Court date set for Green Bay nativity scene lawsuit

Published August 12th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

plastic-jesus2.jpg

Some of us what happened last Christmas when Green Bay city officials installed a Christian nativity scene atop a public building. Drama ensued when the city would not allow displays representing other religions – including the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. They mayor referred to a proposed Pastafarian display as “silly”. (Clearly he hadn’t seen my schematic (below)).

Now the city of Green Bay is being sued. Not by us – by the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

The Madison-based foundation and 14 local residents are suing the city of Green Bay, Mayor Jim Schmitt and former City Council President Chad Fradette over the display. The lawsuit claims the display depicting the birth of Jesus violates the Constitution as a governmental endorsement of religion.

I can’t get too worked up about any of this. I’m sure most of us Pastafarians are not offended by Jesus displays. I assume that most Christians would enjoy a festive Pastafarian display. If we’re going to allow one religious display, why not allow them all? What’s the problem? Who doesn’t like pirates and strippers?

fsm-nativity2.jpg

Maybe Green Bay mayor Jim Schmitt just doesn’t understand what a wonderful belief system we have. I can’t help but wonder if this all could have been avoided if we had done more evangelizing.

I suppose the Mayor will be busy for a while battling for his right to endorse Jesus with government resources, but after this lawsuit dies down maybe we can convert him to the one True religion.

You can read more about the lawsuit at the Chicago Tribune here.

41 Responses to “Court date set for Green Bay nativity scene lawsuit”

1. TurkeyBurgers says:

You people make me SICK! Such an abomination as a “Flying Spaghetti Monster” is a mockery to the one true god, the
    Invisible Pink Unicorn(blessed be her holy hooves). Your false prophet is a disease and sobering reality of deceit that spits rum soaked mouthfuls of slanderous sailor potty mouth denial! How can you NOT SEE THE TRUTH of the unicorns beautiful rainbow of hope and loving pink graceful strides of single one horn unity! You will spend eternity being trampled under her loving joyous forgiving hooves in an endless pit of molten lava being stabbed by her pink horn because she loves you.

2. Penne Pete says:

Well if they used government funds to purchase or pay for setup of the display, then they may have a case for misappropriation of funds. From the article it seems like a Wiccan display went up as well before it was vandalized.

Seems like the mayor found out that there is more than one religion in the world. You either treat them all equally with representation, or leave them all out equally.

3. Pirate Mac says:

Hahaha, I know how my house will be decorated this ChriFSMas :D

4. Red Dutch Pasta Wench says:

BlackBard, perish the thought!! Of course not! Forgive me oh wenches-who-like-female-strippers! I am thoroughly ashamed I left anyone out :))) OUR heaven is for everyone to enjoy!

5. Tagliatelli Priest says:

Heaven? Life after Death? Nothing? Reincarnation?

I believe, that whatever you believe happens when you die, WILL happen. Whether it’s a beer volcano, reincarnation, getting to meet Jesus, being a barbecue impersonation, getting 77 virgins, or fighting all day in Valhalla, or an empty void. If you think whatever it is is going to happen when you die, then it’ll happen.

But, I’d choose the strippers and the beer…If I were you!

6. TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

I hope that :))) means a BIG smile, and not multiple chins, RDPW.

And Pirate Mac: love the ChriFSMas. Hey, after reading how Thor, Balder, Dionosyes (sp?), Horus and others were supposedly born on Dec. 25th, I was wondering if the FSM was boiled on that day?

7. Pirate Waardie says:

@TheFewTheProudTheMarinara

Haha I just read that somewhere else, not taking credit for it :P Trust me, I’m not that clever xD

-Pirate (Mac) Waardie

P.s – How are those Ales coming along? xD

8. Red Dutchpasta Wench says:

22 – August 13th, 2008 at 1:36 pm – TheFewTheProudTheMarinara Says:

I hope that :))) means a BIG smile, and not multiple chins, RDPW.
    Hahahahaha, biiiiig smile of course. However if you eat too much spaghetti the second idea might be more appropiate ;)