I’ve tried

Published November 11th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

I’ve tried giving evidence for God.
I’ve tried telling you the benefits of God.
I’ve tried telling you the horrors of Hell.
I’ve tried kindness.
I’ve tried condemning you.
I’ve tried offering you salvation.
My patience is expired with you all.
I have only one question for you all.
Why do hate God so much,what did He do to you to make you doubt His existence. Everything I know, everything I love, is in a Book you hate with all your hearts. My God is great, He is kind, and He is forgiving. Yet still, you curse Him with every word. Everything He hates, you love. Sex,war,blasphemy,hate,mockery, even death you love! All you do to me is mock me. You never give evidence, you only call yourselves enlightened for your lack of faith. God warns that heathens offer freedom,pleasure,and knowledge, but they are lying. I have offered you eternal life, and you have cursed me. I do not curse you, nor your choices,nor any horrid sin you do. I cry for you. I will weep in the presence of God because of you, and because i could not save of you a single soul. So, my sinful,fallen companions i leave you today with just one question. Why?
May Christ Jesus, The One True God, have mercy on you my friends.
-Christian

381 Responses to “I’ve tried”

1. Lori says:

… and we also ask why?
    Why do you fail to see the mission of this site? You appear to have a good grasp of the English language. This site does not hate God, in fact it is all about the freedom to worship God in any form that suits you – the very reason the pilgrims came to the New World. This site only mocks those, such as you, who vainly attempt to convince others their God is the one true form. Such vanity leads to a world of ugliness and war. It is that vanity which this site attempts to defuse, with humor instead of violence and threats. What a novel concept!

Christianity is composed of many varied denominations: Methodist, Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Baptist, Anglican, Pentecostal, Evangelical… why don’t you pick on them? Or do you? The very fact that you are trying to “save” others indicates unquestionably that you are not comfortable with your own beliefs and seeking alternative explanations. Perhaps you need to spend more time confronting your own insecurities instead of wasting your time with those of us who are content. Or perhaps it is our contentment which attracts you to this site.

May you be touched by his noodly appendage and open your blind mind to the universal ideals expressed here: tolerance, love, compassion, equality, fairness, justice… you know, stuff Jesus taught. Best of luck.

2. Dan says:

I don’t hate god, I don’t hate anything that does not exist.
    I don’t hate the bible, I believe it’s a work of fiction
    I don’t love war, hate or death, you insult me.
    I do like sex, that’s fun (take note wenches)
    I have plenty of evidence and I’ve replied to you with it, you just ignored it.
    If I’ve mocked, it’s because I do not share your beliefs. You have mocked me for mine and threatened me with eternal damnation – we’re even.
    I have freedom, pleasure and knowledge – I’m not lying to you.
    I do not agree with your evidence, I do not see your benefits and horrors,
    I do not want your condemnation, salvation or eternal life (just a good earthly one).
    I do not need your kindness, tears or your prayers (although I thank you for them). I saved myself.

Why? Because I do not believe and I have no faith. I will continue to live my life to my morals, which are not so dissimilar to the Christian values as you might suppose. Who I am is not what you see, you see evil because I do not believe, I see a man blinded to truth by his faith.

I wish you well and long life

Dan (which means courageous but is often in my case)

3. Ohio Pirate says:

We don’t hate god, we just don’t believe in him. We hate those who try and justify their stupid or hateful or bigotted, and most often greedy acts as those inspired by a higher power of which no evidence exists.
    If you feel comfortable being told god did as an explanation for everything, great. But don’t try to sell it as a plausible explanation for everything to people like us who like a little proof before we offer up our allegiance.
    RAmen!!!!

4. Erik says:

Hi Christian.

I’ve tried giving evidence for God.
    - I haven’t seen any.

I’ve tried telling you the benefits of God.
    - I haven’t seen any. I’ve seen a few downsides to belief in god, though. Giving 10% of my money to someone who hasn’t earned it is a start. I think I’ve heard of a war or two over religion. Maybe even terrorist attacks in the name of some god or other. As a scientist, I’m especially peeved at the church for what they’ve done to science and scientists. Things like Galileo and Intelligent Design.

I’ve tried telling you the horrors of Hell.
    - I’ve never seen hell. Have you?

I’ve tried kindness.
    - I appreciate your kindness and the politeness of your post. I’ll try to return the favor.

I’ve tried condemning you.
    - Fuck you.

I’ve tried offering you salvation.
    - You have no salvation to offer.

My patience is expired with you all.
    - I’m trying to be patient, too.

I have only one question for you all.
    Why do hate God so much,what did He do to you to make you doubt His existence.
    - God hasn’t done anything, and that’s what makes me doubt his existence. People claiming to act in the name of a god have done truly atrocious things.

- The Bible is a very interesting book. I’m just not convinced it’s worth basing a life on. I’d also point out that there are plenty of other things to love in this world, like people, beaches, stars. Don’t forget yourself (no wise cracks here please).

- God hates sex? They why did he make it so much fun?! And please don’t go claiming I love war. Or hate. Or death. (I love, by the way, that god hates hate.)

- I would claim that god (if he existed) and the church (which certainly does exist) offers freedom, pleasure and knowledge, but is lying. Freedom, as long as you do everything they tell you. Pleasure, unless it involves something you enjoy (sex for instance). Knowledge, as long as you get it from the book they give you, which is a collection of stories from thousands of years ago, and as long as they approve of the knowledge (see rant on science above).

I have offered you eternal life, and you have cursed me.
    - You have no eternal life to offer. I don’t curse you, I hope you come to see that reality is based on what is real, not an invisible friend, no matter how many people believe in him.

I do not curse you, nor your choices,nor any horrid sin you do.
    - Thank you. I’ll try to return the favor. Except for the horrid sin part. I think it’s OK to curse horrid sins.

I cry for you.
    - Don’t. I’m having a good life, thank you very much. I hope you are too.

- And I weep for you right here, and right now, for wasting your life chasing a dream that doesn’t exist. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help you get over your delusions.

So, my sinful,fallen companions i leave you today with just one question. Why?
    May Christ Jesus, The One True God, have mercy on you my friends.
    - Saving the name calling for the end, huh? I find it repugnant to call good people sinners when the only ‘sin’ they committed was not believing in YOUR god. Presumably you’d feel the same about a Jew, Muslim, etc.

In brief rebuttal, there’s no evidence for a god, church’s can do horrible things, thanks for trying to save me but I think it’s you who need saving, and you can’t prove a negative (kinda the basis of this site, god is a flying spaghetti monster, and you can’t prove otherwise). That’s why.

Erik

5. Scotty B says:

“Christ Jesus, The One True God…”

Don’t you mean Christ Jesus, The One-Third God?

6. Mitch says:

Guess he wasn’t kidding when he said that he would be back to the site. At least this time it’s worth arguing with him. Let’s see, where to begin?

First of all, you seem to have a problem distiguishing between people who don’t believe in you god and people who hate your god and some that do both. I, for one, fall in the last category. I don’t believe in your god nor do I particularly like him or his followers. They set impossible rules to live by that no one can live up to and then make people feel guilty for the rest of their lives when all they did was act as they are. Human.

That’s right, I am human. Guess what? So are you! The one principle that most Christians seem to have forgotten is “Everything in Moderation.” I believe I have the right to my pride. I’m an artist and I’m proud of the artwork that I do. I don’t push it everyone’s face, but I am proud. And on my Saturdays, I sleep in until noon. You can call it sloth, I call it a well deserved rest. These are human things and to believe someone will burn in hell for them speaks of a god that has no love. Sex and pleasure are things that should be respected for the beautiful things they are. Of course, always in moderation.

Your god and your bible have been a plague on this planet. They’ve destroyed so much and killed so many. Yet here you stand, telling me how loving your god is. Christians can’t even give food to third world countries without forcing a bible down their throats. Yes, that certainly speaks of love and kindness.

My mother once told me that she felt sad because one day, when she died, she would go to heaven and never see me again. Because I would be burning in hell since I didn’t go to church. I had never so much as missed a day in school and here I was, being condemned to hell. At that time I still believed in your god, but I never went church because I was never raised in a church. My parent’s never went when I was growing up. When I went off to college, my mother found a church and she expected that after 20 years of raising me outside the church I should just jump up and start going. My life should have revolved around the church. Since I didn’t, I’m going to hell. Not becuase I’m bad person, but becuase I didn’t dedicate two hours every week listening to someone tell me how to live my life better. I was an excellent student, a good daughter and good girlfriend. My mother has the audacity to tell me that I’m going to hell after she’s had an abortion!

Of course, her telling me that dinosaurs aren’t real put everything in perspective. She honestly believed that dinosaur bones were planted by scientists to justify their theories of evolution. Needless to say, I rarely believed any of her nonsense after that.

I will not tolerate the forced teachings of the christian faith. Your hipocracy has spread an illness across this planet. Forcing people to their knees, making them feel worthless when they should be celebrating their lives. Go back to your church and rot there. Heap yourself in guilt and pray that your next life brings even more guilt for the way you’ve lived. Leave me and all others opposed to your vile teachings the fuck alone. We’ve been offered your pathetic attempt at salvation on more than one occasion. We will not be turned from our path. Your arrogance to think you can do otherwise is laughable.

7. Dustin says:

I am not here to debate the letter above. One commenter made mention that this letter was worthy of an INTELLIGENT debate. It is not.

That being said, I would like to pose a question to you, Christian. Do you believe in Santa Claus? Like God, his story is passed down through the generations by means of written tales and then reinforced by those close to you. However, at some point during childhood most lose faith in this mystical figure and accept the realization that Santa Claus does not exist. Yet, the joy, spirit and, of course, the gifts that Santa Claus represents continue to be present in these people’s lives. The same can be true for your religion. As a kid I was told that there was a God, I was baptized and I went to Church. During my time in college I realized that I was doing these things out of habit and not out of faith. It was at this point in my life that God, my imaginary friend from my childhood, no longer existed for me. I began to make something of myself without the help of God. I succeeded where others though I would not and I continue to employ reason in every aspect of my life. I can actually say that I am happier today than I was with God in my life. Thinking rationally has allowed me to make sense of my life and all that I wish to achieve during it.

You pray for me but I fear for you, Christian. I fear that you will live the rest of your life praying for love and happiness rather than going out and achieving in on your own.

8. Wdabrock says:

What evidence have you given about the existence of God? The bible is NOT incontrovertable evidence of God! Show us something concrete. Get Him to do an interview with Larry King or something. We’ve been trying to get this point thru your thick skull: One side of a tale does not make a whole! You have no more proof of God than what you say. You say read a Bible and yet you can’t even quote from it. You just babble.

Benefits of God, like what? Don’t squalk about Heaven and living forever like some dumb parrot! Everyone in this forum has had their own experience with believing in whatever. Is it enough for you to allow people to make up their own minds. NO! You want to close your mind to science and free speech, so why can’t we close our minds to your rantings? From the responses you’ve gotten, you can tell that we hear you; but you don’t want to hear us! Don’t command us to believe what you do!

We don’t hate God, WE LOVE THE FSM!! He shows us love in a manner that your god doesn’t. Grandma says:”The way to a man’s heart is thru his stomach.”, and that’s the FSM.
    The problem is that you typify what drove me from that christian bullshit so many years ago. You talk from both sides of your neck! God is a god of love, unless he hates you because you’re gay, drink, smoke, have sex, say GODDAMN, don’t go to church on Sunday, ask questions of faith… DON’T FOLLOW THE FUCKING MEME!
    Christians want you to choke on their dogma, smother you with it. Even something as useless to christianity as evolution becomes a threat because it’s people not thinking and believeing the way that they do. You can’t even be a honest christian(Christ-Like); trying to love everyone irrespective of whether you agree with them or not without being silenced. YOU KNOW I’M TELLING YOU THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH!
    Your religion’s founder walked around, not saying all the vile shit you’re been blogging, but trying to convince a bunch of anal priests to be more accepting of people and ideas. He got nailed to a tree for being nice. They showed him! Your Jesus wanted his followers to open their minds and christians ever since have been back pedalling. Christians don’t want to do anything but hate non-believers, and subjugate the children into like-minded zombies. No room for debate or compromise. No room for science and evolution. No room for questions of faith. No real answers about life. No room for me!

I don’t care about eternal life, unless its fun! I don’t care about God, unless he’s all inclusive. I don’t care about religion, unless it really does the job of enlightenment, and peace. You dare talk about how God loves so much and in the same breath say: “Everything He hates…” If your God hates, I want no part of him.

OR YOU!
    May His Noodly Appendage touch you in the future and drop the scales from your eyes. Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

RAmen!