Church to apologize to Darwin

Published September 16th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson
darwinsm.jpg

The Church of England has decided to apologize to Darwin. Excerpt from The Telegraph:

The Church of England will concede in a statement that it was over-defensive and over-emotional in dismissing Darwin’s ideas. It will call “anti-evolutionary fervour” an “indictment” on the Church.

The apology, which has been written by the Rev Dr Malcolm Brown, the Church’s director of mission and public affairs, says that Christians, in their response to Darwin’s theory of natural selection, repeated the mistakes they made in doubting Galileo’s astronomy in the 17th century.

The statement will read:

Charles Darwin: 200 years from your birth, the Church of England owes you an apology for misunderstanding you and, by getting our first reaction wrong, encouraging others to misunderstand you still. We try to practise the old virtues of ‘faith seeking understanding’ and hope that makes some amends.

You can read more about it here.

32 Responses to “Church to apologize to Darwin”

1. Clemens says:

@15
    “At least they’re trying”

But they’re trying too late and they keep unmovable on other issues such as stem cell research. I bet in a couple of hundred years they will explain that they were wrong on _this_ issue.

2. BlackBard says:

Right on, Clemens. Evolution does work, even for the C of E!

ET & Cap’n Crunchy Breadsticks – Thanks for pointing out the glorious confluence of Friday with ITLAPD! Naturally, the only way we can truly honor our Noodly Master is by taking the day off, quaffing copious quantities of grog and generally plundering everything in sight. I’ll be joinin ya. Yaaaar!

RAmen

3. Penne Pete says:

@Flyingspaghettiapostle Well that’s the wonderful thing about christianity. They can do whatever they want as long as they apologise to their god for it afterwards. They don’t have to take any responsibility upon themselves and no action other than praying harder. While the rest of us take a logical approach and learn from our mistakes, christians have no reason to do the same. I mean their god will forgive them anyway, so why try?

4. Theo says:

“Sorry for misunderstanding you”.
    Read: “sorry for putting the ears in our ears and going ‘na nana nanana!! I can’t hear youuuu!’ and then went on to do it again and again and again and again.”

5. Stroppy Rabbit says:

Us witches and heretics are still waiting for an apology (not that the so-called witches being persecuted by the Church were in any way the same as modern Wicca).

I think some of the commenters above would benefit from a modicum of knowledge of church history; it’s well to be specific as to which branch of Christianity you’re criticising and know which doctrines and practices they subscribe to before lumping the whole lot in one category.

Anyway, Pastafarianism is in error; I know because I have had the secret name of His Noodliness revealed to me.

6. TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Looks like old Chuck made a monkey out of them!

7. Pho eater says:

Now if only all organized religions would be dissolved entirely. Wouldn’t that be something grand? I think we have enough “politicians” as it is. Cause that’s all I see them as. Political parties. Nothing more. Nothing less.

8. pirate anarchist says:

As a witch, I would like an apology from puritans.