Pastafarians read for charity

Published October 27th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

reading2.jpg
Penn State Atheist and Agnostic Association member Yasic Naumenko reads a passage from the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

“We’ve only been flipped off like twice”

This was in Penn State’s The Daily Collegian:

Nat Jackson read passages from the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster Saturday to crowds walking past the Allen Street Gates.

Before reading verses about how the Spaghetti Monster created the universe, he put on a black eye patch, the required attire for the Spaghetti Monster’s believers.

That text was one of more than a dozen religious books — including the Bible and the Quran — put on display by the Penn State Atheist and Agnostic Association, of which Jackson (senior-anthropology) is president. Passersby could donate money in return for hearing club members read aloud from the book of their choice.

Fantastic – I love to see things like this. You can read the whole article here.

18 Responses to “Pastafarians read for charity”

1 2 3
  1. BlackBard says:

I sent this letter to the Daily Collegian. I hope it gets published.

Re: Atheists read religious texts for charity

Your article published on September 22nd was very interesting. I applaud the courage of atheists for publicly reading religious texts for such a laudable cause as Doctors Without Borders. A few points are in need of clarification, however.

Erin Rowley’s comment that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a deity created by Kansas author Bobby Henderson in 2005 to protest the teaching of intelligent design in public schools is not correct.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster, creator of the universe, has existed for all time. Bobby Henderson, our beloved Prophet, is not the “inventor” or “creator” of the FSM. It is his writings that brought the FSM to the attention of the public through a letter to the Kansas School Board and the Gospel of The Flying Spaghetti Monster, our sacred text.

Prophet Bobby also established the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster to further the understanding of our Master the FSM. Pastafarians are dedicated to incorporating the teaching of our version of the Creation in all science classes that also teach the theory of so-called “intelligent design.”

Those interested in learning more about our Pastafarianins will find useful resources at the website of the CoFSM at http://www.venganza.org.

RAmen

2. Deelawn says:

What’s their motto? “We’ll read the hell out of these books!” :p

But seriously, awesome stuff! For $5 I’ll even read any book out loud for 30 minutes in a public area & Ill post on youtube. Offer’s on the table :p

3. brian says:

Borat says, “Verry nice.”

4. Connor says:

This is exactly what Pastafarians should be doing more of: promoting religious plurality and tolerance (and raising money for charity to boot) rather than spouting blatantly anti-religious drivel. I have to admit, although I felt somewhat estranged from Pastafarianism of late, after seeing how this often turns from gentle satire into downright hatred, hearing about this has reaffirmed my faith in the divine providence of His Noodly Appendage.

5. elise the pyrate says:

Excellent, Doctors Without Borders is a great orgainization. as an anarchist, i’d also like to live without borders.
    and you say you have been flipped off by a couple of ppl? don’t worry, they get no beer from the Volcano.

6. Nat Jackson says:

I was doing my weekly check of the website and amazed to see myself mentioned here. Glad to see my fellow Pastafarians appreciate the work done by the PSUAAA. May you all be bathed in the red sauce of His love.

7. Nat Jackson says:

Also, to Elise:

while you may view it as just that those that flipped me and my fellow group members off would receive no beer, I must point out that this is a misinterpretation of scripture. It may be the case that the beer they received from the volcano would be stale upon their lips, and the strippers from the factory may not be fully pleasing to their eyes.

8. JorickHorn says:

I was there! It was loads of fun, and I can’t wait for the chance to do it again!

1 2 3