Court date set for Green Bay nativity scene lawsuit

Published August 12th, 2008 by Bobby Henderson

plastic-jesus2.jpg

Some of us what happened last Christmas when Green Bay city officials installed a Christian nativity scene atop a public building. Drama ensued when the city would not allow displays representing other religions – including the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. They mayor referred to a proposed Pastafarian display as “silly”. (Clearly he hadn’t seen my schematic (below)).

Now the city of Green Bay is being sued. Not by us – by the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

The Madison-based foundation and 14 local residents are suing the city of Green Bay, Mayor Jim Schmitt and former City Council President Chad Fradette over the display. The lawsuit claims the display depicting the birth of Jesus violates the Constitution as a governmental endorsement of religion.

I can’t get too worked up about any of this. I’m sure most of us Pastafarians are not offended by Jesus displays. I assume that most Christians would enjoy a festive Pastafarian display. If we’re going to allow one religious display, why not allow them all? What’s the problem? Who doesn’t like pirates and strippers?

fsm-nativity2.jpg

Maybe Green Bay mayor Jim Schmitt just doesn’t understand what a wonderful belief system we have. I can’t help but wonder if this all could have been avoided if we had done more evangelizing.

I suppose the Mayor will be busy for a while battling for his right to endorse Jesus with government resources, but after this lawsuit dies down maybe we can convert him to the one True religion.

You can read more about the lawsuit at the Chicago Tribune here.

41 Responses to “Court date set for Green Bay nativity scene lawsuit”

1. Usakura says:

Maybe the pirate can be persuaded to strip..? ;)

2. Darwin'sMonkey says:

I’m not trying to re-write the history of the FSM and all of his noodly glory, but maybe we could have pirate strippers and kill two birds with one stone, oh and a big statue of Horus so the xtians could find out the truth of where all of their beliefs have been stolen from…. hmmmpphhhh “tho shalt not steal”, after we steal our entire religion, then we begin that one.

3. TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

I don’t mind the Nativity scene, but I’d LOVE the FSM/pirates/strippers (OK, guy strippers, too) display. What I’d like to know is – “Were public funds spent on the creche? If so, they owe us a kick-ass FSM!

4. Darwinfish says:

How long until we see midgit pirate strippers? lol

Major credit to the Freedom from Religion foundation. Here’s to hoping they win. *toast of rum*

5. YAR YAR says:

Simply brilliant!

I love you work!

I love the fsm!

I love all pastafarians!

I love life!

love love love

let’s breed more pirates!

6. Sarah says:

Very nice, but it would be good to put the strippers in wench-like outfits, or black bikinis with the jolly roger on the butt and big, plumed hats (I’m thinking lots of ostrich feathers, like the Las Vagas showgirls wear), and the midget should be a pirate as well (like Mr. Marty from Pirates of the Caribbean).

• Keith says:

How about the crew from “Time Bandits?”

7. BlackBard says:

Red Dutchpasta, let’s not leave out the wenches who like female strippers, either.

RAmen

8. YAR YAR YAR says:

“but maybe we could have pirate strippers and kill two birds with one stone”

A real pirate can kill two stones with one bird! fyi :P