205308 Views

FSM on the Rachel Maddow Show

Published February 13th, 2009 by Bobby Henderson

Rachel Maddow talks about Darwin’s Birthday and the evolution – ID debate, and about the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster:

129 Responses to “FSM on the Rachel Maddow Show”

1. Jeffetx says:

I have existed in the religious world, served it well. I have ended up believing (in unconditional love, not just an eternal love for those who have met the challenge [ahem, male oriented to the nth degree] – all are forgiven.) that what you believe with your heart should be true for you……however, many seek to foist it on me. Sorta disproves the whole ball of wax, don’t it. Believe, but leave me out of it.

All hail the Great Spaghetti Monster!!

2. Daniel says:

I´m sorry to say, this just proof the general belief in the rest of the civilised world: that americans are, lets say, undereducated.
    Noone else have the least doubt that science is truth, even the people who still have imaginary friends know, that evolution is definate truth.
    It is scary that a country that leads the worlds fight against religous fundamentalists has so many themselfes.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

While I concede that many of my fellow Americans are under-educated (damn those Texans!) you are wrong when you say “No one else have the least doubt that science is truth”. Religious fanatics of all nationalities discard the truth when it conflicts with their cherished beliefs.

• Omnipotent Zombie says:

Daniel- I was never aware that America has a reputation as the leader of the fight against religious fundamentalists. I imagined America on the opposite side of the spectrum. If anybody held that title, I would have figured it would be a European country.

tFtPtM- As a Texan, i would normally give you a good counter argument.. but I admit there are times when it’s really hard to argue against that.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Nothing personal, OZ. I’m just going by who Texans have elected as governor. Damn, I though Dubya was thick until Rick Perry show up. What a dope!

• Mal says:

Believe it or not, Rick Perry was MUCH less of an idiot before his presidential bid started. Back in Texas, a lot of people referred to him as a RINO (Republican in Name Only) because he was surprisingly and consistently making decisions for the good of the state. Then the campaigning season came along and with it the buy bull thumping idiocy you see now.

So either he has drastically changed the type of person he is, or he had our entire state duped. I refuse to believe the latter. Maybe he’s just been brainwashed.

• tekhedd says:

“Maybe he’s just been brainwashed.” Well, somebody has clearly been fooled here…

• Atsap Revol says:

Does Texas have a lotta spotless leopards, or is it just Perry?

AR

• Clayton says:

I am a Texan, and I am completely open minded and adore the ideas of Pastafarianism.

-_-

• Keith says:

Are you from Austin?

• Miranda says:

the american government is hypocritical.
      The american people are taught to not think things through. philosophy is not taught to those in high school.
      those in religious groups are hailed if they follow the thought that true FAITH is to believe what you can’t prove.

• Mal says:

Whoa, you must have some impressive leg muscles to have jumped to those conclusions. I was raised from a very early age to think critically and logically. I took a philosophy class in 9th grade. I can’t speak for people in religious groups, but your other assumptions are absurd. I can GUARANTEE you that I’m not the only one. I’m even fairly certain I’m not in the minority (especially considering I grew up in one of the worst public education systems in the country – F-ing Texas).

You should practice what you preach and think things through.

• Mal says:

And while I’m here, what pedestal are you on that you feel you have the right to judge an entire nation?

• James (offical pirate) says:

yes I agree America is the only country that believes in religion in full and that science is not the truth. whats that I look on my map and see Vatican city the only city state in the world. and who runs this city state oh none other than the pope the head of the roman catholic church I’m willing to bet someone there believes in god and does not believe in evolution. also I would like to point out that your statement is fundamentally wrong anyway because the FSM created everything, and just puts the scientific “evidence” in the world to test are faith!

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Hardly. How many truly secular countries are there in Islam? Turkey, Iraq, and a couple others, but for many the Koran rules.

3. nun s equator says:

if u want 2 further pastafarianism, start having eyewitness accounts on the scene @ notable news events…everywhere as is, god has foot in door top billing; i hope god forgives that guy, god only knows what he was thinking, god help her…the next time some1 asks u 4 an account of something, start plugging your beliefs where u c fit. FSM will begin showing up all over the news & unless censorship occurs, u will make headlines. That, just a suggestion.

4. Dan says:

I see an opportunity for Pastafarianism if the new Blunt bill gets approved. If The church of the FSM were to position its moral stand against a large number of expensive medical procedures and medications, company CEOs could join this church and be allowed a religious exemption for the procedures etc. and also the costs.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Who would ever work for a Christian Scientist? You’d get a library card, not an insurance card.

5. Bannon says:

Are you fucking kidding? Flying spaghetti monster? You guys are fucking nuts – Spaghetti Monster? You’re out of your minds.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

Are you fucking kidding?
      Flying spaghetti monster?
      You guys are fucking nuts –
      -Perhaps. But the nuts I fuck are my business, so leave it alone.
      Spaghetti Monster?
      -Zombie jew on a stick? And you forgot the “Flying” part. It is important.
      You’re out of your minds.
      -No more than you and your fundie friends.

• Grahamtastic says:

I burst out laughing when you said the nuts you fuck are your business

• Mal says:

Oh joy. Another brain-washed yokel who completely misses the point.

At least he’s not spewing poorly remembered bible verses at us. That’s fairly different.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

No, but he will just repeatedly iterate the same points using different words… You never know. Maybe he will annoy us away from our “beliefs”…

6. Paul says:

As a side note, Darwin’s wife was his cousin, definitely worthy of an epic fail considering the implications of his theory.

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

Paul, the reference was unnecessary as most people are aware of the relationship between Darwin and his wife Emma, but thanks anyway. It was, and still is in the UK legal to marry a cousin as the degree of separation is considered sufficient to adequately dilute the gene pool so as to not constitute a danger. In any case, they were married and had children (mostly healthy, the bad health suffered by his beloved daughter was not genetic as far as I am aware) before he had developed his theory. So no fail then so far as I see it. Attempt on your part to discredit Darwin? Now that’s what you call an epic fail.

7. Sam says:

A SATIRE?! How dare this woman mock our holy religion!

8. Carol says:

She called us “satire”! Other than that, love her.