A proud day for Pastafarians

Published September 26th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

piratedemo3.jpg
[Pastafarians stage a counter-protest. Photo cred - Brian Chilson]

It was a victory for Pastafarians everywhere.

Last Friday – Talk Like a Pirate Day – the Central Arkansas Pastafarians interrupted and caused the discontinuation of a Westboro Baptist Church hate-demonstration.

Westboro Baptist Church is best known for picketing funeral processions of soldiers killed in the Iraq War, but they hate everyone who doesn’t share their literal interpretation of the Bible.

From Wikipedia:

The church runs numerous websites such as GodHatesFags.com, GodHatesAmerica.com and others expressing condemnation of homosexuality, Roman Catholics, Muslims and Jews, as well as populations it believes are supporting the aforementioned groups, including Chinese, Swedes, Canadians, Irish, British, Mexicans and Americans.

These guys are intolerant assholes; I am so happy to see our fellow Pastafarians ruin their day.

The Arkansas Times had this to say about the Pastafarian counter-protest:

What do you do to make a bunch of soulless nutcases abandon their post at the Convention Center? Send in the pirates!

Yep, the cuckoo Phelps hate group walked the plank this morning after a happy bunch dressed like pirates and holding signs saying “God hates shrimp — Leviticus” and “God hates cotton-polyester blends” stood opposite them at the corner of Markham and Scott streets. The group, made up of Central Arkansas Pastafarians, waved swords and growled “Arrghh!” in a manner that would have made Abbie Hoffman proud.

With cars honking and waving at the pirates and a TV crew giving them all the attention, the Phelps group — with a child in tow, sadly — picked up their “fag” epithets and went away. Pitiful.

A sincere thank you to the Central Arkansas Pastafarians. You made us all proud.

You can read more at the Arkansas Times website.

121 Responses to “A proud day for Pastafarians”

1 9 10 11 12 13 16
  1. Valvicus says:

Oddly, I had just nuked a Boston Market Chicken Parmesan w/ Sketti dinner for my eats, right before I discovered this site via a linky from NoScript: http://noscript.net/faq#qa1_1 .

Having been an ECU Marching Pirate way back in the day, I can only rue the fact that we weren’t outfitted with groovy pirate togs and eye patches, brandishing our instruments and shouting en masse “Ar-r-gh!” as our team cheer!

Have you seen this: http://arrgh.com/ ? XD Go Central Ar-r-gh-ensas Pastafarians!

2. Tortuga says:

Wonderful to see fellow pastafarians standing up against that bigoted, funeral-desecrating church of nutcases.

I celebrated by eating noodles as breakfast.

3. Toetoet says:

@Flemish Girl,
    His Noodlyness has touched people all over the world as I’m sure you know. Interested in meeting with some Dutch pirates? PastaPiraten@hotmail.com

4. Adam says:

Can someone let me know if there’s some on-call Pastafarian group that I could join to counter-protest groups like WBC. It could be like the minute-men. Whenever these lunatics pop up, we grab our swords and parrots, and head over to enlighten them.

5. Sparkiee says:

:D

Good to see these ass hats put in their place. I hope the whole WBC like get on a bus together, then the, almighty, *angelic choir* Flying Spaghetti Monster, picks it up with his noodly appendage and throws them into the middle of the Grand Cannon, then they die and explode.

6. Brennan says:

WOW! I was definitely there leading a counter-protest as well! The protest was the center spread in my school’s newspaper and everything. The WBC actually didn’t come back the next day.

7. Zinc Alloy says:

I propose these wonderful Pastafarians be Sainted by the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

They are truly carrying out His good work.

8. TK says:

up here in Canada we all really enjoyed pirate day.. sorry it has been so long to place in my 2 cents.. but it was fun.. i personally don’t need a special day to be a pirate.. but look on the upper hand..

at least the only call you crazy or assholes.. i am not a believer but a lot of my friends are .. Im a devout satanist think on how the hicks and close minded treat me here.. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
    AND HAVE A GREAT HALLOWEEN