A proud day for Pastafarians

Published September 26th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

piratedemo3.jpg
[Pastafarians stage a counter-protest. Photo cred - Brian Chilson]

It was a victory for Pastafarians everywhere.

Last Friday – Talk Like a Pirate Day – the Central Arkansas Pastafarians interrupted and caused the discontinuation of a Westboro Baptist Church hate-demonstration.

Westboro Baptist Church is best known for picketing funeral processions of soldiers killed in the Iraq War, but they hate everyone who doesn’t share their literal interpretation of the Bible.

From Wikipedia:

The church runs numerous websites such as GodHatesFags.com, GodHatesAmerica.com and others expressing condemnation of homosexuality, Roman Catholics, Muslims and Jews, as well as populations it believes are supporting the aforementioned groups, including Chinese, Swedes, Canadians, Irish, British, Mexicans and Americans.

These guys are intolerant assholes; I am so happy to see our fellow Pastafarians ruin their day.

The Arkansas Times had this to say about the Pastafarian counter-protest:

What do you do to make a bunch of soulless nutcases abandon their post at the Convention Center? Send in the pirates!

Yep, the cuckoo Phelps hate group walked the plank this morning after a happy bunch dressed like pirates and holding signs saying “God hates shrimp — Leviticus” and “God hates cotton-polyester blends” stood opposite them at the corner of Markham and Scott streets. The group, made up of Central Arkansas Pastafarians, waved swords and growled “Arrghh!” in a manner that would have made Abbie Hoffman proud.

With cars honking and waving at the pirates and a TV crew giving them all the attention, the Phelps group — with a child in tow, sadly — picked up their “fag” epithets and went away. Pitiful.

A sincere thank you to the Central Arkansas Pastafarians. You made us all proud.

You can read more at the Arkansas Times website.

121 Responses to “A proud day for Pastafarians”

1. Paola Santacruz says:

Hola pastafarianos!

I’m so proud of my fellow pastafarians, I hope they follow the FSM advice: eat to go after those hateful bitches!

Saludos desde Ecuador!

2. Ian says:

This was awful! You guys went and protested the Westboro Baptist Church!?

Without ME!?!?!?

3. fluffy says:

I want an eyepatch, too. . . and a big bowl of linguini. . .

You guys pwn. Down with all haters!

4. Aimlessness says:

Brilliant! I love the cotton/poly blends line. It has always been one of my favorites. Whenever someone says something stupid like, “It’s in the bible…,” I always point out that mixed thread clothing is also an abomination in the bible.
    “I hope you aren’t wearing poly/cotton. It is a sin, you know.”

5. pnelnik says:

For one day only I will cast aside the difference between my church ( http://reformed-pastafarianism.org/ ) and you orthodox pastafarians. I congratulate you all and would like to off up a bowl of penne to the FSM marking this wonderful day.

6. theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Theatre of the absurd at its very finest! Give it to the WBC every chance you get.

7. Pontius Pirate says:

The video from this day last year is coming soon!
    Just in time to promote this year’s Talk Like A Pirate Day.
    Thanks for all the kind words and support.

Pontius Pirate

8. Boy90 says:

But, as inflation proceeds, people begin to real- ize that prices are going up perpetually as a result of per- petual inflation. ,