply with some miracle response that says “yes, you’re right I will repent and follow Jesus.” Do yourself a favor. Do some research and really consider what you’re basing the fate and existence of your eternal soul on. If you decide to follow your current path, good luck friend. If you find yourself with even the slightest doubt of the certainty of your eternal soul then I suggest you pick up your Bible, read it and do what it says.

God Bless,

Nick

281 Responses to “Good fun, at what cost?”

1. Ryan says:

If we read the bible, Nick should read The God Delusion

2. Sean Boyd says:

Nick,

Are you seriously trying to equate, on a moral level, the fans of a web site devoted to satirizing the excesses of religious belief, with those who kill as a byproduct of alcohol consumption? Is this really your argument? You might as well have called us Nazis, or Commies, or terrorists, as that’s the popular demonizing term of the past few years.

I can’t speak for fellow pastafarians, but I’d guess that we’re not murderers and criminals, as you’d clearly argue. Well, except for the plundering and looting we practice as part of our constitutionally protected religious beliefs, but that’s really only meant in good fun, you know. I would hazard that we all render unto Caesar that which we’re required, and to your god all that which he is due, which is to say, nothing. That is, of course, because there is zero evidence your god exists.

When you can explain how your god, who, in his Holy Spirit costume, impregnated a young woman so she could give birth to sweet baby Jesus, who by the way, is ALSO god (said storyline wouldn’t make it onto prime time network television, would it?) then feel free to criticize us about the adultery we commit in our minds. (I mean, come on – forcing yourself on your OWN mother, so she can give birth to you? Sick.)

When you can explain the irrational positions many Xtian leaders take on issues of modern science, positions that put people in harm’s way, or force on them burdens they needn’t bear, then feel free to criticize us about leading people astray. (Pope Benedict XVI comes to mind, along with a few thousands others. Perhaps Pope Benedict XVI should be Pope Benedict Arnold, as he’s betrayed millions of his followers with his irrational stances on birth control.)

When you can prove the existence of the soul, then feel free to tell us we’re risking ours with our beliefs. (Supposedly we’ve all got one, so it shouldn’t be that difficult, should it?)

In other words, take a page from the beliefs you clearly hold so dear, and stop casting stones until you’ve demonstrated you and yours are sinless.

RAmen.

3. Sarah says:

I used to be afraid of the (remote) possibility of divine punishment for my non-belief, until high school, when I came to the following conclusions: If there is no God, there is no Hell, and so I should not be worried. If there is a God but he/she/it is benevolent, basically good people (people who follow the law, try to be nice, give to charity, ect…) will not go to Hell just for non-belief, and so I should not be worried. If there is a God and he/she/it is malevolent enough to send basically good people to Hell for non-belief, then everybody should be worried, because there is no way to to know if the “correct” faith is Christian or Muslim, Protestant, or Catholic, or even something human beings haven’t discovered yet. If that is the case, then there is a very good chance that we are all going to Hell, so I might as well life my one and only life on Earth as well as I can (which is what I am doing). That was over ten years ago, and not only am I a lot happier now (and I think a better person as a result), I have yet to meet anyone who can demonstrate where my logic is faulty. Can you? RAmen, and I hope you don’t live the rest of your one and only life on Earth in fear of a event that will probably never come.

-Sarah

4. Insightful Ape says:

Hey Nick,
    You hit the nail right on the head-at least in part. I do enjoy reading the stupid hate mail from patronizing trolls, and yours is a good example. Without you guys life would be pretty boring.

My question to you is, do you consider yourself a good person? On the day of judgment when you’re standing in front of a His Noodly Goodness, how will you fare? What kind of remorse do you think you, and others you may be leading away from the the Flying Spaghetti Monster will feel when they are turned away from the the beer volcano and getting stuck with diseased strippers for not repenting for the Sin we are all guilty for? You have you ever lied, stolen or committed adultery within your heart?

I don’t honestly believe that you’re going to reply with some miracle response that says “yes, you’re right I will repent and follow the true prophet, Bobby Henderson.” Do yourself a favor. Do some research and really consider what you’re basing your fate and the dogma of existence of an eternal soul on. If you decide to follow your current path, good luck friend. If you find yourself with even the slightest doubt of the certainty of your bronze age dogma then I suggest you pick up the gospel of the FSM, read it and do what it says.

Your brother in Noodliness.

5. Iron Mike says:

Oh, brother…

6. Thursday says:

Numbers 25, baby! Gotta kill off all those folks in mixed-race marriages, or we’ll all be killed in (yet another) YHVH-sent plague!

7. silentalias says:

WTF is an eternal soul, and where can I get one? Sounds rather delicious, though I think it’d give me an upset stomach. Actually, I’d much rather munch on some SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS.

Done.

8. Pasta Fairy-Anne says:

Check the “have preached at FSM followers” box, Nick. Pat yourself on the back. Jeebus says “you done good.”

Now watch your butt on the way out: that door has a vicious backswing.