PZ Myers and Richard Carrier to speak at MSU

Published October 7th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson
skepticsposter.jpg

This saturday: JT Eberhard of the Missouri State University chapter of the Church of the FSM has arranged for biologist PZ Myers and author Richard Carrier to speak at MSU.

Please come if you can! We’d like a huge turnout.

Here’s the press release:

PZ Myers and Richard Carrier to speak at Missouri State University.

Oct. 11th at 1:00pm in the PSU Theater on the Missouri State campus.

901 S. National
Springfield, Mo

Biologist PZ Myers and author Richard Carrier will speak about how their related fields apply to Christianity and faith in general.

PZ Myers:

Paul Zachary “PZ” Myers is a Biology professor at the University of Minnesota Morris and the author of the science blog Pharyngula. He is currently an associate professor of biology at UMM, works with zebrafish in the field of evolutionary developmental biology (evo-devo), and also cultivates an interest in cephalopods. He is a public critic of intelligent design and of the creationist movement in general, and is an activist in the American creation-evolution controversy.

Richard Carrier:

Richard Carrier is a published Historian and philosopher. He is the author of “Sense and Goodness Without God,” though he is best known for his writings on Internet Infidels (otherwise known as the Secular Web), where he served as Editor-in-Chief for several years. He is a noted advocate of metaphysical naturalism. He has published many articles in books, journals, and magazines, and also features on the documentary film “The God Who Wasn’t There” where he is interviewed about his doubts on the historicity of Jesus.

Besides his work in print, as a contributor to the Secular Web (one of the main web sites for skeptics on the internet) Richard Carrier has composed research articles on subjects ranging from the origins of Christianity to elements of naturalist and atheist philosophy. He has also engaged in several formal debates, both online and in public, defending subjects as diverse as naturalism as a worldview and natural explanations of early Christian resurrection accounts.

17 Responses to “PZ Myers and Richard Carrier to speak at MSU”

1. Derrick says:

Jan van Niekerk
    Wow, took you a while to figure that out. How many times does it take for people like you to realize that FSM is to bring to light the absurdity of ID.
    FSM is to real, PROVE FSM doesn’t exist. You can’t. Prove he does exist you will ask.
    Well look on the home page for FSM, he is there therefore he exists.

And good luck with the seminar.

2. jeremykeys says:

Guess I’ll have to look on youtube. Wish me luck. Given the chance that I don’t find it I hope someone will post here with a title or something.

3. m610 says:

Jan – First, it need not be hate mail to be able to criticize things FSM. Second, you are right, and many people who come here don’t get it. Third, are you addressing Pastafarianism, or Christianity, or some other religion? What you wrote seems to apply to all of them, unless you take history and tradition to be the same as evidence. In that case, FSM has at least some, which would validate it. Fourth, read the letter to the Kansas School Board, that or wikipedia. A sincere Ramen to you.

4. Wench Nikkiee says:

#3 JT Eberhard
    “It’ll be on youtube”
    Thanks JT!

5. Redbeard says:

People from PA don’t normally get to Missouri in the course of everyday travel, so I missed the discussion. However, over on Pharyngula, which is an excellent blog for those of you who have never been there, PZ Myers mentions that “While I did briefly disparage the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, …”. I’m just curious, for anyone who was there, what did he say?

Of course, I could wait for the DVD, I was just curious.

Ramen!

6. socokid says:

I thought Richard was very well represented in “The God That Wasn’t There” video, which was great.

Is there any audio/video of the discussion? Thanks!

7. Jan van Niekerk says:

m610 – Q. “Third, are you addressing Pastafarianism, or Christianity, or some other religion?” A. I said “Religion” and “Belief”. You said “Religion”. What you believe is your belief. What I believe is my belief. You possibly believe you are correct (it is a common failing). I have this failing too — and I happen to believe you are wrong.

If your belief so lights up the world, why is there a need for the FSM? All you have to do is haul out the bright light of truth and fantasies will disappear. Isn’t that the bright light of truth you have in your hand? Don’t hide it behind the meatballs! Show it for all the world to see! The truth doesn’t have anything to fear from a proper examination. All men, when you reveal that true light, will understand why you have such faith in it.

8. tillymoondrop says:

I think this is silly
    the FSM embraces the creation theory
    and these fools are trying to disprove this
    HELLO? DID YOU LEAVE YOUR BRAIN IN YOUR PASTA BOWL???