merry fmas

Published December 8th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

tree22.jpg

tree22.jpg

We were setting up our Christmas tree this year and realized we had nothing to set a top it.

We do hope my crafty homage to our dear FSM does not mind his perch alight on our tree, because he looks so fantastic there.

Have a great Holiday season.

Christina

22 Responses to “merry fmas”

1. Ted says:

Can I have that ornament too?

2. Wdabrock says:

@ Rebecca 4,

Well, it wouldn’t have been very festive for our fellow pastafarian to put a corpse resembling CHRIST atop the tree, would it? That would be very messy indeed; he certainly wouldn’t get a lot of presents if that were the case! You know he meant Fmas anyway, silly!
    RAmen!

3. Belgian Girl says:

@rebecca:

Despite being associated with a Christian festival, many have made the claim that the tradition’s origins are pre-Christian, originating in the ancient paganism of Europe. The tradition can be definitively dated to 16th century Germany, and it was popularised across the western world in the 18th and 19th centuries.

4. Bruce says:

We can get presents from CHRIST?!? “rebecca”, please tell us all how!

5. Open MInd says:

Just because you don’t believe that Jesus Christ was the messiah doesn’t mean you have to dismiss his existence altogether. He was actually the moving force for many great things (and a fair share of not so amazing things) and you can still have a day to recognize that. Furthermore you could just believe that taking time out of one’s schedule for one day every year to give to others is a worthy enough cause, even if the name is Christian based (and further back a pagan based holiday date).

6. Halibut Pirate says:

Hi, Rebecca. I personally don’t find this post at all hypocritical. Even if Christina and her family don’t subscribe to Christianity (which they actually may, I don’t know), they can still celebrate Christmas as a holiday that stands for love, family, generosity, consideration, gratitude, and good old-fashioned merriment. One doesn’t have to believe in Christ to share gifts at Christmas, or at any time of the year. And anyway, did you know that decorating a tree at this time of year was originally a Pagan tradition that honored Roman gods? Rebecca, since neither of us believes in any of the Roman gods, we’ll both be hypocrites when we decorate our trees this year. Have a merry Christmas, no matter your creed.

7. Dan says:

Rebecca (#4) – Great example of religious logic! I love your techniques.

Assumption – a Christmas tree is purely a christian symbol because its name has ‘Christ’ in it.
    Conclusion – to use a Christmas tree you must be a christian or you’re a hypocrite.

I can use this logic to!

Assumption – to vote in the USA you must take part in the Democratic process, which has ‘Democrat’ in it.
    Conclusion – if you vote anything but Democrat, you’re a hypocrite.

Christianity is a part of Christmas in the same way the Democratic part is part of US democracy; both are part of something much bigger.

Christmas is a celebration, it’s a time to over eat, take a day of work, to buy and receive gifts and keep the economy afloat; for some it’s also a religious festival. You’re arrogance in stating that I have to be a xian to legitimately give gifts to my loved ones at christmas amazes me.

8. TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

To me, this Xmas is all about a 5 day weekend. If putting a statue of Osama bin Laden on a tree could get me another couple days, I’d do it.

Think most people’s first Xmas thoughts are about the birth of Jesus? Hell, he wasn’t born in December! As previously stated, the early Christians hijacked a pagan holiday. Now it’s been taken from them by merchants. Xmas is about Charlie Brown specials and buying jewelry and horrible music about Grandma being run over by a reindeer.